BC Boards

my boy is getting meaner....

My boy, BJ, is 9 1/2 yrs.old. He has always had a problem with other dogs in his space, but he seems to be getting worse. He is starting to attack our other dogs at what seems very random times. Our newfie was walking by him to go to the other room and he attacked her. She is a very shy and gentle girl and does her best to stay out of his way. I don't understand what is happening to him and why the attacks are escalating. I am now leashing him in the house, keeping him by me on the leash or actually putting him in another room by himself with a gate up.

Its becoming very stressful in our house. The other three dogs try to give him a wide berth, but sometimes they have no choice but to come closer to him.

If anyone has suggestions on how I can keep him from attacking the others, I would be grateful.

I second the vet.

What however also comes to mind is that with age these guys get more vulnerable. I see it in my guys. They seem much more protective off their bubble. I believe it is because they can't defend themselves anymore. Can't see, smell, hear a possible "threat" to their safety. My girl looses her balance very easy now. Any bump can throw her off. She is getting grumpier. So I keep HER safe from my others. She has the right of way. She had seniority.

What everyone else said, have a thorough vet check.

Things like loss of hearing or sight, pain from everday aging issues (like arthritis), and concern about loss of status can all contribute to an older dog becoming more anxious and possibly aggressive (without apparent reason).

In the meantime, at home, what you can do is manage your dogs - use baby gates to separate animals so that you don't have to shut doors and make any of them feel totally shut out from the family. Utilize a leash when and if you need to. You can tether the dog to you at times so that dog is always right where you can keep an eye on him. You might be able to use crates, rotating who is crated and who isn't (but remember that some dogs can become defensive of their crate, so set things up so that you avoid that additional issue).

Most dogs age gracefully, sure of their position in the pack and without an underlying physical or mental issue to affect them. But some don't, and good vet care and your management are key to keeping everyone safe and happy.

Best wishes!

I agree with others....the Vet should be your first stop for a thorough evaluation. Tethering is best utilized with just an individual pup / dog as a tethered dog is often a more defensive dog around other dogs. It might actually exacerbate the situation. I would keep them separated until the examination results and go from there. Good luck! :)

See a vet. Common causes of increased aggression include dropping thyroid hormone levels, pain from arthritis, vision or hearing loss, some infectious diseases, cancer and cognitive dysfunction.

As a Professional (Companion/Family Dog), Dog Trainer, when ever I get a call form a client , with an issue similar to yours..I ALWAYS suggest a COMPLETE doggy physical. Like all the others here on the boards are saying....make sure you include COMPLETE blood work to include hormone levels. This is always the first thing I request before going for my 1st visit. Rule out a physical reason, before working with the issue at hand, no matter the age. When a dog shows "aggression" that is not normal behavior for her/him, especially "older" dogs, quite often it is illness or injury. If the physical urns out ok...we then try to narrow down "other" reasons that may have created the aggressive behavior in an otherwise well behaved doggy. My best wishes for you and your boy!

Sorry, sorry, sorry....I haven't posted ANY replies to everyone that offered their advice and experiences. Life in the home is getting out of hand. This times it's not dogs causing problems. :wacko:

I have a appt. June 4th at the vet. I had the chance yesterday to give the vet a "heads up" on what our visit is for.

Someone asked if he has ever attacked or been aggressive with people. NO, he LOVES people. That we have no problems with. It does seem like his "bubble" is getting bigger.

We have been extremely vigilant about who is where in the house and have been keeping him separate from the other dogs. We are having two play times; one with just him and one with the other three dogs. I know he misses playing with one of the other dogs, but it will just have to wait.

I really appreciate everyones replies and will post after the vets visit.

Just a thought if the vet visit finds no abnormalities - I've been looking into natural anxiety remedies as it seems Kipp is starting to become more and more anxious about spending time in his outdoor kennel (darn random gunshots from a mile away :( )

I came across L-Theanine

http://www.petstruly.com/4116.html

http://reactivechampion.blogspot.com/2010/06/supplements-for-reactive-dogs-part-2.html

I've actually taken it a few times myself (human grade capsules are pretty inexpensive on Amazon) and it does really help me to relax mentally when I super stressed. I'm going to give it a try with Kipp. I've used Pet Naturals Calming ( reading over the ingredient list I realized that they contain L-Theanine ) with him before and it did seem to have a positive effect.