BC Boards

I discovered this website

http://www.agility-secrets.co.uk/

It looks like a very new site (first post in February?). An interesting concept, but I am not sure that I would get my money's worth if I joined. Regardless, does anyone have knowledge of the back story on this site? Have you, or anybody you know, joined the site? If so, opinions please.

It is a little hard to evaluate this website/approach since most of the information can be accessed only if one is a member. There isn't even one sample training video to view. The introductory video is of minimal help.

Jovi

I would ask mum24dog as she is very knowledgable and knows many of those involved in UK agility

Yes, I was hoping she would see this topic and respond. I know that there are many other knowledgeable agility addicts on the boards so was trying to obtain as many opinions as possible.

ChantalB - I was also considering a one-month, $21 experiment to see how what it was about.

Jovi

I can't comment on the content and although I have heard of it, it hasn't been a topic of discussion in the nooks and crannies of the net that I inhabit - there may have been something on FB. Not surprising that it hasn't been a hot topic as on line training advice isn't big here as most people can access a top trainer in person. TBH the title put me off since there are no Agility Secrets - just stuff that other people already know but you don't yet. Nothing secret about it.

This is the person behind it -

http://www.laurachudleigh.co.uk

How much of the content will be her and how much other people I don't know.

As you will see, she is in her mid 20s and has only had one really successful dog so far that she trained to do reasonable running contacts. I've witnessed that her RCs weren't without problems along the way but I expect she has learned from her mistakes which should make her a better trainer. She has only been playing with the big boys for about 3 years but has done quite a lot in that time. Her first dog, a working cocker, died young before she reached her full potential. Her cocker could have been very good but tbh it isn't difficult to reach the top grade with a Medium dog here - even I did it. She's now bringing on her second BC.

She's one of a number of young handlers here who promote themselves as instructors on the basis of only 1 or maybe 2 successful dogs. Some are better at it than others. My view of them skewed by the fact that I have known quite a few since they were early adolescents or even younger. Hard to think of them as all growed up.

I can't comment on Laura as I don't know anyone who has trained with her. She is out of our area and I only tend to come across her at the shows where there are Champ classes or other major qualifiers. I have never spoken to her and I think that even my daughter who knows everyone wouldn't claim to have exchanged more than a few words in passing.

It can't be denied that she is dedicated and ambitious to have come so far from nowhere in such a short time. She did hang out with the right people even before she made a name for herself and I imagine learned a lot from them.

Here's a video -

(Looks like my daughter in the purple top with her arms folded behind the A frame.)

mum24dog-

Thank you very much for your insight.

For those of us who live in a "black hole of agility", the on-line training and videos help expose us to good/great trainers and their techniques.

I did see your daughter in the video!

Jovi

I did see your daughter in the video!

Jovi

I don't have any You Tube videos of her running her dog but I keep spotting her and me in the background of other people's - rather like Where's Waldo.

I googled - "Agility Secrets" review - and did come up with a link to a facebook page. I can't access it from here, but you might be able to find more first hand insight on there if they allow open posting to the page.

A bit more info - my daughter says she has heard some good reports of Laura's training in person but she doesn't know about Agility secrets.

She's reminded me that I do know someone who has trained with her - someone who has been in agility at top level for many years has been to her for help in training RCs with his new dog and found her very helpful.

A lot cheaper than Susan Garrett certainly and Laura has more of an RC track record.

This is her new dog at its 3rd (I think) show - the biggest in the world. Very naughty what she did at the end of the last run on the clip to stop her dog winning but I can see why she didn't simply run past the last jump.

Just out of interest, how she demonstrates changes v front crosses -

I'm starting to think that we might book her to come to our club for a training day.

Are changes the same, or similar, to blind crosses? (Excuse the naive question, but am still in the process of learning.)

I liked her slo-mo because she is very good about early signalling which I am really trying to incorporate. My instructor tells us to signal early, and to see it in slo-mo makes more of an impression on me.

Jovi

Are changes the same, or similar, to blind crosses? (Excuse the naive question, but am still in the process of learning.)

Jovi

It's the first time I've heard the term here but it may be in common use for all I know. Technicalities are not my strong point and most of us don't go into sticking labels on everything. This works, that doesn't work is usually good enough.

It's not a new move. I recall someone trying to teach us to do what she demonstrates about 10 years ago at a club training day but it didn't really catch on as it was rare to see others doing it in competition. However, on mainland Europe blind moves are big and people here are trying them out, with varying degrees of success.

To me if you turn your back on your dog it's blind and you are taking a risk that probably isn't necessary. It looks flashy and can look smoother but works best with a dog that has been trained very well to expect it from the start.