BC Boards

Curly Border Collies

Crawford Dogs

I hear a lot about rough and smooth Border Collies but I never hear anything about curly ones. I have a curly boy who has curls on both sides of his family line (yes, all of his ancestors were working dogs). He only had a few waves at a year old but at 2 years he looks like he stole Shirley Temple's hair. :) His coat is actually easier to care for than other Border Collies I've had. I last bathed him at Christmas and I remove burrs occasionally. Does anyone else have curly Border Collies? Do you know how they are inherited?

post-11425-005894000 1346721826_thumb.jpg

post-11425-079772600 1346721755_thumb.jpg

I have 2 curly coats. More wavy than curly but definitely not straight. they share the same sire but he wasn't curly. I don't know any of their siblings that were curly. But they get the normal dirt of any border collie. it all falls off by morning. Mick mats a bit on his rear and behind his ears. Dew hardly ever mats.

My 4 year old black and white male is very curly coated - to the point of spirals around his neck, especially when wet. The coat is very easily maintained, brushes easily and dirt just falls out when dry. I can't comment to what his coat looked like when younger or his family since I purchased him as an adult and have not met any relatives yet. Perhaps if he is ever bred I will see how heritable it is!

Thanks so much for the input! Most people I've run into don't seem to like curly Border Collies so it's nice to see some people like the diversity. I do think Loki is truly adorable but I'm prejudiced. ;) I did bathe him yesterday (first time in 8 months?) and now he's super poofy! Oddly enough he does have several different colors of red in his coat and they are now more obvious since his bath. Even his winter coat regrows with several slightly different hues, it's kind of interesting. As a puppy his hair was straight and as a yearling he had a few butt curls. At 2 yrs he looks quite different. Have your curly dogs gotten curlier as they've aged? Do all seem to curl more on the rump?

Funnily enough last week I gave a friend a ride and when she got out of my car she stopped and asked, "where did you buy that gorgeous wig?" and wanted to know where I got it and for how much. She then peered closer and it wasn't until Loki turned around to see why someone was feeling his butt that she realized it was Loki lying on the floor in the backseat. :)

I actually found out today (a friend of mine went down and picked up a dog from my dog's breeder) that my dog is the odd one out. He had the coat and curls as a puppy and is the only one with his coat - length, thickness, and curls. His breeder was very good natured about it but made a great point - it stands out in a crowd. If I am looking for my dog in a group of other black and white border collies, he is easily seperated from the rest of the pack. And while, if I were picking a dog based on looks alone it is not a coat choice I would pick, I would not trade this serious working dog for anything.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...