BC Boards

Our first clinic

priscilla

I'll see you there!

Bring a chair, a crate for your dog when not working (some of mine can't watch - they get too excited), and jackets/clothes for most conditions. Looks like it will be nice Friday but may get some rain on Sat/Sun. Clinic goes on like usual even in the rain.

It will be a lot of fun. It's always a nice time at Walt's. You will learn a lot and your head might spin after your first clinic, but it's a good spin.

Michelle

Enjoy your first clinic! They are a great learning experience.

As Michelle said, bring clothes for all weather and a chair. Good water proof shoes are worth their weight in gold, IMO. Even without rain, I find I wear my bogs in the AM session since the fields are full of dew (well at least here they are). I always bring extra socks, too.

I have seen some people take notes during clinics, so maybe bring a notebook to jot some tips that you are given or someone else is given.

Oh, and a camera to share your pictures! :)

My biggest piece of advice is to remember that you and your dog are not there to impress the clinician (may not be a problem with a total newbie). I have seen so many people at clinics obsess over the things their dog didn't do right when they wanted to show the clinician how good their dog was. What they've forgotten is that the clinician is there to help you fix the problems and advance your training. If your dog is already perfect then you probably don't need to be there! ;)

So relax, don't be intimidated, and most of all have fun. Keep an open mind and remember that a dog who is just seeing sheep for the first time is probably going to do some very silly things. Jack will help you and your dog work through that stuff.

The other piece of advice I have is to pay close attention to the other participants during their turns. I've found that I learn more from watching a clinician work with other people, largely because I can actually concentrate on what the dog is doing and what Jack is doing to deal with that, without having to also think about what my dog is doing and what I need to be doing in response to that. It always astounds me how people will talk and socialize and not pay the least bit of attention to what's going on in lessons besides their own. Your dog may not exhibit the problems the dog of the moment has, but that doesn't mean that it (or another future dog) won't, so it never hurts to have tools already in your toolbox should you later encounter some of those same problems with your dog. Paying attention to the other clinic entrants is like getting extra lessons for free!

Definitely take notes if you're the note-taking type, and don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions, even if you think they might be silly ones. Questions always make a clinic more interesting (probably for the clinician too).

One final note: Jack's accent is pretty strong. He can be difficult to understand sometimes, even for those of us who know him well. If you don't understand what he said, ask him to repeat it!

J.

I have nothing whatsoever to add to the great things Julie has said, but just want to echo her great advice. You are so very fortunate to be going to a Jack clinic, as he's the absolute best (IMO). Just soak up all you can, ask questions, and, YES! watch all the other dogs, too. LOTS to learn. And have fun!

A

Try and pay attention to the clinician and not get sucked into other conversations; Don't be afraid to tell people to take their side talk elsewhere (ok, see a pet peeve from me here?)

My first clinic was with Alasdair Mcrae; He asked me what my dog's problem was (umm crossing over, not stopping, pushy, not stopping, not listening); I wanted her to be good...but she crossed over, didn't stop and flanked all over the place...i was embarassed because she was bad. But we fixed stuff so quickly and the clinican is there to help you fix stuff!

Don't forget suncreen, warm and cold weather clothing (leash, collar, crate...), camera, a notepad, chair, and your sense of humour!

And remember to have fun

Cynthia

I echo Julie's advise. Specially the part about not worrying if your dog is not perfect or trying to impress the clinician with what your dog can do.

I probably wasted a year of clinics doing just that, or at least worrying that my dog did not preform like I thought he should.

Try hard not to get caught up in the side chatter and pay attention. It's harder than it sounds.

Jack is the best! By the time you leave you will even be speaking with an accent to your dog...at least with the "Lie Dune"! ;)

Thanks for the great advice, y'all! It never would've occurred to me to bring stuff for taking notes. So, pencil and paper added to the list: check! Waterproof shoes: check! Camera: check!

... and I have no worries about impressing Jack or anyone else. As an utter newbies, I will have no way of knowing whether Bella and I are doing well.

Bottom line: LOOKS LIKE FUN! I hope to see you there. Anyone who sees a foggy handler walking with a wee bit 'o smooth coat border collie, remember that it's probably me and introduce yourself.

Here's Bella:

post-12921-002405700 1332868946_thumb.jpg

Hi Pricilla,

I wholeheartedly agree with the advice that others here have given you (especially Julie)! Please do all of the things mentioned above, go with an open mind, and try to absorb as much knowledge as you can this weekend!

One thing to keep in mind is that our wonderful Border Collies come preprogrammed with the desire to interact with sheep (well, most do anyway). For young dogs that have never be exposed to sheep, this desire may need a bit of refining at first. Please don't be upset if your dog behaves rashly, as Jack will be there to help the dog understand that calm, quiet interaction with the sheep is the goal. Or, if you dog is worried by being in close proximity with sheep, Jack will know how to help bring out the desire to work in the dog.

As others have written, I hope that you have a wonderful time at the clinic! Please post a follow-up afterward!

Regards,

nancy

Hi Pricilla,

I wholeheartedly agree with the advice that others here have given you (especially Julie)! Please do all of the things mentioned above, go with an open mind, and try to absorb as much knowledge as you can this weekend!

One thing to keep in mind is that our wonderful Border Collies come preprogrammed with the desire to interact with sheep (well, most do anyway). For young dogs that have never be exposed to sheep, this desire may need a bit of refining at first. Please don't be upset if your dog behaves rashly, as Jack will be there to help the dog understand that calm, quiet interaction with the sheep is the goal. Or, if you dog is worried by being in close proximity with sheep, Jack will know how to help bring out the desire to work in the dog.

As others have written, I hope that you have a wonderful time at the clinic! Please post a follow-up afterward!

Regards,

nancy

Thanks, Nancy. I'll post a follow-up, for sure.

Do not try to make your dog look perfect; Jack wants you to allow the dog to makes mistakes so that he can help you fix them. If people around you are socializing and chatting, move to a different place where you can hear what is happening on the field. The whole point of a clinic is to learn from the other participants, much more than just your own session.

Jack is awesome, you will learn lots and have fun.

cheers Lani

For some reason only one photo to see, of a group of sheep apparently worked though there is no dog in the pic.

Maybe I need a facebook account? I am one of those ever rarer individuals that has resisted that dark temptation so far....

See if you can mouse over the photo; an arrow should appear on either side of the shot. Click on one to go to the next picture. Good luck!

How was My First Clinic? Here you go:

Saw some wonderful dogs! Oh. Plus people. I met some incredible people, too.

Seriously, y'all, I can't think of a better way to get introduced to a great community of folks. Anyone who was there knows that I brought a frightened rescue who'll likely never rise to the level of sheepherding novice, much less show in the kind of arena the top trials represent. But for a weekend, at least, she was one o' the dawgs. It was good for her.

I, on the other hand, feel as though I'm overflowing, grasping to assimilate all I heard before it gets away. Jack's incredible himself, and it will take days for me to absorb that which he has given.

Where will we go from here? Don't know. I will say this: I was warned about being bit by the bug, and I didn't take it seriously. I should have. :D

At some point this week, I'll add to the blog I write and share the link here. In the meantime, in case you didn't see them, here are some photos. Tip o' the hat to Michelle Dobbs for the shots taken while Bella and I were in the ring.

P.S. Blog entry is up.

• 1 month later...