BC Boards

Expressing Glands

~*Regina*~

Expressing anal glands... Who else here does it to there dogs? Willow of course has a problem expressing them normally when she goes to the bathroom and I can tell when it's bothering her because she keeps looking back at her butt and it smells! The vet said it's nothing to worry about and the vet express them for me but she said I can always do it at home if I wanted. Ummm, GROSS!! but I feel as if maybe I should... I watched a couple video's on youtube but it's hard to see; anyone have any tips, lol?

You might want to consider trying a different food.

Maddie used to blow them a lot. When I started adding some raw bone to her diet (chicken necks), it started to happen a lot less. When I put her on a grain free diet, it stopped happening almost altogether.

I had a Collie mix that had to have it done once a week. I put my thumb at 8 'o'clock and my index finger at 4 'o clock (about an inch or an inch and a half from the anus) and squeeze in and up in a pinching motion. If they are full you can feel them - sort of like little grapes. The stuff squirts out the anus, and it's REALLY NASTY. I used to do it outside.

It doesn't seem to hurt them if the glands are not too badly impacted or infected, but it doesn't feel great either.

Don't get it on you! It does wash off but the smell is persistent. I used a paper towel to cover the anus with. The stuff should be a clearish brown or greeny-brown.

If it's green, yellow or has a pinkish tinge I would suspect infection.

I have a friend who has a Pug that has to have hers done all the time. Sometimes it leaks out. They call it "butoxin."

I tried to learn how to do this, after deciding I didn't want to pay $25 every time I had my vet do it. Then I decided $25 was a valid price to avoid doing this. :)

My vet tech said, "You could do it yourself - but why would you want to?"

Mary

I do Micks often. Some dogs need it done more often than others.

Geonni explained it well.

I have mick stand between my legs head facing back. Hold his tail with one hand and express with the other hand. As long as you don't lean over to much (if you do, you won't like what happens ;) ) Mick actually has a command for this. " let me do your butt Mick" and he happily assumes the position, so I'm pretty sure it feels better for him and doesn't hurt when we do it.

I use a diaper wiper to clean his bum after I'm done.

It's really no big deal. I totally agree with Smalaunder, not going to pay or hassle with someone else doing it when its so easy.

The gross factor is like changing a babies diaper. Get over it!

Okay, my wife snug up on me from behind, twisted my arm behind my back and forced me to type the following confession:

"I have never expressed the anal glands of any of my dogs, all I did was restrain the dog while my wife valiantly took care of the icky business at the rear end.

I will not ever again make cocky remarks about stuff I know nothing about."

Bear it mind this confession was made under duress.

Okay, my wife snug up on me from behind, twisted my arm behind my back and forced me to type the following confession:

"I have never expressed the anal glands of any of my dogs, all I did was restrain the dog while my wife valiantly took care of the icky business at the rear end.

:) Thank you for the laugh! I just about had my St Patties day beer spray out my nose laughing at this comment!!! :)

If it's green, yellow or has a pinkish tinge I would suspect infection.

Just want to mention that in my experience, and that seems to be vast cause all my friends know I'm an expert at expressing AG's :blink: and I usually end up doing all my doggie friends, that all come in different colors, smells and textures.

My Raven who doesn't need them done often looks like creamy light yellow goo, where Micks's is usually clear brown liquid. Another friends dogs is brown with bits of stuff in it.

So not all the time does the color tell you if they're infected or not. sometimes it's just the color.

Smalahunder, So gald you set the record straight! :lol: No one should take credit for such a job unless forced too! But you are right, why pay for something that is so easy to do.

Seriously, if they aren't easy to do, then they are usually impacted or you just need to have someone show you how, cause you might not have your fingers in the right place. I once let Mick's go to long, I had to take him to the vet. They were impacted and it was very painful for the poor guy and I couldn't get anything out. That time the vet had to do them internally which I don't recommend doing unless you're a vet. Easier to do damage from the inside.

Cadi occasionally needs her glands expressed. I can usually tell, because she starts rubbing her butt against the couch. She goes to the groomer every few months and I just ask them to do it since she's there anyway. I think if she needed it more often, I'd have to suck it up and do it myself. Ewww...

Thank your wife for me, Smalahundur. That was a nice confession, even under duress.

Shonie was the only dog who needed it, and she seemed to need it frequently. My vet showed me, and though it's a bit tricky, once you get it, it's pretty simple. Kinda like riding a bicycle, only a lot smellier.

Gibbs, god love him, expresses a little squirt almost every time he poops. Seems to be in good working order.

Ruth

Archived