BC Boards

Interceptor

Jimmyd65

I feel your pain, I not only use Interceptor for my BC, but he takes Clomicalm also. The Clomicalm comes in 20mg tablets and the generic 25 - Buster takes 45mg twice a day. I hate to boost him up to up to the max dosage when he doesn't need it, but I know I can't go that much lower either.

Called the Vet's office about the Clomicalm, they can't get it, but a local compounding pharmacy will make the tablets for only 1.5 times as much as I pay already. I was paying $35 for 30 Clomicalm and about that much for 120 Clomipramine (just recently up from $20/120). That takes me from about $87 a month to $108 per month.

I guess it is still less expensive than new doors.

post-7560-045489700 1327346010_thumb.jpg

Saw this today and ordered a year supply of Interceptor for my two. Has anyone else heard about this? What would be your alternatives?

http://blog.vetdepot.com/novartis-suspends-production-of-interceptor-sentinel-program-clomicalm-and-deramaxx

My vet gave me this info last saturday siad when my 6 month supply runs out they have another product that will not be issue for my BC or Aussie I did ot get the name but they did say they thought the Novatis issue would be resolved before that.

It seems many folks will switch to Trifexis, which has the milbemycin oxime that is the HW preventive in Interceptor, but also has spinosad for flea control.

I got a friend to get me another year's supply of Interceptor for my epileptic dog; everyone else is on ivermectin so we're okay there....

J.

Don't use interceptor but use Clomicalm. Snap gets 20mg twice a day and usually I get the 40mg tablet and break it in half. That way a 30 tablet bottle lasts a month. Checked yesterday to get for next month and was only able to get a 2 month supply of 20mg tablets. Thanks for the info on compounding pharmacy's. Will check with that since there are a couple around close. Hopefully Novartis will get the problem solved before that runs out. Don't want to mess with meds that are working in a 15 year old.

Jenny

It seems many folks will switch to Trifexis, which has the milbemycin oxime that is the HW preventive in Interceptor, but also has spinosad for flea control.

I got a friend to get me another year's supply of Interceptor for my epileptic dog; everyone else is on ivermectin so we're okay there....

J.

There have been some issues with trifexis...I don't think I would use it yet. It is too new for me to trust it. Remember the comfortis/ivermectin & the seizure issues weren't discovered until after it was released onto the market.

JMO, of course :)

Yup, I'm with you, Cindy. My vet recommended Trifexis last time we got meds, but knowing it was new to the market, I passed. I will have to give it some more time before I'd try it.

Back to Interceptor, I just called my vet's office so that my husband could stop by and pick some up. The tech who answered the phone hadn't heard about the plant closing/shortage issue and they have plenty. I got two boxes, but with 3 dogs that will only last a few months. Hopefully Novartis gets it together by then.

• 1 month later...

Well I only have one month of Interceptor left for my crew, so need to find an alternative. What else are people using besides Trifexis? I could go Heartgard, but would prefer something that kills the other worms as well, like Interceptor.

My vet told me about this a few months ago. Said she didn't know when they'd be able to get Interceptor again. Posted it here, wondering about alternatives but no one had heard about it yet.

Was wary about giving Daniel Trifexis; had the same reservations as others. Don't want my dog being a guinea pig. I do think it makes him lethargic, but then again, it's sort of hard to tell in a senior rescue. Don't know what his energy level was before we got him. I'm watching closely for negative side effects.

Can't remember the name of the product right now (possibly from Fort Dodge?), but a few years ago the vet was pushing a new flea med. Read the leaflet and decided against it for Scooter. Glad I did. Lots of dogs, and people, ended up having side effects from using it. Eventually, the vet went back to the other product. Sometimes difficult to know what is best for our buddies. Basically, I guess I don't like anything that's touted as the newest thing. I prefer to wait and see.

to those looking for sources for Interceptor, Check Lambert Vet Supply, your vet would need to write you a prescription that you could mail them or they have a fax number the vet could fax the prescription. The website for Lambert Vet has instructions on ordering prescription meds.....

Hmmm, must have gotten the last of it......from Lambert....checked Valley Vet and they show the 11 to 25# out of stock.........the other sizes are not showing out of stock, but do say call for availability....the number to call to check on availability is 800 419 9524. Wouldn't hurt to call and at least check....good luck in the hunt

Archived