BC Boards

Sunburnt Coat in Red and White BC's

When I adopted Zipp, my Red and White male, his coat was in terrible shape. Evidently he had run loose for a while before he was rescued, I suspect this was because of the wild fires we had a month or so prior to his rescue. His coat was sunburnt and wind burnt. Over time his coat has lost most of that damaged hair.

My question is how do I prevent or at least keep most of his coat being damaged again this coming summer? I feed Taste of the Wild, which he seems to thrive on. I brush him out regularly. What else can I do?

Thank You.

I don't think you can really stop the fading that the sun causes. FWIW, my dogs are house dogs (i.e., they don't spend most of their time outdoors), and yet the red dogs all seem to fade. When they blow their coats, the new coat will come in nice and dark and then the fading process begins anew...

J.

I had a deep liver chestnut Morgan, yep, only allowed out at night. Now this was in South Fl. so it was a win-win especially during the summer, or he went out with a fly sheet on. Fall and winter, day time turn out. We also made sure to keep him on Kelp.

When I adopted Zipp, my Red and White male, his coat was in terrible shape. Evidently he had run loose for a while before he was rescued, I suspect this was because of the wild fires we had a month or so prior to his rescue. His coat was sunburnt and wind burnt. Over time his coat has lost most of that damaged hair.

My question is how do I prevent or at least keep most of his coat being damaged again this coming summer? I feed Taste of the Wild, which he seems to thrive on. I brush him out regularly. What else can I do?

Thank You.

Robin is a very dark red. His coat fades a bit in summer to a brighter auburn shade with gold "highlights" -- also pretty but I prefer the darker red. It turns right back again in the fall. By November (here in PA), his normal coat color has returned.

Huh, interesting. I have a dark red and white girl who is a house dog except for the fun we have outside all year round. She is 12 years old now and she has never faded in the summer, her coat stays deep auburn all year round. I'm honestly not sure why. I don't do anything special and have fed a variety of foods over the years. I never really thought about it.

Archived