BC Boards

Tails

Donkeyhote

Almost every picture I see on-line here shows Border Collies with a lovely, fluffy tail. My girl, who we figure to be a BC-mix (unknown mix) has a rather hairless tail. Sometimes she carries it low, other times curled over her back. Any way to know what kind of a tail she'll develop other than genetic testing? She is not very fluffy anywhere, but is remaining very silky. Will be six mos. 12/9.

If you do a Google image search for "Working Stockdog" you will see lots of non-fluffy tailed border collies scattered amongst the photos.

It's kinda fun to scroll through the different photos, many different coat lengths, colors, patterns and working styles.

When we got Dave at about 3 1/2 months old, he and his tail were pretty sparse. He too is a mix of Border collie mom and unknown male. He will be three in January and as you can see, he fluffed out quite nicely...

6428005303_9f7f7a5eb4.jpg

Mike

When we got Dave at about 3 1/2 months old, he and his tail were pretty sparse. He too is a mix of Border collie mom and unknown male. He will be three in January and as you can see, he fluffed out quite nicely...

6428005303_9f7f7a5eb4.jpg

Mike

That's a really nice one of Dave. Could be a shampoo commercial.

Kaida has a curly tail whilst Eveas is loose and flowing.. when both were pups they we just plain jane pencils.. as they have grown its "fluffed" out a bit. Kaidas gets even more fluffed out when shes excited..

14655555_600.jpg

Sorry no photos....but my youngster's tail has always been a bit, um, "thin." (I think it started out fluffier, but after neutering at 13 months...) I always hate having to brush it, for fear of actually pulling out hair! OTOH, my old gal (15 yr 9 mo!) has always had a pretty good flag....but in her old age, it is positively monstrous!!

diane

This tail isn't as glorious as Dave's, but I think Rex's warrants extra marks for its ridiculousness.

D30_6291.jpg

When he is working sheep, you don't see this magnificent plume, but at all other times, it is held up high! Lou wants you to know his tail never plumes like that. biggrin.gif

unfortunately we all have fluffy tails. It's heck when they get old and matted all the time, and when young it's a burr magnet.

My favorite BC is a smoothie, i have all very ruff coated dogs. Go figure!

I really don't care what their tails are like except down when working!

Thank you for all the replies on Border Collie tails. Right after I posted this I figured people would think I was "anal" for worrying about it. All the answers were reassuring and informative!

Archived