BC Boards

Unsettling article in the NYtimes today

All the adults involved are pretty stupid. You don't get a new dog and turn it loose like that. Of course she has some issues - her life was turned upside down and she ìs expected to fit in flawlessly from the get go. A 72 ìs period ìs pretty short. but perhaps that ìs what you do if your market ìs the clueless public. As far as the article title goes, that ìs pretty clueless too. The importance of research before you get a dog would have been better

What a nightmare, especially for the dog. I agree with the OP- the 72-hour policy is a joke.

I wish the article would've gone into a little more detail about the purchaser... buying a fully trained, working-bred Schutzhund GSD is no small thing. Did this person have experience with GSDs? Was the dog getting worked? Did the purchaser have a use for a protection dog?

Now, if the dog really did go after the guy's kids a couple of times, that really is a serious offense. But I can't help but wonder how much of this is just a bad case of buyer's remorse, for shelling out $7500 for a dog on the other side of the country that you'd never laid eyes on.

Now, if the dog really did go after the guy's kids a couple of times, that really is a serious offense. But I can't help but wonder how much of this is just a bad case of buyer's remorse, for shelling out $7500 for a dog on the other side of the country that you'd never laid eyes on.

I'd wonder what is "the rest of the story". What was the dog like? How well was she socialized? She was five years old, if I remember correctly - what had she been doing for five years? Had she been in other homes and returned? What's the back story on that? How did the purchaser's children treat her? Did they tease her? Were they little and noisy and unpredictable? Were they older and rowdy or teasing?

I see too many ads in certain magazines (in the waiting room at the vet office) for people selling trained dogs for protection and so on. Honestly, is buying cross-country, without ever meeting the dog in person, a good idea at all? Considering her cost, it would have not been too expensive to take a trip out there to meet the dog, meet the trainers/sellers, see the facility, and so on.

As said, it's hard to tell who is the bigger idiot in this story - and, as usual, the animal pays the price for that stupidity/greed/ignorance...

Maybe titling this something like, "A Cautionary Tale" and making it more of an educational article than a news article, might have done so much more good. Maybe a warning against buying dogs (or other living creatures) over the internet and from someone you don't know?

I have always felt that when animals (any species) are involved in a profit-making business, when a decision is made there is a good chance that decision will be based on profit -- not the animal's welfare. Case in point: when a boarding kennel contracts a contagious disease, it would be best to shut down and not take other dogs until it is gone. However, shutting down would stop revenue that is needed in the business, so they stay open and infect more and more animals. The decision made is a business decision. period. That's just the way a business is run.

When I had puppies (a whopping 5 litters in my lifetime) I had rules: you could not get a dog on impulse...you had to go home and think about it and then come back a second time if you wanted to purchase. All my puppies were sold with a contract saying I had the right of first refusal. So if you wanted to get rid of my dog, it had to come back to me. Those whose sole goal is to make a profit, want that quick buck and don't want the dog back.

No one wants to take responsibility anymore...not the stupid person who ordered a $7500 dog without seeing it, nor the breeder/trainer who would sell like that. No one, of course, considered the dog. It's sad. :(

Kraftwerk K9 has a lot of questionable reviews on the net.

He has been the topic of conversation on the Pedigree Database often.

So I think there maybe more than one side to the story.

With the dog being the looser in it as always. :(

Kraftwerk K9 has a lot of questionable reviews on the net.

He has been the topic of conversation on the Pedigree Database often.

So I think there maybe more than one side to the story.

With the dog being the looser in it as always. :(

Not personal experience with them though. Just wanted to add that.

First red flag is that it's called a company--like they manufacture the dogs. :/

That just doesn't feel right to me.

edit:

Nevermind, all of it is a red flag. Mr. Durbin sounds like he's never handled a trained schutzhund dog before, or, really, any dog, and Kraftwerk just sounds super sketch. :/

When I read the story, my first thought went to this Article and that the buyer was looking for a similar dog on the "cheap". Buying a highly trained dog in schutzhund / protection with no handling knowledge would be like me buying a good trained working border collie and wondering why it did not move the sheep for me.

The victim is definitely the dog.

Archived