BC Boards

To get another dog or not.

I'm very confused right now. We just lost Lacee on July 23rd and I really don't feel ready for another dog. BUT, Danny has regressed since losing Lacee. She taught him how to be a dog, to play, to go potty outside, etc. They loved rough housing together. Now he seems really depressed and has gone backwards on coming out of his shell. His terror of being outside has increased.

I guess my question is can I do enough for him or does he need a new friend. I'm nervous that I would choose the wrong one. He needs a leader, so the dog would need to be an alpha and want to be around Danny. I would definately want an older one.

Any help or suggestions are deeply appreciated.

This is based on nothing but opinion but....a new dog would be an unknown. You, however, are a known. You know Danny, his idiosyncracies and fears. For the time being I would just ramp up your one on one time (a lot), train, treat and cuddle. Keep an eye out for the right dog but carefully observe him/her before introducing them to Danny. Fostering would be good if the agreement would be that the foster would be in another home ASAP if things started to degrade.

This is based on nothing but opinion but....a new dog would be an unknown. You, however, are a known. You know Danny, his idiosyncracies and fears. For the time being I would just ramp up your one on one time (a lot), train, treat and cuddle. Keep an eye out for the right dog but carefully observe him/her before introducing them to Danny. Fostering would be good if the agreement would be that the foster would be in another home ASAP if things started to degrade.

That's exactly my fear. That a new dog would complicate things more. As for one on one time with him, he has plenty of that! He won't let me out of his sight and we do a lot of cuddling and ball playing. I wonder if I need someone to help me with his anxiety issues regarding going anywhere other than his house and back yard. I had a behaviorist a while ago, but it just didn't work.

Ideally, I would like to just keep him as an only dog, but am afraid I'm not cut out to be the leader. I feel like I'm not doing it right. I mean, it's been 11 months and he still won't walk out front on a leash. Am I doing him a disservice by not really knowing how to move forward?

Having recently lost my 15 year old dog, our entire house was grieving especially 10 year old Spur. I was planning to wait about getting another dog but Spur continued to get more lethargic and I was concerned he might go downhill quick. Plus I found a pup that seemed just right for me. So I brought her home two weeks ago. And as I posted in another thread, Spur wasn't too keen on the idea. But as of yesterday he is starting to come around and for the second day in a row, has actually played with the new girl and acted more like his old self. So I am cautiously optimistic that it is going to be a good thing. He was just so used to having another dog in the house that I could not envision him without one. (Or me either for that matter.) Best of luck to you and Danny. He is a beauty!

Two rescues that I would recommend in the VA/MD area are Blue Ridge (contact Sylvia) and Mid-Atlantic. The fostering idea might be a great alternative if the rescue would be comfortable with that. Also, reputable rescues will allow you to meet-and-greet, and that could be a first step towards finding a compatible dog.

Very best wishes!

Fostering sounds great. I never thought of that for some reason. I have no idea how to go about finding a place that would allow me to foster. Any ideas?

I am fostering a BC mix for BRBCR that you might want to consider. Please check out Penny on the Blue Ridge Border Collie Rescue website. She is a confident girl but without being a snarky alpha dog. She gets along well with my 2 dogs. (It was only 1-2 days, and then I was comfortable letting her mix with my dogs.) She is happy to do things with you, play with companion dogs, learn new stuff or just chill in the house. (She loves to sleep under the bed at night.)

BRBCR allows for a 2 week trial to see if a placement works out. Even after that, I know that they have taken back dogs that have not worked out since everyone wants what is best for the dog.

Jovi

Two rescues that I would recommend in the VA/MD area are Blue Ridge (contact Sylvia) and Mid-Atlantic. The fostering idea might be a great alternative if the rescue would be comfortable with that. Also, reputable rescues will allow you to meet-and-greet, and that could be a first step towards finding a compatible dog.

Very best wishes!

Thank you for the suggestions. I adopted Danny from Mid-Atlantic. Sarah said that when I'm ready to adopt, to let her know and she'll start looking. I'm not there yet. I get real sad when I think about adopting another dog. I want my Lacee back. She was so good, an angel from the start. This shouldn't have happened. :( I should have had another several years with her.

I am fostering a BC mix for BRBCR that you might want to consider. Please check out Penny on the Blue Ridge Border Collie Rescue website. She is a confident girl but without being a snarky alpha dog. She gets along well with my 2 dogs. (It was only 1-2 days, and then I was comfortable letting her mix with my dogs.) She is happy to do things with you, play with companion dogs, learn new stuff or just chill in the house. (She loves to sleep under the bed at night.)

BRBCR allows for a 2 week trial to see if a placement works out. Even after that, I know that they have taken back dogs that have not worked out since everyone wants what is best for the dog.

Jovi

Penny is very cute. I wish I had the energy and will power to go through the process of getting another dog. I'm still traumatized by all the needs Danny has and his anxiety. He's worn me out this past year. So I think it will be a little longer till I'm ready. I'm still so sad and every dot I look at, I want it to be Lacee. So I don't think I can do it now.

I would probably hold off.

I do believe that another dog can help another. But the basic force behind that that the dog with the issues deferes to another dog not "his" human.

I also believe that there are probably dogs that can/will not or have a really tough time bonding to humans for whatever reason.

Maybe hold off and see if Danny can start looking to you for more support. After all he has had some help from your girl for a while. Positive energy/thinking from you maybe be just what he needs along with some time to figure things out.

Archived