BC Boards

Thunderphobia plus

sea4th

As this is a foster dog, I would think long and hard about if this dog is a good candidate for adoption. I'm not saying he isn't, but if his issues are this severe whats the reality about finding him a forever home who can deal with him? You have only so much energy and sanity...

This is a really good point.

So, before deciding on which meds to put him on, would anything show up in bloodwork that might steer us in the right direction?

Honestly at this point I'd just see about starting him on meds - general for anti-anxiety and something stronger to keep on hand for storms. Both for his quality of life and yours. And I'd get some to keep on hand for your other dog that is bothered by storms. One of the best things I ever did for Kipp - and me -was to get meds for him as soon as he started being bothered by storm. Even if you're not there to give them all the time, when you are there you'll both have relief. This is a quality of life issue and I'd treat it the same that I'd treat pain or something similar.

You say he is fine in the car. With this is mind, along with starting anti anxiety meds, I think I'd try geting an airline crate and crating him in the car in hopes that he'd start to transfer the "safe place" mentality over to the crate. Maybe start another routine as well like giving him a stuffed kong or adding some sort of white noise when you put him out in the car. Something that you'll be able to transfer elsewhere eventually.

Is Fletcher any better if he has worked the day of the storm? My thunderphobic is usually down a couple of notches in his behavior if he's worked every day. He also doesn't like gunshots or fireworks when simply in the house, but will work through them like they aren't there if he's on sheep. He definately gets pent up and harder to deal with if he hasn't worked for a few days. Keeps me moving forward, so I thank him for that.

The car safety makes sense to me. I had one this bad, storm phobia, and it was either the car or the bathroom. Cars are grounded, so I've been told, as well as bathtubs. PM lenajo, she had to buy a special, escape proof, damage proof, crate. It may the one Pam is talking about. Solid panels (aluminum) no way to eat, chew, or escape, lined and insulated.

I wish you luck but know, the phobia will most likely get worse with age.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe anyone would even think of putting their Border Collie down because of thunderphobia. What if it were your human child with the same fears. Beauregard has anxieties and fears but I wouldn't dream of parting with him. I use a thundershirt on Beauregard,give him rescue remedy and play a cd for him called through a dog's ear. He really enjoys the music and settles right down.

http://throughadogsear.com/

Having lived for several years with an extreme thunderphobic I can fully understand putting down such a dog. I am learning from this one but it is a high maintaince type of dog! I have to be home during storms or have someone watch the dog at those times. The dog I have is medicated but will still try to go through windows if all precautions are not taken.

Over time with a HUGH effort she has become better. This has been a 5 year road. It took over 2 years to get her to stay in a crate after the fear started. She would destroy a crate to get out of it even when there was not a storm, whereas prior to the phobia she was fine in a crate.. She now stays in a crate but not during storms as she still panics in one. I've had many sleepless nights staying up with this dog working on her phobia. To take on a truely thunderphobic dog is a major decision and not one many people are capable of dealing with.

BC One: Its awesome you have found a way to help your dog deal with anxiety, and you sound like a wonderful home.

Keep in mind, though, that not every dogs fears can be alleviated even with meds and behavior modification, and some of these fearful dogs damage property and themselves. My thunderphobic dog cost me literally thousands of dollars in damage and vet bills, and this was at a time in my life where I really didn't have much money.

So, I think there's a difference if the dog in question is your own dog who you have an attachment to, or a foster dog. Most people would not choose to adopt a dog with this kind of issue, unless they lived in a place where thunderstorms were rare. So, as a foster home, you need to consider your own resources, and if you can realistically work on fixing the dog and live with the fact that you may now own this dog.

We all have a limitation of resources, be it money, time or energy.

I can't believe anyone would even think of putting their Border Collie down because of thunderphobia.

Have you found bloody paw prints on plate glass windows upon returning home after an unexpected storm?

How many teeth has your vet had to remove after they were broken off at the gum line because your thunderphobic dog was chewing on something to escape the crate, room, house, etc during a storm?

Have you found that the max dose of Elavil PLUS the max dose of valium had no calming effect on your thunderphobic dog?

Has your thunderphobic dog started panicking at the sound of a jet on a clear day?

Has your thunderphobic dog started panicking at the sight of clouds in the sky?

Have you watched your other non-phobic dogs cowering in the corner when they hear an approaching storm?

There is also a difference between your OWN dog and a foster dog. If a foster dog has such severe anxiety or behavioral issues that it is unlikely to ever be adopted, then what is the rescue to do? I'm pretty sick of people giving rescue a hard time for bringing up the E word about dogs that are behavioral nightmares. (Can you tell I've been catching $hit lately??). Not every dog can be saved and not every rescue wants to have a boat load of unadoptable, difficult to live with dogs sucking up time, money, and sanity.

Not every dog can be saved and not every rescue wants to have a boat load of unadoptable, difficult to live with dogs sucking up time, money, and sanity.

Yes, and its part of the reason I no longer work with at least one organized rescue (and its not a Border Collie group). I can keep this one problem dog for two years vainly searching for someone to take on his significant issues, or I can foster and place 4-6 other dogs without such severe issues in the same time frame.

Boy you people sure are defensive. I didn't mean to offend anybody. Beauregard is extremely noise sensitive, any little noise can set him off. I was just trying to offer some suggestions to try and help.

You are honestly surprised that people reacted strongly to your statement of

I can't believe anyone would even think of putting their Border Collie down because of thunderphobia. What if it were your human child with the same fears.

???

Really?

Anyways, welcome to BC Boards.

BC one It may seem defensive, but I think you misunderstood the degree of thunderphobia. Some dogs have a mild fear, but the true thunderphobic is a lot of work to control, contain and deal with. This si not a simply, nor mild fear of loud noises. These dogs will go through windows, tear crates apart and are in a blind panic. When my dog first became phobic (after a strong bolt near her kennel) we tried holding onto her during a storm. Both my husband and I were trying to hold onto her with no effect. She just wanted to run, bolt anywhere and would have crashed into windows if allowed to run.

I have dealt with dogs with mild fear but this is something totally different. I've had friends think I was exaggerating about my dog's phobia, some thought I was overly coddeling her too. But once they have been around her for a while during a storm they realize this is something else. It is an irrational fear and being as that it is a dog, you can't explain to her that it won't hurt her.

I'm glad you haven't had to deal with a true thunderphobic and hope you never have to but once you have walked a mile in the shoes of someone who has it might make you think differently.

Thank you Pam. I have a friend whose dog killed itself trying to escape a crate while in a panic during a storm. I can't even begin to imagine being in her shoes when she walked in and found her dog with its head caught in the crate door, where the pressure from the door apparently cut off the dog's blood supply to the brain. Imagine her horror and guilt. I can't.

J.

Archived