BC Boards

Camping at 2011 National in Carbondale?

I'm contemplating hopping a plane to Denver and renting a car to Carbondale for the last four days the 2011 nationals. Being a public employee (and being paid like one) this would be rather spendy for me. In the interest of saving money, does anyone know if there's tent camping on sight?

(For some reason the Nationals site is blocked on my work computer :rolleyes: )

You can camp at nearby Redstone Campground in the White River National Forest. Call to reserve a spot at 1-877-444-6777. And do stop by the press tent and introduce yourself! :)

ETA: You can camp on site if you volunteer B)

You can camp at nearby Redstone Campground in the White River National Forest. Call to reserve a spot at 1-877-444-6777. And do stop by the press tent and introduce yourself! :)

ETA: You can camp on site if you volunteer B)

Thanks! Redstone looks like what friends would call "cadillac camping". Being an old climbing/kayaking dirtbag, I might feel uncomfortable having to hold my pinkey out when grasping my beer can :P I'll probably just throw my bivy sack down beside the car and cook in the trunk.

Thanks! Redstone looks like what friends would call "cadillac camping". Being an old climbing/kayaking dirtbag, I might feel uncomfortable having to hold my pinkey out when grasping my beer can :P I'll probably just throw my bivy sack down beside the car and cook in the trunk.

Being an old kayaking dirtbag myself, I understand completely. Why not volunteer and you'll be set to camp on site? (Swear I'm not pressuring you--just a suggestion :D)

Volunteer! I did at the 2009 Finals, and had a great time. Plus, you get access to the food/coffee/conversation in the handlers/volunteers tent. Not to mention camping there means access to all the fun "after parties" :) I plan on volunteering in Klamath next year... And maybe running a dog if the trial gods would stop cursing me...

Being an old kayaking dirtbag myself, I understand completely. Why not volunteer and you'll be set to camp on site? (Swear I'm not pressuring you--just a suggestion :D)

Well, I just got airline reservations and filled out my volunteer application. Now I just want to find transport between Denver and Carbondale that doesn't cost more than the airline ticket. :angry:

Well, I just got airline reservations and filled out my volunteer application. Now I just want to find transport between Denver and Carbondale that doesn't cost more than the airline ticket. :angry:

Try the Colorado Mountain Express shuttle bus. Still expensive, but probably cheaper than renting a car.

Laura,

What are the chances that there will be snow during the finals?

This may be important info for tenters.

Mark

There is always a chance of snow in the mountains in September, but it's unlikely . . . Carbondale is not at very high elevation (6200 feet; as a reference, Denver is at 5280), so we should be okay--Carbondale is usually just amazing at that time of year, though I know better than to promise good weather!

There is always a chance of snow in the mountains in September, but it's unlikely . . . Carbondale is not at very high elevation (6200 feet; as a reference, Denver is at 5280), so we should be okay--Carbondale is usually just amazing at that time of year, though I know better than to promise good weather!

Lets Just all keep GOOD WEATHER thoughts ...OK!!!!!

A couple of sites with easy weather data for Carbondale:

Accuweather Sept. Carbondale

A link with precip data

Short story: Weather should be spectacular during the day, cool in the morning and evening and trending toward cold at night. A 20 degree sleeping bag should be perfect with warmth to spare if a cold front moves in.

Now the less good news: Sept is one of the two wettest months. When I say this I mean wet for Colorado...NOT wet for Seattle. Average 1.7 inches of rain total for the month, which means a LOT of sun with drenching afternoon cloudbursts a possibility. Bring a rain suit and wellies.

I would love to go watch the trials. Would one day be better than another to go? I live in colorado so it wouldn't be much of a drive for me.

I think it all depends on the experience you'd prefer to have. The best competition days to see would probably be Saturday and Sunday, which are, respectively, the semi-finals and finals competition days. This will be when the top-scoring dogs are competing, so the work should be at the highest levels. On the other hand, Tuesday through Friday will probably be less crowded, so you'll probably be able to mingle among the handlers a bit more and the atmosphere may be a bit more relaxed. Plus, on Wednesday through Friday, there will be two separate trials running concurrently--the Open and the Nursery (for the younger dogs), so there will be more to see. Heck, maybe you should just come every day! ;)

Thank you so much for bringing up the weather. I would never have guess the potential of that low of temps at night and would have not packed anything suitable I'm sure. :)

How does one find out if more volunteers are needed? That would be a lot of fun!

Go to the 2011 Trials Website (blocked by our net nanny)and fill out a volunteer application from one of the drop down menues.

Volunteer! I did at the 2009 Finals, and had a great time. Plus, you get access to the food/coffee/conversation in the handlers/volunteers tent. Not to mention camping there means access to all the fun "after parties" :) I plan on volunteering in Klamath next year... And maybe running a dog if the trial gods would stop cursing me...

Ben

want to drive down and stay with me? I got a new trailer. Getty would love it if you went and he didn't....he is not interested...beside we can have fun again and run dogs

Diane

Archived