BC Boards

Jack Knox Clinic

feas

I'll be there. Can't wait! If you can't get in with a dog, it's well worth it to go as a spectator.

He's really an eye-opener. If you can go, I would suggest you do. Be there on time the first day because he gives some "opening remarks" and you don't want to miss them. It lays out a great deal of his philosophy.

I have found a number of things that I learned at one clinic of his, have been extremely helpful to me here at home on the farm, in working with my dog on my own stock (even though the clinic was on sheep, we have cattle at home, and the principles help the handler and dog to work well, no matter what the stock).

Well, he's not *always* right. Many years ago, he told Tom Lacy to get rid of that big, ugly tri dog and get a dog he could do something with. That big, ugly dog was Rip. :rolleyes:

I'm teasing about Jack, though. I think you will get a lot from the clinic. Rip and Tom just surprised everyone!

Yes, but Joan, he DID get rid of him! :D:rolleyes:

I'm sure it was those sucky flanks . . .

(proud owner of a Roy g-greatgrandaughter)

My 2 cents: I second what Sue R. said about going early! Jack gives a lot of information and advice right off the bat that sets the stage for the rest of the clinic.

He was just here for a clinic a few weeks ago and Skip and I learned a lot from him, even as beginners, and I wish we could train with him regularly. He helped me understand how I was interfering with my dog's ability to work better: wider and with more confidence. Everyone, open handlers and novices alike, came away a better handler with a better understanding of his or her dog(s). I felt very lucky to have his skill and talent available to Skip and me. Jack is a real treasure.

Auditing is a great thing to do, but again, go early enough to catch that first introduction. Also, he?s very good about answering questions from participants and auditors- that?s part of what you pay for with the auditor?s fee.

Guest grscott
Originally posted by feas:

I have found out that a Jack Knox Clinic is going to be held in my area.

Anyone attend one of these?

Do not miss it!

Regards

It will change your life. Hope you can handle the change. Jack pulls no punches and knows how to handle people as well as he does dogs. He's kind and tough, honest and still learning himself. He knows which dogs are with the right people (like that Joan ought to have Rip instead of Tom)and has a lot of patience with people who are fast learners or slow ones.

Please come, bring a chair and lunch, stay all day and watch, really watch with an open mind. The only thing better than the clinic itself is the fellowship of meeting your soulmates and soon to be lifelong friends (I love you guys...)

My wild dog Jane (goes back to Roy too!)is getting her third expience with him next weekend. So far, so good...she's my sixth with him to date (I think, not counting the rescue dogs who I presented to see what he thought).

Guest grscott
Originally posted by Debbie Crowder-BaaramuLuke:

It will change your life. Hope you can handle the change. Jack pulls no punches and knows how to handle people as well as he does dogs. He's kind and tough, honest and still learning himself. He knows which dogs are with the right people (like that Joan ought to have Rip instead of Tom)and has a lot of patience with people who are fast learners or slow ones.

Please come, bring a chair and lunch, stay all day and watch, really watch with an open mind. The only thing better than the clinic itself is the fellowship of meeting your soulmates and soon to be lifelong friends (I love you guys...)

My wild dog Jane (goes back to Roy too!)is getting her third expience with him next weekend. So far, so good...she's my sixth with him to date (I think, not counting the rescue dogs who I presented to see what he thought).

One more word (well, maybe a few more than one) of advice: Don't make those new friends while Jack is working a dog. When Jack is working a dog, WATCH HIM!!!!!!! Try to see what he is doing, with his position and his voice.

Regards

OH MY GOSH you are so right...we have been busted for doing just that. Bob, the host, has been busted for snoozing ("resting his eyes") after lunch.

Jack makes it look easy, the way he does what he does, but you can learn far far more from watching than even having a dog in the clinic.

Good advice, GR...

I think what Debbie and GR just said can't be said often enough.. You will learn more at a clinic by quietly sitting and watching a good clinician working other people's dogs than you will working your own dog at the clnic.

And, every time you go back, you will learn more bacause you will "get" more of what the clinician is trying to do.

So much of dog handling seems to be dependent on timing and position. It's a tough thing to explain. You need to see it.

The same is true at trials. You get to see many good handlers run dogs. You just don't get the commentary on what they were trying to do.

I had a good impromptu lesson from an experienced handler when first got my dog. She made me put my hands in my pockets and shut my mouth (a threat of duct tape was made) and then dragged me around a pasture to show that you could let the dog be right, and help the dog to be right without talking at it or waving your arms around. It was a good lesson that gets reinforced every time I go to a clinic. Less talking more watching.

Guest grscott
Originally posted by Pearse:

I think what Debbie and GR just said can't be said often enough.. You will learn more at a clinic by quietly sitting and watching a good clinician working other people's dogs than you will working your own dog at the clnic.

And, every time you go back, you will learn more bacause you will "get" more of what the clinician is trying to do.

So much of dog handling seems to be dependent on timing and position. It's a tough thing to explain. You need to see it.

The same is true at trials. You get to see many good handlers run dogs. You just don't get the commentary on what they were trying to do.

I had a good impromptu lesson from an experienced handler when first got my dog. She made me put my hands in my pockets and shut my mouth (a threat of duct tape was made) and then dragged me around a pasture to show that you could let the dog be right, and help the dog to be right without talking at it or waving your arms around. It was a good lesson that gets reinforced every time I go to a clinic. Less talking more watching.

Bingo!

Regards