BC Boards

My Amazing Service Dog

For the last several weeks, I've noticed that Buddy will start barking when I get in the shower. It's the "danger!" bark, not a pesky bark. I had kind of assumed he was getting weird and demanding as he ages.

Just now, he stared at my cellar door and began barking again, the "alert" bark. So I told him, "Let's go! What is it!?" He led me down the cellar steps, sniffing here and there, and I quickly saw water on my basement floor. Turns out the water heater has sprung a couple pinhole-sized leaks at the top, and little spritzing jets of water were squirting up, making a hissing and dripping sound. My silly, weak humans ears must have been missing the beginnings of this phenomenon for the last few weeks, but Buddy's ears did not.

GOOD DOG!

Mary

Very GOOD DOG, Buddy! I try to at least check out persistent barking. With Shoshone, (our version of Laura's Craig, with a little extra quirkiness) she'll bark because she wants me to go out with her in the dark, not DH.

We've had several major plumbing failures in our 40 yr old mobile home, and none of the critters has ever alerted us. Maybe Buddy wants to live in Northern California?

Ruth

Wow--what a good boy! Wonder if I should now start paying more attention to old, deaf Craig's persistent barking in the middle of the night on the off chance he is actually trying to warn me about something real...

You never know....I was recovering from a surgical procedure years ago and having a restless night in the comfy living room chair. Our cat at the time was persistently bugging me in catlike fashion -- the last indignity in a long night. I kept swatting her away. When my husband awoke in the morning, he looked out the window and started grumping, "Who left the garden hose on! The water is running down the driveway!" We all ignored him, until he went downstairs and stepped into about 4 inches of water in the TV room...and water had flooded downstairs to the point where it was running out the mudroom door. Kitty was trying to say HELP IT'S A FLOOD!!! BUILD AN ARK!!!! My first thought was that the swimming pool foundation had sprung a leak and was emptying into the basement...but it turned out the toilet tank in the downstairs bathroom had apparently cracked and the well was pumping an endless supply of water.... The dogs, my terrier mix and a BC cross, at the time, slumbered peacefully unawares...What a mess...weeks to clean up. Thank goodness insurance paid for everything --except a new toilet.

Liz

Archived