BC Boards

Boder Collie in Talladega

I found a BC on Craigslist from an individual who has 2 left from a litter the others went to relatives she says. What do I need to ask before adopting one. She wants a $50 adoption fee to cover cover shots, deworming, etc.

Do I just need to ask if he is registered ABCA ,NASDS or AIBC and if none of these I should avoid getting this dog?

Here is a link to the ad. http://bham.craigslist.org/grd/1839596660.html

Thanks in advance.

100_3255.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dogbone,

Have you read the "Read this First" post that's pinned at the top of this section? It would give you a good idea of the philosophy of this board with respect to breeders and breeding. This is a backyard breeder who shouldn't be producing puppies in the first place most likely. If you must have a dog right his minute, then I don't suppose anything said will make a difference, but if you really want to help keep the breed what it is, I'd pass on these pups and do some research on good breeders and then find one and get a pup. Just my opinion.

J.

Cute puppy. It just depends on what you're looking for in a dog. If you're just looking for a companion and pet, who cares about papers? If you wanted a dog that you knew was from good stock, then you might want to see papers, but anyone selling left over puppies for 50 bucks on Craigslist? I can pretty much promise they're not from good working stock. But, like I said, if you just want a family pet or good buddy, papers shouldn't be a big deal. Unfortunately, buying a puppy from this person just means you're supporting irresponsible breeding, though.

Just know that getting a puppy from someone like this, there are no guarantees. Hopefully the puppy will be healthy, but it's one of those things you're risking.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dogbone,

Have you read the "Read this First" post that's pinned at the top of this section? It would give you a good idea of the philosophy of this board with respect to breeders and breeding. This is a backyard breeder who shouldn't be producing puppies in the first place most likely. If you must have a dog right his minute, then I don't suppose anything said will make a difference, but if you really want to help keep the breed what it is, I'd pass on these pups and do some research on good breeders and then find one and get a pup. Just my opinion.

J.

Who are the good breeders close to alabama and how much would it cost me for one of these dogs? I am just looking for a pet.

Who are the good breeders close to alabama and how much would it cost me for one of these dogs? I am just looking for a pet.

Why not adopt a border collie from a shelter, then? That way you're not supporting people who breed border collies for the wrong reasons, and you're saving a life. There are always border collies needing homes in Alabama and the Southeast US. Check out www.Petfinder.com and www.bcrescue.org.

Why not adopt a border collie from a shelter, then? That way you're not supporting people who breed border collies for the wrong reasons, and you're saving a life. There are always border collies needing homes in Alabama and the Southeast US. Check out www.Petfinder.com and www.bcrescue.org.

Yes I have looked at shelters here but I don't see anything but mixes mostly. I don't have $600 to spend on one either.

If you are just looking for a pet and you see something that's called a mix in a shelter but looks like a border collie to you, then what difference does it make? People often come on here and post pictures of "mixes" they've adopted and more often than not, you can't actually tell it's a mix. Chances are that unless a shelter has proof otherwise, they're going to call everything a mix.

Otherwise, if you simply must have this pup, get it and don't worry about papers. I would assume you'd do the responsible thing and neuter it at an appropriate age, so papers wouldn't be worth anything anyway (papers are about keeping pedigrees--if the dog isn't going to be bred, then the papers have no real value).

If you're looking for validation for getting this particular pup, you're not likely to find it here. This is not a reputable breeder by any stretch of the imagination. But as I said, if your mind's made up, then there's no need to give all the reasons why you can't possibly go some other route, because those other routes are what folks here are most likely to suggest.

J.

If you are just looking for a pet and you see something that's called a mix in a shelter but looks like a border collie to you, then what difference does it make? People often come on here and post pictures of "mixes" they've adopted and more often than not, you can't actually tell it's a mix. Chances are that unless a shelter has proof otherwise, they're going to call everything a mix.

Yes, exactly.

Here are four I found with just a little effort and a few minutes online. Not sure of driving distances, but they're all in Alabama. (I drove 8 hours out of state for my last rescue and he is worth every second and more).

Cute, and look like they could be all BC:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16867994

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16888149

Gorgeous, and no doubt all BC:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15014327

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16869799

No, you should avoid getting one of them. You'd be hard pressed to find a responsible breeder in AL, ask Lenajo, your chances of finding a BYB, PM or worse there is 1000 times higher. Just because he's cheap now doesn't mean he will be as he grows up. And, not directed at "you" but this crap that people are saying about adoption fee is bogus, you are in fact buying the dog, as is anyone who buys from a breeder. These people just don't want to feed the pups anymore from the sounds of it.

Not to start a big argument folks, but what happens to this pup if no one responsible takes it? Does it get adopted by some irresponsible person? Starved, abused, neglected, run over by a car, picked up by Animal Control to be put down or finally put into rescue and then listed on Petfinder where finally everyone saws awe, lets give this poor dog a chance? I'm all for not supporting backyard breeders, but how do you get this pup (and its brother) where it can be taken care of in a responsible way? IF someone wants to take the pup now and risk health problems (or perhaps avoid them by taking care of it better from puppyhood) and perhaps file a report on the breeder....all the better... as far as I'm concerned this is a rescue....even though, yes you are supporting a BYB...just report them on the way out the door.

Sorry...it was that pups eyes that did it...if I lived in the area, I'd go scoop the critter and its brother up myself and pay the $100!

Ducking under desk, preparing for incoming.....

Liz

Liz, I know it's tempting, but it's the same reason we don't support taking that sad faced puppy out of the pet store. It just opens up a spot for another. You pay this "breeder" the money he's asking for his dogs, and then why wouldn't he breed his dogs again, if he sold all of the last batch? What I *would* do is ask the owner if he's willing to relinquish them to rescue, have them spayed/neutered and no longer contributing to the animal overpopulation. But I would bet my next paycheck that he's not interested in having them go to rescue and be placed in good homes. He's interested in his 50 bucks.

Sorry...it was that pups eyes that did it...if I lived in the area, I'd go scoop the critter and its brother up myself and pay the $100!

I see education really is pointless. You can go support all the puppymillers and BYB's you want. This is not a rescue not even close and the fact that you said it is is a slap to those that do rescue. This thought process is why BYB's and PM's are in business.

Yes I have looked at shelters here but I don't see anything but mixes mostly. I don't have $600 to spend on one either.

I'm going to second the advice made by many - don't buy from this individual. It's encouraging irresponsible breeding. They'll think, well, that wasn't so bad, we sold them all, made a bit of money, why don't we breed her again next time she comes into heat?

Ask them whether they had both parents' hips X-rayed before they bred them. If you don't have $600 to spend on a puppy - do you have the money to spend on hip surgery?

At least if you get a Border collie from a reputable rescue, you know it'll be healthy (or, if not, you'll know what you're facing). Vet bills really add up fast with any puppy (even routine vaccinations and heartworm preventative will run a bundle), and if it has any health issues at all, you'll find yourself shelling out thousands of dollars before you can blink an eye. That well-bred, healthy puppy that you spent $500 on, or that rescue you adopted for a modest fee, will start to look like a real bargain compared to the $50 BYB puppy.

Liz, I know it's tempting, but it's the same reason we don't support taking that sad faced puppy out of the pet store. It just opens up a spot for another. You pay this "breeder" the money he's asking for his dogs, and then why wouldn't he breed his dogs again, if he sold all of the last batch? What I *would* do is ask the owner if he's willing to relinquish them to rescue, have them spayed/neutered and no longer contributing to the animal overpopulation. But I would bet my next paycheck that he's not interested in having them go to rescue and be placed in good homes. He's interested in his 50 bucks.

I know...I know....It's just that he just looks like my Brodie who at this moment is looking at me with the same playful expression.......I agree with everything you say..but he's still going to breed the dogs again...taking these two pups isn't going to stop that....isn't there a way to take the dog AND shut him down at the same time (I live in an optimistic world).... ETA and I'd consider it a "rescue" in the sense that the person who bred it is now going to neglect and abuse it because he can't sell it even for $50.....I know it's not in the traditional sense that it is used on these boards....I do know the difference.

Liz

Not to start a big argument folks, but what happens to this pup if no one responsible takes it? Does it get adopted by some irresponsible person?

How do we know that any of the puppies in this litter were acquired by responsible individuals? I suspect anyone who offers puppies for "adoption" on Craigslist doesn't exactly screen their prospective buyers adoptive families very closely.

The best thing that could happen to this particular puppy would probably be for it to end up in the hands of a reputable rescue organization, with a foster parent who will ensure it receives appropriate socialization, and a chance that screening of prospective owners will ensure a good match between the pup's individual characteristics and the new owner's lifestyle.

(PS: to the OP: you won't find a Border collie that is registered with the NASDS or AIBC any longer... these registries no longer exist. In the United States, most Border collies, if they're registered, will be registered with ABCA, AKC, or both, though you might find one that's registered with a less well-known registry. Personally, if I wanted a registered dog, I'd run as fast as I could away from a dog that was registered with anything other than ABCA).

I see education really is pointless. You can go support all the puppymillers and BYB's you want. This is not a rescue not even close and the fact that you said it is is a slap to those that do rescue. This thought process is why BYB's and PM's are in business.

I'm not advocating supporting the backyard breeder....but how would you save this pup and its brother from a miserable life it will likely have if it isn't "adopted" off Craigslist? That's all I"m asking.... if the BYB took it to the pound, you'd go to the SPCA and get it, right? But if he doesn't take that step, the dog is lost.

I agree with putting backyard breeders out of business and I fully support rescue...every dog I've owned since my childhood has either been a mutt from the pound or a BC from rescue until we acquired these pups last year.

and perhaps file a report on the breeder....just report them on the way out the door.

File what kind of report and report them to who? Unfortunately, it is not illegal to be a byb.

And I'm with others. This is in no way similar to rescue. That's like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not advocating supporting the backyard breeder....but how would you save this pup and its brother from a miserable life it will likely have if it isn't "adopted" off Craigslist?

You offer to take the pup off her hands for free. If she really just wants to get rid of the pup (doesn't want to feed it anymore), then she'll relinquish it. She makes no money off the deal, though, and will maybe think twice about breeding another litter that looses money rather than makes money.

ETA: Sorry, I meant to say "loses money" not "looses money." :rolleyes:

You offer to take the pup off her hands for free. If she really just wants to get rid of the pup (doesn't want to feed it anymore), then she'll relinquish it. She makes no money off the deal, though, and will maybe think twice about breeding another litter that looses money rather than makes money.

There you go! Sensible solution!

Archived