BC Boards

Poop bags?

A bit "new owner" generic but...

Recently my Mom-in-Law gave us a roll of the blue pet poop bags and…well, I became a fan. We used to use the bags we got from the market but those are getting thinner every second and the quantity tends to ebb and flow in our house. The little blue roll was convenient, low volume in my fanny pack (more room for toys and treats) and the bags seemed to be much less permeable to poopstench. The last is important as Cerbie seems to “offload” about 400 yards into out daily 3+ mile walk….just far enough away that I don’t want to walk back.

I just priced the bags on Amazon and I am now becoming MUCH less of a fan! Is there a low priced, bulk supplier out there that someone can recommend?

I just use fold over sandwich bags for around the yard and at places with easy access to disposal. On walks, I put the baggy or baggies into a larger plastic store bag. The baggies fold and wad into the tightest of pockets and spaces. They're cheap and easy to get as well. I think I use the Spartan brand.

I get them at the dollar store or walmart. they aren't that expensive. I've even seen them in some dollar bins.

I noticed my daughter stashing her poop bag (done early in the walk) then on the return trip she grabs it. Much less hauling of poo! And she makes the dog carry his own bag. she ties the unused bag to his leash (she uses plain old plastic grocery bags) I notice she uses green bags at the store but plastic poop bags. Guess there's no easy way of going green with poo bags.

With the blue bags there's a little contraption that attaches to the end of the leash but I don't usually carry that, just a couple bags in my pocket will do.

I get them at the dollar store or walmart. they aren't that expensive. I've even seen them in some dollar bins.

I noticed my daughter stashing her poop bag (done early in the walk) then on the return trip she grabs it. Much less hauling of poo! And she makes the dog carry his own bag. she ties the unused bag to his leash (she uses plain old plastic grocery bags) I notice she uses green bags at the store but plastic poop bags. Guess there's no easy way of going green with poo bags.

With the blue bags there's a little contraption that attaches to the end of the leash but I don't usually carry that, just a couple bags in my pocket will do.

I live in AZ and usually spend 8 months out of the year in running shorts...no pockets.

My issue with the grocery bags is that they are getting thinner every day. I throw away (recycle) about 50% because they don't meet muster. I sometimes stash poo, too....I just don't want any of my neighbors thinking that I'm leaving the bag for others to pick up, like some owners here do.

My way of dealing with poop bags is to go to our small local grocery store and get the manager to order a roll of produce bags for me. It's really cheap - about ten bucks, and there's hundreds of them. I have one roll that I've had for nearly two years, as they are my back-up bags for when the bags that come with food, etc. in them are used up. I try to use them for some kitchen storage task first and then when they are emptied I relegate them to the poop bag stash.

I try to use every plastic bag I get 3 times. It's initial packaging use counts as one. For cereal-liner bags, bread bags, etc., I pick up Sugar's morning output, twist the top and then go to the cat box and scoop. That's three for that bag.

Also, for the thin produce bags, if you stick your hand all the way down inside the bag like putting on a glove and then pick up the poop, pull the bag inside out, then twist it closed close to the poop and turn it inside out again. That way the poop is "double bagged" and there's usually enough end left to tie it off.

The reason produce bags are getting thinner is that less plastic means less pollution. (They are also cheaper.) Purpose-made poop-bags are convenient and I like them, but they break down very slowly in landfill because they are so thick. Plus, they only get used once, which seems a waste to me.

I am totally spoiled! Our neighborhood has walking tails that have poop stations along the way. Biodegradable bags and trash cans every few yards. The sad part is that there are so many people that still don't pick up after their dog! I've even seen poop right by the bag station. :rolleyes: How hard is it to pick up after your dog, esp. when the bags are provided??

I don't know there are any "Big Lots" stores in your area, but I buy

them there. They are $3.00 for four rolls, 45 or 60 ct., I don't

remember right off hand.

During Christmas time, there was a store, I believe it was called

"Christmas Tree Shoppes" or something like that, they were 8 rolls

for that price, I should have loaded up on them and put 'em on ebay.

Mike

Our newspapers come inside plastic bags when it rains. This year, that's meant about 8 plastic bags a week for the last 6 months. We have a friend who saves his for us. They tend to be double walled on one side at least.

Biodegradable, once you get about a couple feet down in any landfill, doesn't work. The lack of oxygen keeps the bacteria from eating things up. The University of AZ, I think, did a study at a large landfill in the 70's, (again, I think, I read the thing many years ago) and drilled core samples way down, like 20 and 30 ft. They found printed material that was decades old and still readable, fruit and meat that hadn't rotted away, and dates on what they pulled out that went back to the 50s.

I'll have to find that book again, it was a very interesting read.

Ruth

I bought a package of 120 bags (six rolls, I think) from Walmart and I can't wait until they are gone -- cheap, nasty things. And a bit on the small side for my big boy's poo. Yuck.

Heaven help me to think of a proper brand name, but the better bags tend to come from the pet supply stores. I like them a bit thicker, longer, and hey -- maybe even scented! Also, bonus if they have an *easy to see* perferation line. With my cheap ones from Walmart, I am forever hunting to find the end of the bag. My little dog is a walking pooper and half the time if I have to take my eyes off him to find the tear in the bags, I end up losing the start of the poop trail! Especially problematic in the dark....

Our newspapers come inside plastic bags when it rains. This year, that's meant about 8 plastic bags a week for the last 6 months. We have a friend who saves his for us. They tend to be double walled on one side at least.

Biodegradable, once you get about a couple feet down in any landfill, doesn't work. The lack of oxygen keeps the bacteria from eating things up. The University of AZ, I think, did a study at a large landfill in the 70's, (again, I think, I read the thing many years ago) and drilled core samples way down, like 20 and 30 ft. They found printed material that was decades old and still readable, fruit and meat that hadn't rotted away, and dates on what they pulled out that went back to the 50s.

I'll have to find that book again, it was a very interesting read.

Ruth

Let me know when you find it. I'd like to know the title/author so I can read it.

Let me know when you find it. I'd like to know the title/author so I can read it.

http://traumwerk.stanford.edu:3455/Symmetry/174

Here is something similar, and possibly what I was thinking of. My brain is not retentive at all around dates in the past. I found this and a lot of other stuff by googling garbage dump archaeology.

Have fun.

Ruth

Good thing about living in an apartment complex - there are always green poopy bags available :D Plus in the neighbourhood there are two other types available for people walking their dogs - some sturdier black ones, and some fancy ones with a handle and a cardboard panel to collect and seal - I can never work those last ones :rolleyes:

Guest echoica
I am totally spoiled! Our neighborhood has walking tails that have poop stations along the way. Biodegradable bags and trash cans every few yards. The sad part is that there are so many people that still don't pick up after their dog! I've even seen poop right by the bag station. :rolleyes: How hard is it to pick up after your dog, esp. when the bags are provided??

Me too. Every time I am in the park I grab a stash of bags from the dispenser! :D People are pretty good about picking up at the park here...so I don't have too many complaints. But I wonder the same thing every time I see a poo lying around too!

Archived