BC Boards

Flyball and Agility Questions.

I am so excited we get to go to our first flyball pratice tomorrow. Never attended one before or had I ever heard of flyball before owing Jack. While milling around here before I registerd did I learn of the sport and thought this would be a good way for him to expend his energy. We are going to start agility but he has to attend their obedience class first, we start obedience class in April for 6 weeks then in to agility. I was just wondering since I am new to this are there any tips, advice, etc.. that I should know as a novice to flyball and agility.

I was just wondering since I am new to this are there any tips, advice, etc.. that I should know as a novice to flyball and agility.

I can't speak for flyball, but for Agility my advice is - take your time and keep it fun! :rolleyes:

One thing to be aware of, IME, is that flyball and agility have very opposite jumping styles. Flyball is very long flat jump, while agility needs more of an "up and over" style jump. I work jump grids more frequently because of this, to keep rig in form.

Also very different energy levels. FB can be a bit, um, crazy, while agility is more focused and team oriented. These may or may not be a concern, depending on the level you play at.

We had so much fun, Jack did very good for his first time. This is going to be good for him he made so many friends in pack play. He was so tired when we left his was almost a sleep before we left the drive way. I am so proud of him he is such a good boy. We are going to try to get him to play with a tug, he loves his toys but they do not have the recall (if that is what you would call it) we need like the ball does. Matt wrestles around with him and the ball so we are going to have him start with the tug as much as those two play he should love it in no time. I do admit I was so nervous at first but the people there were so nice and helpful, I can't wait for next Saturday for the next pratice.

It's weird with the tuggie thing. Rig LOVES his tuggie, but when he's playing flyball, he has no interest at all! Luckily he loves to run to me, so I don't need to carry anything on deck :rolleyes: The good thing about tuggies tho, is that at the end of the lane, if the dog is attached to a tuggie, then you have some control over them.

We are trying to make this a family thing with us and Jack, in pratice Jeremy was at the end waiting on him he has a connection to him but not like to me or Nicci I am trying to get Jeremy to spend some constructive time with Jack and build a stronger bond with him. Jeremy works long and crazy hours in a week not set hours like mine so of course we take care of Jack a little more than him. Just after one pratice I can see that Jack is more perceptive to him, listens a little better to him on his commands. Before Jeremy had a hard time with come, now all he has to say is come and Jack is right there. I am going to let Jeremy take the lead on flyball and let them buld this bond that a man and his dog need, not the mothering bond that I or Nicci have with him. Flyball is all that Jeremy has talked about since saturday, how good he done and how proud he is and how he can't wait for next saturday. Glad to hear him talk about something other than work for once, shoot I am not an electrician but from listening to him talk I could wire a house by myself. He has even called some of his friends and his mother and wanted them to bring their dogs next weekend for flyball. I was really impressed with the trainer, we are starting agility with her on Feb 1st and she is not requireing us to do obedience class first. She said just from watching him in flyball class that he would be excellent in agility and that he has his basics down enough for agility, but Nicci or I would probably have to do the agililty untill Jeremys recall with Jack gets a little bit stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you are enjoying flyball! Flyball has been a great outlet for our dogs. It's helped with bonding for our own BC mix, Jack. Our Jack will not tug at flyball either but in the yard he loves it. I help train dogs for flyball and it's so rewarding to see the difference week after week. Keep us posted on your progress :rolleyes: