BC Boards

Storms coming throught tonight

Rescue remedy and a tight t-shirt. (For the dog... :D )

:D Thanks for the smile. I have a huge headache right now which is slowly increasing with the antics of my pack. Jedi and Cadi keep watching Joey and come back to report on him. Like...hey mom Joey is acting really strange, you must get up to check him out. Joey is generally very independent and non-clingy, so the fact that tonight he's a velcro dog right now is not setting well with the pack. :rolleyes:

I've been using one of those dog pheromone diffuser things but I don't think it's helping in this situation. I also have given him a dog supplement called Calm. I will definitely try to pick up the Rescue Remedy next time I'm out. Right now I'm just letting him lay where he wants. He seems to like Jedi's crate, and for now I'm allowing it because Jedi doesn't use it much. All the fosters seem to like Jedi's crate better than their own. The only reason I can fathom is, it's smaller. It just started raining harder and he crawled under my feet which he never does. So should I just act like nothing much is going on, and not give him any special attention other than ordinary? The last time he was freaked out by noise (New Year's fireworks) I allowed him on the couch with me, even though our dogs are not generally allowed on the furniture. This relaxing of the rules though causes Jedi and Cadi to wonder WTH is up.

Thanks.

Well it's turning out not to be much of a thunderstorm thank goodness. I'll keep the benadryl in mind though for next time. Blinds are shut. I put a comforter that I keep on the couch, on the floor for Joey and that seemed to help. He's a really good boy considering he was kept on a chain outside. Love my little Joey boy. I wish I would quit getting so attached to all the fosters. It makes it sooo hard when they leave. :rolleyes:

We've been working on noise phobias by building positive associations. When there is a loud noise (thunder, fireworks, the teeter slamming on the floor) I give tons of treats and throw a little party. I look like a fool but it is working. Daisy is gettting a lot better about noises. Instead of cowering and barking she looks to see what kind of foolish dance I will do.

For Daisy I had to use both a DAP diffuser and Rescue Remedy, neither were effective on their own. Also there is a Bach Flower Remedy specifically for Noise Phobia (http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm) and some holistic vets are able to mix special Bach Flower remedies specific for each dog.

Patricia McConnell also had a couple good blog posts about thunder phobia http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/categ...phobia-in-dogs/

Storms are rare here, we haven't had one on over a year and there is a series of storms coming this week. We shall see how Jin fares.

We've been working on noise phobias by building positive associations. Patricia McConnell also had a couple good blog posts about thunder phobia http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/categ...phobia-in-dogs/

When I first got Jedi, I made sure we played his favorite games during storms and with Cadi (the treat hound), lots of treats. Joey doesn't play much with toys and won't take treats during a storm. I put on my (puts the dogs to sleep) CD and that seemed to help. Great article by Dr. McConnell. I love everything she writes.

I think the less comforting you do, the better. Just try to behave normally.

When Scooter was about 3 months old, DH had him outside playing. Bright, sunny day--no hint of a storm in the area. Then, just out of nowhere, no warning, the loudest clap of thunder I've ever heard--shook the house. Neighbors came out to see what was going on. Scooter ran for the door, but DH had him wait outside for a minute. After that, nothing much bothered him! If he did begin to look anxious, we'd just play ball with him and he ignored what was going on outside--not even a storm could stop him from playing ball. :rolleyes:

I did notice that he would definitely focus in on me during a storm, taking his cues from me, to see if he should be scared. I'd wrinkle my nose, shake my head and say, "S'okay. No big deal," and he'd visibly relax.

Now he sleeps through some storms that wake me up. :D

My dog Vala is thunderphobic, as well as fearful of any other low loud noise, including low-barely audible crashes in the pipeyard about half a mile off, and car backfires. I guess in reality she is sound reactive, but her reaction is totally mild, if the noise occurs in a single incident she will simply run into the bathroom and then come right back out when it stops. If it is persistent, she will run to den somewhere safe and shake slightly until she falls asleep or calms down or it stops.

For the New Years fireworks, which took place four days after her first heartworm shot, we gave her a Quiet Moments (an all-natural remedy which has Chamomile Flower (150mg), Passion Flower (100mg), Thiamine Mononitrate (100mg), Ginger (50mg), L-Tryptophan (30mg) per 3 Gm tablet--the L-tryptophan, supposedly encourages serotonin production and sleep). Then we set her up in her kennel in our bedroom with the door shut and a white noise alarm clock on and fan blowing so she couldn't hear a thing.

Like I said usually she's not terrible - she doesn't hurt herself or anything - but because of the vet's orders after the heartworm shot we didn't want her heart rate to get up. But New Years Eve she slept through the whole thing.

The dog always gets to decide what is *comforting*... if what you do makes a dog feel better, do it.

If my dog feels safer and more relaxed snuggling up to me in a bad storm, I certainly would not turn him away.

Oh no! I didn't mean to sound so heartless. :rolleyes: If Scooter came to me for comfort, God knows, I wouldn't turn him away. I just meant it's best to try not to make a big deal out of it if they're a little unsure, since they read our moods so well and react accordingly. And, granted, I don't have a noise phobic dog so this might not work for a dog who's really distressed. I used to dog sit for a Golden Retriever who would hide in the bathtub if it looked cloudy. Very sad. Medication helped her a little, but she was never completely comfortable with rainy, much less, stormy weather.

I think the less comforting you do, the better. Just try to behave normally.

When Scooter was about 3 months old, DH had him outside playing. Bright, sunny day--no hint of a storm in the area. Then, just out of nowhere, no warning, the loudest clap of thunder I've ever heard--shook the house. Neighbors came out to see what was going on. Scooter ran for the door, but DH had him wait outside for a minute. After that, nothing much bothered him! If he did begin to look anxious, we'd just play ball with him and he ignored what was going on outside--not even a storm could stop him from playing ball. :rolleyes:

I did notice that he would definitely focus in on me during a storm, taking his cues from me, to see if he should be scared. I'd wrinkle my nose, shake my head and say, "S'okay. No big deal," and he'd visibly relax.

Now he sleeps through some storms that wake me up. :D

We do the same with Shiloh. The first time he was nervous.... but we acted extra relaxed, ignored it and played a bit. If he looked worried we would smile, laugh and give him a tickle. Now he is much more relaxed during storms and excited for the extra pats!

Tight tee shirt? What's that for?

It just works for some dogs. Counter condition by doing something the dog likes up to and during the storm whenever you can. These things CAN get worse. I currently have a dog with major T'phobia and have tried a variety of things. Had to go with Rx drugs for her but keep up the counter conditioning. I found a calming cap that works very good for her and plan to buy a storm cape and give it a try. i actually bought a small kid's t shirt but that din't do much :rolleyes: The trigger can be one thing, or many , that's some of the problem with fixing a storm sensitivity. ZI've actually used dryer sheets to take out some of the static! Good luck and work with it!

Oh no! I didn't mean to sound so heartless. :rolleyes: If Scooter came to me for comfort, God knows, I wouldn't turn him away. I just meant it's best to try not to make a big deal out of it if they're a little unsure, since they read our moods so well and react accordingly. And, granted, I don't have a noise phobic dog so this might not work for a dog who's really distressed. I used to dog sit for a Golden Retriever who would hide in the bathtub if it looked cloudy. Very sad. Medication helped her a little, but she was never completely comfortable with rainy, much less, stormy weather.

No hon you didn't. :-)

It's just that some folks end up ignoring/avoiding, even to the point of 'pushing away' a scared dog ...all because they've been told "don't comfort".

My girl heads to the tub and (depending on severity) she also has meds. I have both Melatonin and Xanax.

She's improved with the pharma help... but not to the point where I can do major behaviour modification in a severe T-storm...but we can play in the rain now.

Thankfully it is just storms not noises like gunshots or fireworks...Noise phobias can be really tough.

My border collie mix is deathly afraid of loud noises fireworks, thunder, loud crashes. He won't even go out to potty at the sight of a few rain drops. I remember 6 years ago when we moved into our house he squeezed through a very small hole under our fence that at the time our 4 month old puppy couldn't fit through. It was from fireworks and thank goodness the neighbor saw him and came to get me. He has been this way since he was a small puppy.

Nothing I've done has helped him. I've tried meds and it doesn't seem to do him any good. I've tried comforting him when he gets close and he still will shake. I usually just take him to the basement and let him shove himself into an enclosed area. So he feels secure. That seems to be the only thing that calms him enough to get through it. Forth of July seems to last all summer where we live so some weekends are pretty tough for him. :rolleyes: