BC Boards

Protection Against the Sun

Guest echoica

I use anything that's labeled as safe for kids. And I only buy stuff that's not tested on animals. Alba Botanica has a kid's sunscreen that's SPF 30 or thereabouts that works well on Solo's ivory-skinned nose.

Guest echoica
I use anything that's labeled as safe for kids. And I only buy stuff that's not tested on animals. Alba Botanica has a kid's sunscreen that's SPF 30 or thereabouts that works well on Solo's ivory-skinned nose.

Thanks Melanie! :rolleyes:

I don't always remember to use it, but I have kid's sunscreen for Alex, too. The kind that comes in a tube (like lipstick) and you just slick it on. SPF 30, I believe.

Wow, this is great info. I was just noticing that the top of Cerbie's muzzle has a lot of pink showing through the fur. What about the lip balm type stuff? It would be easy to carry.

Shea butter is also a natural sunscreen. If you can find 100% shea butter, it works great.

Unless your dog is like mine & thinks shea butter is delicious! I use it on my hands, and Nick just wants to lick it off. I know if I put it on his nose, he'd stand there licking and licking and licking. Which would make for some great photos :rolleyes:

I'm just curious how many people really think it is something to worry about. I just always assumed that as long as a dog wasn't lying out in the sun all day on their back then it wasn't really something to seriously consider. My border pup is pure white so has a pink nose, eyes, everything... is it something i should think about? It shaded outside where they are and occassionally her pink parts are a little darker than usual, could she get sunburnt as quickly as we do?

Guest echoica

i have heard stories so i would rather not take the chance - but it depends on the individual dog's pigmentation too. my dogs spend a lot of time outdoors, so when summer rolls around i am sure my little one with the fair skin and pink above her nose will no doubt have some sensitivity.

I have never heard of this! Do dogs need sunscreen in the summer or in the sun?

Some are sensitive to the sun like us humans. Dogs can get sunburned. They need to be protected just like us.

Not to say your black dog is going to get sunburn , but if he has a light colored nose , and you notice blistering , he needs protection. There is probably other signs to look for too , but that is one of them.

Light colored dogs and dogs with no under coat like Maltese can be very susceptable to sunburn. My friends Jack wears sunscreen , she has it hooked on the leash like some people carry their poop bags..

I always put sunscreen on the pink top of my Border Collies muzzles. I use either a white zinc or the same waterproof sunscreen that I use on myself. Where I live it is full on sun all year round and I have seen some terrible sun cancers on some old dogs muzzles. My ACDS have dark skin so no worries there but me and the collies are of fair scottish origin, so we all cream up before venturing outdoors!

I always put sunscreen on the pink top of my Border Collies muzzles. I use either a white zinc or the same waterproof sunscreen that I use on myself. Where I live it is full on sun all year round and I have seen some terrible sun cancers on some old dogs muzzles. My ACDS have dark skin so no worries there but me and the collies are of fair scottish origin, so we all cream up before venturing outdoors!

Yes i have seen some nasty incidents of skin cancer on Bull Terriers, i will have to keep an eye out.

My oldest is lucky like the cattles to have dark pigmentation all over. But my girls never sit out in the full sun but the breeder i got my solid white girl has mentioned sun protection before as they kept one pup who is a blue merle but her entire front end is white very similar to my girl. I would hope to do something before it ever turned into blisters, i will just be extra cautious because she has so many soft pink parts vunerable to the sun. Thanks everyone!

Good topic!

Seek has pink on her muzzle (above the nose). Should I be putting sunblock on this? I know animals with light colored noses can get melanoma cancer.