BC Boards

For real or for show?

Riven has started a thing lately that is driving my husband and I bonkers. Everything makes her shake. Like, if we tell her to lay down she starts shaking, as if she thinks we're gonna beat the crap outta her. I dont know if she's just overly nervous or excited or what. We've NEVER ever beaten her. I did swat her once when I caught her crapping in the hall (and I know I shouldnt have, I was really angry and beat myself up about it later) But we've dont nothing even close to deserving the degree of shaking she's doing.

If I vacuum she shakes, if she's told to lay down, or "no" or just looked at she shakes. Imagine a dog who's freezing and is shaking, its the same kind of shake. I dont know whats going on. Did something scare her tremendously that we're unaware of, or does she know that it worries us and we kinda lay off her?

If Im working with her and tell her to sit she lays, so I was holding the leash up a couple days ago so she couldnt lay down (not choking her or anything) and she started shaking. I dont know what to do or whats goin on. But she acts TERRIFIED.

Did something scare her tremendously that we're unaware of, or does she know that it worries us and we kinda lay off her?
Please don't take the risk of assuming that she's doing it for show. I made that mistake with Speedy this past winter and I'm still undoing the damage that I did to his confidence!

It is very possible that something spooked her that you are unaware of. It is also possible that there is something physical going on with her that is causing that response.

I would probably have her checked by a vet first to make sure she isn't ill or in pain.

Otherwise, I would take any fear response very seriously. Trying to override an involuntary fear response (like that kind of shaking) won't fix the problem.

I've done some study on shy/fearful dogs as part of my quest to help Speedy and I've learned that they actually don't fake involuntary fear responses. So if this is a fear response, it is very real.

That's a tough one. I found out that Speedy had lyme disease and that when his joints are painful he has a strong fear reaction to other dogs, and to me if I'm too demanding!

But there really isn't any one particular medical condition that could cause such a thing - any illness that causes discomfort or pain could.

On the possibility that it's not a physical cause - how old is Riven? Did you notice this starting all at once, or did it develop gradually? Has Riven ever been shy/fearful/soft in the past?

Riven is 1 year, just over 1 year according to the vets best estimate. She's always been very soft. Shes always acted super hurt if we've ever raised our voices or made her feel excluded in some way. (By excluded I mean kick her off the bed if we're well.. you know lol :rolleyes: ) She's always shyed away from strangers. When we first got her if she thought we were upset, or she was in trouble or goin to the garage (we did that instead of crate for a while) she'd run from us and cower in a corner. She's never been fear aggressive or anything just super super sensitive.

I havea trick I do with Angel. I tough her the "touch" command. If she is bothered by something, I can ask her to touch it for a high reward. That takes a lot of the negative perception out of some everyday items like the vacuum cleaner or bikes that I have around the house.

I will add that angel is a pretty bold dog, and is not bothered by that much, but she does give the kooky eye to a lot of things.

I don't want to scare you, but you might want to take her to the vet to get checked over. Physically it could be an infection that you can't see the source of. I had one Lab that I noticed shaking when she was out in the sunshine with us on a fairly warm day. I watched her and noticed she was shaking like that on and off a lot. Very unusual for her and since she was 11 at the time, I hauled her to the vet. It turned out that she had an infection in her one of her heart valves. She was shaking due to chills from a fever. No idea how she got the infection, nor did I have any clue she was sick other than the shaking. She was eating and drinking fine, no vomiting or diarrhea, no lethargy, just the shaking.

I've got a call into my vet, but like I said, the vets here suck. I'll keep an eye on her and see if she's shaking at any other times. Im pretty sure it isnt medical - She only does it if she's scared or if we speak to her in an authority way. I hug on her constantly, and always am showering her with attention, pets, pats, loving, and I've never noticed it unless she's scared or thinks she may be in trouble.

My Raven used to be very sensitive to raised voices, sudden movements, or any sort of physical contact forcing her to do something (example: putting her into a 'down' position by sliding her front paws out)

what helped was sort of a game we'd play. If she was cowering, I'd scratch her ear, or rub under her chin for just a second, then draw back--all the while talking sweet and excited like--and if she seemed intrigued or inched closer for more, I'd do it again, real quick and draw away....its just my personal little trick for dogs I've known who like attention, love to be pet, but are nervous about meeting new people or being in new situations. I would do this until she'd appear to be a little more relaxed, at ease, and cheered up...then give her a treat and go on to something else. Pretty soon having her lay down was not so scary.

I will try that, it sounds really similar to Riven. I dont want to comfort her, but I think she thinks she's in trouble when I tell her down. So maybe just a quick brush on the ear or chin she'll realize Im not mad and she's not in trouble. Most of the time all I want her to lay down for is because she's in my way. She follows me like a shadow, and if Im cooking particularly she causes me to stumble. I would love to get my hands on whoever hurt her previously... :mad:

What about thyroid problems? I don't know anything about that personally, but it's been mentioned often as being a cause of temperament changes.

I would love to get my hands on whoever hurt her previously...
Wouldn't we all... :mad:

Well, today I leashed Riven up to walk and train with her. I havent been leashing her cause I do all this in my yard. I walked up the street today stopping and giving her little hot dog goodies. She did great. Its almost like she knows if I have treats Im bossing her around but she gets a reward. She actually did really great. I walked past a few barking dogs and she looked, but after I corrected her she kept goin along. Not wanting to sniff the ground or anything. Just walking. :rolleyes: She was proud of herself. I think Im gonna have to hide treat bags around the house and just randomly give her treats or something so she thinks in training mode not in Im gonna get hit mode. Why would she just act scared all of a sudden???? She wasnt scared of us after about amonth of bein here. Im wondering if we're doin something thats putting her on edge.

The vet called back. He doesnt think its medical at all. I was surprised, he actually had a lot of BC knowledge. Gave basically the same advice I've received here. He did say something I was unaware of. If we come home and she's been bad, dont punish her. Dont say a word to her... I've said bad girl or whatever.. He said basically BC's are so soft, you cant speak harshly to them, and I realized talking to him this is definately the case with her. I've spoken harsh to her, not being mad at her just mad at a situation, and I realize now that could have been devestating to her. :rolleyes: I feel so bad. I wasnt upset with her, but she saw it that way. Like Im constantly tripping over her in the kitchen, so I'll say go lay down.. thinking back on it, I do say it harsh, and not meaning to be mean, but Im very, I dont know what the word is.. just stern I guess. I have to watch myself from now on. She's great preperation for a kid lol. So, the vet was very helpful. I think I'll see him from now on. It wasnt the vet I've been seeing at his office.

He did suggest something else for seperation anxiety. Come in a back door, or different door. That way the trigger of us coming in the front isnt there to excite her. He said basically make it like, you werent here but now you are, just like as if I'd been in a different room. He also said to play ball with her or wear her out before we leave, even if its convenient to do it later, do it before we go. Basically she'll want us to leave so she can sleep lol :D

That could well be the reason (Kessie would react like that). If it is, then I'm glad it's something non-medical.

She sounds soo much like Kessie, always worried about doing something wrong :rolleyes: . I'd like to tell my silly dog that even if she bit my head off, I'd still owe her the best time I've ever had, but she doesn't understand.

One thing I never manage to do right is to call Kessie HAPPILY when she's accidentally pooping in the middle of a path. Instead I protest loudly and spend the rest of the walk kicking myself and worrying if she'll ever dare to poop again! Even after almost two years of being together day and night I still manage to scare her. They learn a lot faster than some of us do :mad:

Maybe you can try to remember what situations might have caused it (like getting between your feet in the kitchen) and be especially friendly to her when it happens again. At least that's what I do when I've screwed up (again): repeat the situation without the nasty part but with lots of praise. It seems to work for Kessie.

This would be my idea, very similar to what you've said you've been doing though.

If she does think being told to lay down is a punishment, you could make it fun again like when she was being trained. Give her treats when she does as she's told , hopefully she'll figure out that your not mad with her then and being told to do something isnt scary!

Hope you figure it out soon