BC Boards

Possible infection?

daisyandme

On Christmas Day after arriving at my grandmas house, I let Daisy out to go potty. She usually only goes once or twice per potty break, but this time she went 5 times in just the one break. I thought maybe it was just because she was in the car for awhile. Throughout the day she wanted out, what I thought seemed more often than usual, but then I thought maybe she just wanted to play and was doing her crazy puppy laps around the yard.

Yesterday she wanted out a lot again, at times she would go 3 to 5 times per potty break. She was also licking herself what seems more often than usual. Last night she was not able to make it though the night (she usually does). She needed to go out twice. With the second trip urinating multiple times. She does not appear to be bleeding because I caught her urine with a cup to check. She does not appear to be urinating much per "squat" either. I am going to get her into the vet, but because it is Sunday I will have to wait, unless this is something that can't wait until tomorrow morning for me to call? Does this sound like an infection and is there anything I can do to offer her any relief in the mean time?

Thanks everyone!

It does sound like a uti . Collect some urine right before you go to the vet . They can run a in house test or send it to the lab . Its easily curable with antibiotics . If you do collect some urine , keep it cold. Your best bet would be to collect it at the vets office , IF she will empty there . :rolleyes:

Good luck. :D

What is her age? UTI's can cause symptoms like this, and so can the presence of crystals in the urine (which can make urination painful). Prior to going to the vet's, you may wish to collect a sample in a clean ladle, put in a clean container, and (as noted) chill. Otherwise, they could probably run a catheter but a natural sample may be less traumatic!

Very best wishes with this!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Daisy is 5 months old Sue.

I just got back from the e. vet because the urination was just waaaaaay to frequent. They did an in house urine analysis and everything looks normal. Upon examination the vet found that Daisy has a recessed vulva. Because of her frequent urination, licking and the recessed vulva the vet believes she has puppy vaginitis. I told the e. vet that about a month and a half ago, Daisy was experiencing a mucus discharge when she urinated (this was looked at by our regular vet and the vet said to watch it but it is normal) and I think this further suggested puppy vaginitis especially because of her recessed vulva. The vet gave me clavamox to give Daisy for a week and told me that because of the recessed vulva, Daisy is more prone to UTI's when she gets older. But the vet also said that because Daisy is not fully developed, the problem could correct on its own. She also said if the UTI's become chronic, Daisy could have some sort of reconstructive surgery to correct the recessed vulva.

Edit: What do you know, just went to give Daisy a tummy rub and the mucus is back!

Ive seen that with a shepherd were I work. If you dont get it sugically corrected , the dog will be miserable and the smell from it is beyond words. :rolleyes: I hope it corrects itself .

How long did your vet suggest to wait and see if it corrects itself ? Would you be spaying her ? And would the reconsructive SX be done the same time she is spayed ? Did he/she suggest Daisy wear a cone to prevent her from licking until she either outgrows this or has surgery ?

Sorry about all the questions , Im just curious..

The vet suggested we wait until she is fully grown...so till about a year old? Unfortunately, Daisy was spayed at 12 weeks old before I got her from the rescue. From what I have been reading online so far, she should not have been spayed but instead they should have waited for her first heat cycle. This would have allowed her vulva to not be so recessed. She now becomes susceptible to infections for life unless she either matures out of it or has the surgery. The vet did not mention anything about a cone. I have looked up online that I should clean the area with a warm wash cloth after she urinates because it is not as harsh as the licking and I have also read about giving her cranberry juice or cranberry pills??? Has anyone heard of this before????

Ive seen that with a shepherd were I work. If you dont get it sugically corrected , the dog will be miserable and the smell from it is beyond words. :rolleyes: I hope it corrects itself .

How long did your vet suggest to wait and see if it corrects itself ? Would you be spaying her ? And would the reconsructive SX be done the same time she is spayed ? Did he/she suggest Daisy wear a cone to prevent her from licking until she either outgrows this or has surgery ?

Sorry about all the questions , Im just curious..

The vet suggested we wait until she is fully grown...so till about a year old? Unfortunately, Daisy was spayed at 12 weeks old before I got her from the rescue. From what I have been reading online so far, she should not have been spayed but instead they should have waited for her first heat cycle. This would have allowed her vulva to not be so recessed. She now becomes susceptible to infections for life unless she either matures out of it or has the surgery. The vet did not mention anything about a cone. I have looked up online that I should clean the area with a warm wash cloth after she urinates because it is not as harsh as the licking and I have also read about giving her cranberry juice or cranberry pills??? Has anyone heard of this before????

Yep , you can wash her "area" a few times daily with the warm wash cloth. But you can also use "non alcoholic" baby wipes too. This may be better because you can throw them out and use a fresh one every time you need too , instead of using the same washcloth. Just make sure of they are non alcoholic ones. :rolleyes:

Poor thing was spayed so early , I feel so sorry for her..But you cant dwell on that now , whats done is done. :D

The cone would be a pain in the you know what if she had to wear it constantly . So Im glad it wasnt mentioned.

But if she does "go to town" licking that area , it might be suggested . :D

I havent heard about giving dogs cranberry for UTI but I do know we humans benefit form cranberry when we have UTIs , so I guess it makes sense. i dont think it could hurt .. :D The clavamox will help her though. Im wondering why they didnt give her Cipro ?

Poor, poor Daisy. Us women know those UTI's can be painful and a nusiance to say the least. :D

Oh man, I hope no cone! She has so much energy, I have no idea how I could manage that one. Although, the last two days she has slept during the day time, which is not something that she usually does. She did have more energy this morning than yesterday morning.

She has had two pills so far and seems to not be going out as often. She is managing to make it longer than an hour without having to go out again which is a major improvement since she was wanting to go out about every 15 -30 min and an hour if we were lucky. The only thing that seems odd is how many times she tries to go in one outing...She is now starting to stand/squat shortly after urinating so it must feel like she has to go more. I know the vet said that area is irritated. But it makes me nervous when I see something new.

I am not really sure about trying the cranberry, will see if anyone else has heard of it before trying.

I read here: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=56235

that clavamox is because she is a puppy???

Yep , you can wash her "area" a few times daily with the warm wash cloth. But you can also use "non alcoholic" baby wipes too. This may be better because you can throw them out and use a fresh one every time you need too , instead of using the same washcloth. Just make sure of they are non alcoholic ones. :rolleyes:

Poor thing was spayed so early , I feel so sorry for her..But you cant dwell on that now , whats done is done. :D

The cone would be a pain in the you know what if she had to wear it constantly . So Im glad it wasnt mentioned.

But if she does "go to town" licking that area , it might be suggested . :D

I havent heard about giving dogs cranberry for UTI but I do know we humans benefit form cranberry when we have UTIs , so I guess it makes sense. i dont think it could hurt .. :D The clavamox will help her though. Im wondering why they didnt give her Cipro ?

Poor, poor Daisy. Us women know those UTI's can be painful and a nusiance to say the least. :D

Yes to the cranberry. Sam gets a capsule twice a day. My vet explained it makes the bladder walls a little slicker, so that bacteria can't take hold as easily.

Also, make sure she drinks plenty of water daily. Add a little non or low sodium chicken broth, or add water to her kibble. You want to keep the urine flowing and a bit dilute.

Good luck with her.

Ruth

Oh man, I hope no cone! She has so much energy, I have no idea how I could manage that one. Although, the last two days she has slept during the day time, which is not something that she usually does. She did have more energy this morning than yesterday morning.

She has had two pills so far and seems to not be going out as often. She is managing to make it longer than an hour without having to go out again which is a major improvement since she was wanting to go out about every 15 -30 min and an hour if we were lucky. The only thing that seems odd is how many times she tries to go in one outing...She is now starting to stand/squat shortly after urinating so it must feel like she has to go more. I know the vet said that area is irritated. But it makes me nervous when I see something new.

I am not really sure about trying the cranberry, will see if anyone else has heard of it before trying.

I read here: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=56235

that clavamox is because she is a puppy???

If you ever had a UTI yourself , you know the feeling that you really have to go and NOW , but only a little comes out , she squats and does her thing , but feels she still has more . She figures why squat again if she was already on her way back up to a standing position . Poor thing . You should see a difference now since she is on the antibiotics . Less urgency and probably less squat/standing . I have to say it again , Poor Daisy. :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the help and to give you an UPDATE.

Daisy went back to her regular vet on Wednesday for a recheck. They still could not rule out an infection even though her test results look good. I think they wouldn't rule it out because her symptoms said otherwise and on top of that she began responding to the antibiotics around Tuesday. She is now able to make it a few hours without needing to urinate. Ever so often she does do multiple squats when she is outside, but it is nothing like Sunday.

All this is great news, BUT I have a new symptom going on with her...late Wednesday, I thought something seemed off with her eye. I asked my mom if she though it looked like Daisy was losing hair around her eye. My mom thought it looked ok. However, yesterday it became very obvious that she was in fact losing hair around her eye. As of this morning it is too hard/early to tell at this point, but whatever this is may be around her other eye.

I tried looking up the side effects of the medication and hair loss does not appear to be one. I then did a google search with her symptom and mange came up.

I searched around on the forum and this post was interesting because that photo looks like Daisy's eye: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...98&hl=mange

This post was interesting because Daisy's immune system would already be compromised from the infection: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...93&hl=mange

I am not sure about taking her back to the vet because I am already nervous about her being on antibiotics when really it is an unconfirmed infection. I don't want her to be in pain, but I also don't like the idea of putting her of a second medication at such a young age.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know what the immune booster PSmitty is talking about? At 5 months, is Daisy too young to take something like an immune booster? Also along the same line, Daisy eats Wellness Super 5 mix just for puppy.

Hi ,

Im not sure about the immune booster PSmitty is talking about , so I cant help you there. But you might be looking at demodectic mange around the eye. My pup had that . Once you find out if its the localized form or the generalized form you will know how to treat it. Your vet will take a skin scraping of the area and take alook under the microscope. If she sees what looks like ( in my opinion ) little cigars , its demodectic mange . Treatments vary and so do opinions of leaving it be and it might clear up in its own , or treating it with meds. i used a compound of interferon and zinc which is expensive , but with not knowing if he carried the MDR1 gene , I wasnt taking any chances . I did have the test run for the MDR1 and he is not a carrier. But I still will be careful of the medications I use on him.

If he continues to loose hair , get a skin scraping ( done in office ) its no big deal . Demodectic mange isnt contagious , so dont feak out , LOL...

Poor Daisy , she just cant get a break , can she ? :rolleyes: