BC Boards

taking dally to his first herding lesson what to expect?

Sheryl,

If he's got enough training on him for agility, then you don't need to do anything but go and enjoy yourself. Chances are all obedience will go out the window when he's introduced to sheep anyway. Cheryl will know what to do with him, so just go, watch, learn and have fun!

J.

I am so excited for you both. Dally's just about the perfect age to start.

I hope the lesson went well, and I think you made a fine choice to go to Cheryl Williams. I've never met her but I have heard nothing but compliments about her.

Best wishes!

I went to my first working clinic (and first time actually working sheep) this weekend with my Kelpie. She is a "show" Kelpie, so I didn't know what to expect. Well, apparently, she likes to show me what she can do. THis dog who is fearful of strangers, and has not worked with a rake, worked very well with a complete stranger. She went right to balance, we got her to change directions, and she didn't really from what I could see have a preferred side, and well, she just amazed me. The clinician was very very good, and to say I was happy would be a strong understatement. To think, my dog who isn't fond of strangers, working with nary a thought for me?

So, I would tell you from my experience, if you have chosen a good trainer (you have), have faith, and one thing- don't look your dog in the eye- that brings YOU back into the picture, and NOT the sheep, so your dog may want to be with you.

Anyway, have fun!

Julie

As someone who very recently took the first lesson with my dog, I have this piece of advice: try not to expect anything in particular and just see what you see!!

I expected Speedy to completely ignore the sheep and stay pretty much in heel position out there! He surprised me at first by going to the edge of the pen to look for sticks! And then he surprised me even more by getting interested in the sheep!

Then, he was running around them barking his fool head off! But he was definitely having the best time of his life!

Then I expected him to do the same thing at the second lesson, but he didn't. He hardly bothered with sticks and he hardly barked.

This is the first thing I've ever gone into with him where I have no specific expectations and it's definitely working for us - we're having a great time.

I think that is what I'm so nervous about I dont have any idea what will happen. With agility I know I could do it I used to show speed type jumpers as a kid so I can remember courses and see the best angles most of the time.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone I hope the weather improves a bit or Dal will need another bath.lol

Originally posted by Root Beer:

This is the first thing I've ever gone into with him where I have no specific expectations and it's definitely working for us - we're having a great time.

Yep, that worked for us too!

Even if Dally doesn't want to work sheep at all, you'll STILL have a great day, watching the other dogs! It's amazing how different they become from there "normal", every day personalities. If I'd had to predict every dog's "working style" at our herding weekend, I'd have gotten each and every one wrong, including my own dog :rolleyes:

Just had to add my experience with Jerome and his herd of sheep here in Long Beach. After 8 years of me telling Kate NOT to chase things, when we got in the pen and I told her to "go get 'em", she looked at me like I was nuts, turned tail and trotted back to the gate with her nose presssed against the rails! Jerry was very patient and encouraging, but dashed any insight I had about Kate's ability. Now, if I had tag teamed her with her brother, who knows what might have happended. I guess sometimes it is too late to teach an old dog new tricks!