BC Boards

OT/ Can gas veh. be converted?

I started a new topic cuz I didn't know if anyone was still reading the other. My question is, if we want or need to start using, say ethenol, will I be able to use it as a fuel without changing my truck. If it won't run on it as is, is it easly converted?

I really don't care what it runs on, as long as it works and I can do it. I am perfectly open to new fuels. Just don't wanna give up my truck!

Originally posted by Dixie_Girl:

I started a new topic cuz I didn't know if anyone was still reading the other. My question is, if we want or need to start using, say ethenol, will I be able to use it as a fuel without changing my truck. If it won't run on it as is, is it easly converted?

I really don't care what it runs on, as long as it works and I can do it. I am perfectly open to new fuels. Just don't wanna give up my truck!

I think its too costly and impractical to convert a car to run on ethanol. Its better to buy a new one. I think Ford and few others are pushing for this technology at present.

Trouble is Ethanol is not cheap. Its about the same price as normal gas. So no gains, except perhaps if one is concerned about the environment.

Also, you can check this site for more info:

www.e85fuel.com

They have a list here of vehicles which already run on Flexible Fuel (ie gas and E85)

If you are considering coversion to alcohol, you might want to take a look at this: Running On Alcohol

Also, consider a FFV-rated vehicle for your next purchase; there are already several vehicles on the market that are capable of running on E85. There are converison kits available in the $500-$700 range, but I am hesitant to trust mail-order kits for vehicles.

Incidentally, if you do not want to give up your truck, 2007 Chevy trucks and SUV's with 5.3L V-8 engines are E85-compatible, as well as the Ford F150's with the 5.4L V-8 and Daimler-Chrysler (i.e., Dodge and Jeep) vehicles with the 4.7L V-8. A more complete listing of E85-compatible vehicles can be found at E-85 Compatible Vehicles; your truck may already be E85-compatible. The website also identifies where E85 can currently be purchased.

Thanks all. My truck is a 1977, the vehicles listed weren't even close! So I don't think the ethenol will work. If they made a 77 or 78 F150 with a diesel engine, I could probly switch motors and go with the biodiesel, which to me sounds like a better deal. DH can do the work. I don't know. I think the rest of the world will switch over to the alt fuels and maybe they will let me have the left over gas! :rolleyes:

I just don't know. I can't imagine the world coming to a stop. Something will come up.

There is a future for electric cars - check this website. The philosophy is create the BEST car for the 'rich' and then the technology will filter down so it becomes affordable. If you can make 'electric' appealing - that's the way to get changes happening.

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

Originally posted by Mr_Tiki:

Ethanol is not cheap. Its about the same price as normal gas. So no gains, except perhaps if one is concerned about the environment.

This might vary by state. However, here in Missouri, when the cheapest gas was 2.899 last week, 85% ethanol was 2.199. The 70 cent price spread holds here no matter how much gas prices go up or down. I get 17% worse mileage on the ethanol (more than the 5-15% quoted in their literature), but the price savings is still worth it. Also, it's better for the environment, as an anti-war measure, to support local farmers, etc.

I drive a 2000 Dodge Caravan with 150,000 miles on it. I did not even notice it was a flexible fuel vehicle until I accidentally pulled up next to the ethanol pump at the local gas station and thought I might as well read the sticker inside my fuel door. Sure enough, it says E85 is fine, and I've been running on it for months now.

Columbia, MO

One issue to consider with alternative fuels (e.g., E85, biodiesel) is lubricity. These fuels do not have the same lubricity as traditional petroleum-based products. It is therefore important, particularly with older high-mileage engines, to use a premium grade or synthetic oil. You might also consider whether some type of additive would be appropriate; check with your OEM dealer's service department.

For those considering European-produced diesel engines, be aware that these engines are designed for ultra-low-sulphur fuels available in Europe; typical American grades can cause fouling of the injectors. This can be avoided by using special additives with the diesel fuel; companies such as Stanadyne make commercially-available additives for diesel fuel.