BC Boards

Ground up vension

Forgive me for my ignorance as this may be a dumb question: I have a few packages of ground up venison (my brother is an avid hunter). I was going to cook some up and mix it in with kibble for Jax. I assume venison is fine as you can buy vension kibble?

PS – the little guy is turning a year in a few days!!!!

post-9395-1259855160_thumb.jpg

I just browned a pound of ground venison this morning, mixed with chicken livers, because I had gotten them all out trying to tempt JellyBean to eat and then needed to cook for fear of "oldness." Plus, since not all my dogs eat raw, I didn't want to deal with "poop-splosion" issues later. As Karen pointed out, if you're in an area where chronic wasting disease is an issue, then you will need to be more careful about what/how you feed venison, but generally raw or cooked is just fine.

J.

In moderation and well-cooked, venison is fine. Make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked to kill off any parasites; also, use small amounts mixed with regular food, as your dog's digestive system will be encountering something with which it is unfamiliar.

P.S. - Have you thought about using the ground-up meat to make venison chili? Also, if you mix it with ground-up pork (for moisture), you can make great venison burgers or meatloaf.

I live in MA but the deer was shot in ME. Unfortunately I didn’t have my doe permit and the deer walked right by me. I had to give him up to my brother who was lucky enough to have his permit.

I do have a few GOOD recipes for venison chili. If anyone wants them, they are a hit for Sunday night football!!!

Thanks all! Right now I am feeding Jax about a 1 ¼ or kibble with a spoon full of non fat yogurt twice a day. He likes it but I figured he would like the venison more!!!

My dogs WISHED they got ground venison! But that's all the humans in the house eat, so the poor deprived dogs must make do with kibble and occassionally a bit of leftovers.

My dogs WISHED they got ground venison! But that's all the humans in the house eat, so the poor deprived dogs must make do with kibble and occassionally a bit of leftovers.

My dogs get carcasses and anything left over in the freezer from last year. A friend of my housemate's killed several deer recently and I got the hearts and livers for the dogs too (my housemate told me I should have sampled the deer heart when I browned it for the dogs, uh, no thanks)! This was a special case because I was trying to tempt a very sick kitty to eat and he generally loves raw venison (although in this case the smell actually made him throw up). So it was thawed out for the cat and then fed to the dogs.

J.