BC Boards

Acana Dog Food

BayouBC

Of my five, four are currently eating EVO and one is eating Orijen 6 Fish (staying off chicken and beef). Over the winter here the dogs aren't out as often or for as long as they are the rest of the year, so I'm thinking of bumping down to a little lower protein. Both EVO and Orijen's protein percentages are in the low 40's. I've looked at a number of foods, and going by type (grain free), quality, and price Acana is looking like the food I want to switch to for the winter. It'll probably be Pacifica (for Kodah, the non-chicken dog) and Prairie Harvest (for the others). Both are low 30's for protein.

I've really liked the Orijen, which is made by the same parent company, and I like the parent company over all for a number of reasons. Two big ones being that they don't use random ingredients from all over the world, and they make produce the food themselves instead of sending it out to be done at another commercial facility - both of which mean they know what's going into their food.

Since I've never used it myself, I just wanted to see how many people have first hand experience with it. Like it, love it, one formula over another, etc. I'm crossposting this on the BC rescue board too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been an avid feeder of Orijen and Acana for quite a few years. Right now I'm feeding Go! Natural, as Daisy seems to do better when I mix up her food. If I have her on one food for too long she starts getting fussy. Acana has re-done their recipe to be a little better quality than it previously was. They are both great foods and the company is wonderful! After the melamine scare a few years ago, I emailed them while I was in search of a "local" dog food. I had a huge list of questions and not joking, within 2 hours they responded and answered all my questions. They also do not conduct any animal testing in the ways that some other companies do and all "taste testing" is done in employees homes with their own pets from what I remember.

I'm glad to see a lot of people like it. Kodah's been on the Orijen since probably mid-spring (Wellness Core Ocean before that), and he's been doing great. But even though he's outside almost all day most days since he comes up to the barn with me, he's getting a little thick in the middle the last month. It could just be a weight fluctuation or even that he's slowing down a little - he IS 6 now, it has to happen sometime - but I can only imagine that it'll get worse over the winter when they're not out as much. So I'll try the Acana for the older guys, Kodah, Pith, and Reece, and probably keep Duma and Tweed on the EVO for now.

Good to see you back on here! How are things?

Things are good. The dogs are all happy and healthy. This is the time of year when they're out on the trails a lot more since camp season has completely ended, so they're all thrilled. Who cares if the water's getting a little cold? Not them. We're still getting some warmer (60's, even a low 70's last week) days popping up, but once it stays cold they finally get it in their heads that the creek's just a little too cold for swimming. Before long it'll be snowshoe weather, so that's something to look forward to.

And I'll be shocked if I ever see you say you've switched Chesney off of raw! Never going to happen. :rolleyes: Even though I haven't been posting anywhere much, I pop on and read a good bit. He looks like he's doing great. You still eventually looking for #3?

Zoey eats Pacifica and Fennec is eating Grasslands and Pacifica. Both are doing wonderful on it. My friends aussies eat the Prairie Harvest and are also doing well.

Fenny says hello! We had a baby 3 weeks ago and he is smitten with her :D

Ahh...my favorite blue boy! Of course, he was my only blue boy, but the title will stick regardless of any others that come along. Congratulations on the baby! I'm glad he's enjoying the baby. What does Zoey think of her? I love hearing about dog owners with new babies where it's working well. It makes me want to just smack the people that get rid of their dogs just because they're having kids.

And I'll be shocked if I ever see you say you've switched Chesney off of raw! Never going to happen. :rolleyes: Even though I haven't been posting anywhere much, I pop on and read a good bit. He looks like he's doing great. You still eventually looking for #3?

Yeah, Chesney does well on raw.

#3... I think it's more like 2.5 since Tucker is pretty much the family dog and not really mine like Chesney is. I'm more so waiting to move out with a real job (firefighting) and soon! But I have my sights set on a pup in about a year!

And Kodah getting thick? All your boys have always been skinny minis when I would see them!