BC Boards

Gus has been adopted.........

Well our Layla now has a brother. Gus was adopted this past weekend. Myself, Sue & Layla made the trip to Glen Highland Farm and had a successful adoption of Gus. Gus is 14 months old, only 10 days younger than Layla. They hit it off immediately and we knew he was the one. Gus' previous owners adopted him at 5 months and decided he was too much for this family, their lab was not happy with him and this family didn't understand his needs, plus they had a small child and another on the way.... So he was relinquised to the farm, fostered and spent a few days at Glen Highland when we arrived on Saturday. He safely arrived home yesterday and doing doing GREAT...

He now has a family that understands what he needs. We want to thank everyone for checking in during our search.

Update on Gus. He's doing just fine after his first week at home. Visited the vet on Saturday for his checkup. Bloodwork came back fine and is scheduled for his neuter in the next couple of weeks. However he's fighting a upper respiratory infection and the Vet found whipworms in his stool sample. Vet wants to clear worms and URI before his operation. Other than that everyone is getting along just fine.

so I'll just bite here....why is an established rescue adopting out adult dogs that have worms and dogs that are not already neutered? I can understand the uri, those can happen out of the blue. And maybe the worms just popped up too... but unneutered. whatthe? adopted out twice now, and not nuetered before going to either home?

Explain please, or link the rescue to this and let them.

so I'll just bite here....why is an established rescue adopting out adult dogs that have worms and dogs that are not already neutered? I can understand the uri, those can happen out of the blue. And maybe the worms just popped up too... but unneutered. whatthe? adopted out twice now, and not nuetered before going to either home?

Explain please, or link the rescue to this and let them.

Gus was being fostered in NH and made it to the Farm just days before we visited. He was scheduled to be neutered on last Monday. However we wanted to take him on Sunday. We made arrangements with the rescue to have him done within the next 2/3 weeks.

Considering the health issues you are facing - are you happy with the experience of adopting a rescue dog......would you do it again? Did you feel that Highland Farms was doing a good job in their rescue operations? What would you have changed? I ask because their website makes one feel that they are the creme of the crop- just wondered if they lived up to that. Finally - did you see the Swafford dogs? How are they doing?

Considering the health issues you are facing - are you happy with the experience of adopting a rescue dog......would you do it again? Did you feel that Highland Farms was doing a good job in their rescue operations? What would you have changed? I ask because their website makes one feel that they are the creme of the crop- just wondered if they lived up to that. Finally - did you see the Swafford dogs? How are they doing?

Considering this was our first time adopting a dog we thought it went well. Glen Highland Farm is a terrific place to visit and Lillie Goodrich was very accomodating. She had a few dogs in mind for us to visit. She wanted us to adopt a male for Layla and explained 2 females could potentially be a problem, not sure I agree with that but so far so good. Layla & Gus are getting along exceptionally well. We definately would do it again, but for now 2 BC's is plently of work as you know. We were very isolated from the other dogs, Lillie only introduced the dogs that she though would be a good fit. We saw some of the other dogs from a distance but had no interaction with them. My only thought was why have them get excited only to be let down in the long run. We brought a dog home on Saturday night but we just didn't have a good feel for him and didn't think he was the right fit. He was a wonderful dog, but he had no interest in our girl Layla. We explained that to Lillie and she was happy to let us meet and take Gus home on Sunday for the day and spend the night. We knew right away he was the one. I would recommend GHF, all of Gus' paperwork was in order, vet records, foster history and he's even a registered ABCA dog.