BC Boards

neutering question

Undoubtedly this is a display of ignorance on my part, but..........

Farley, my latest Foster Dog, got neutered recently, and I notice that he still has a testicle sack. It doesn't have anything in it, of course, but the sack is still there. Jester, and other neutered male dogs I have known, do not have any empty sack...their bodies are just smooth there. Does this empty sack eventually shrink up and disappear, or will it always be there? I have not had a male dog neutered for many years, (Jes was neutered long before I got him, and my last 2 were female), and the last time I did have a dog neutered, years ago, the dog did not come back from the surgery with any sack left.

In very young dogs, the scrotum usually shrinks up very fast, and may be inapparent even the day of or the day after neutering. In older males the scrotum may always be apparent, though it tends to get smaller with time and may eventually become nearly inapparent or completely inapparent (depending on the age of the dog at neutering and the degree of pendulousness of the scrotum, regardless of age). In some cases in older dogs, or dogs with scrotal or testicular disease, we do a scrotal ablation (which means surgically excising the scrotum, not just the testes.)

Sorry to all men reading this thread. Cross your legs and think of football. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

Sorry to all men reading this thread. Cross your legs and think of football. :rolleyes:

LOL

One question, though - is it the same for cats? Because when our cats got neutered (long ago) I seem to remember they had no sac at all.

It is the same in cats. If the cat is older and has more - um - "evident" masculinity, there's usually some scrotal presence remaining - pretty well flat against the back of the cat, but you can see where testes once were by the way the fur grows. Males neutered very young may have no visible scrotal presence whatsoever, and in fact may be difficult to tell from female cats.