BC Boards

What's the right term/phrase?

JaderBug

"What a beautiful dog! Do you do agility with your Border Collie?"

"Nope, I do herding with my Border Collie."

I find myself saying this and cringe afterwords. Sounds like nails on a chalkboard even when it's coming out of my mouth. I find I have a hard time finding the proper term for it, as I feel like I'm still a 'hobby herder' or 'weekend warrior' though I try to get to my lessons twice a week... So I'm wondering, what's the proper term or phrase that would be better to use and not sound so ridiculous? "I work my dog on sheep?" I feel like an idiot/noob when I say 'herding' or 'herding sheep,' but can't figure out what else to say.

What do you say when you're in this situation?

I find myself thinking the same thing more and more lately when people ask how Blaze is doing. I cringe everytime I say 'herding' sounds so. . .fake to me. But I don't know what else to call it.

You could say "I work livestock/stock with my dog."

My other dilemma is this doesn't seem quite right to me either... it is definitely a hobby right now, hopefully will change someday soon, but I feel like 'working' should be reserved for those who seriously and regularly compete in trials with their dogs or work their dogs daily around the farm... like a 'hobby herder' like me can't say that in a weird way. Dunno, maybe I'm talking out of my butt.

I also find it awkward when someone says "do you herd with your Border Collie?" or "does she do herding?" like the answer is yes, but, it just sounds so ridiculous.

I also find the term 'herding lessons' cringe-worthy too. Just trying to learn the proper terminology, especially when talking to non-working or non-Border Collie people.

If I were you I'd probably say "No, but I've been taking herding lessons"

"Herding" is just one of those terms that some people cringe based on the judgement that is passed on the person emitting the word. But then there are others that wait to pass judgement based on action and don't even raise concern when the word is spoken.

It's funny, good old Vergil Holland's book "Herding Dogs, progressive training", then go to the Preface, "Herding is an activity that can provide you and your dog with many hours of useful work and enjoyment."

"In this book I will describe and discuss the herding training program and training sessions."

I wonder if the word bothers him, or what judgement he passes on someone that used the term "Herding", then again or what would people think of him if he advertised "Herding Lessons".

Is it a wonder that the term "Herding" keeps coming back to torment people? I think it bothers those that feel they have been judged by the term more then anything. I have tried to not use the term out of respect for others when posting and actually got critizied for avoiding it, go figure. It's one of those deals, you can't win, the political correctness is based on individuals within the group you surround yourself with. Much the same as you/me/us calling someone elses dog a Barbie, it's ok to judge your own dog not someone elses..... I guess it could be compared to some of the derrogatory terms people used amongst friends, it's fine coming from a friend in the right tone but if a stranger called them that they would get all ticked off.

I guess you gotta decide when speaking to non-herding or working dog people as to whether or not you want to use the term that best describes what you are doing so that they understand and not worry about what others think or if you want to be sure you are politically correct by those that judge peoples ability and knowledge by the words they use and how they use them.

Anyway, the term "Herding" does not really bother me, now come up to me at a demo/trial and say "I have a dog that does a great job chasing the sheep/cattle, he's a great dog!!", you may see my hackles start to go up....the visual that comes to mind when I hear the term "Chasing Stock" is way more problematic then when I hear someone say "Herding Stock". It's funny, I don't think we have been to a single demo where someone has not walked up to share their story of the wonderful working dog they have that does a great job chasing the livestock. After the demo they are either dead silent or are amazed as to how calm the stock is...then you get those, "Well, if our stock was that quiet our dog would not have to chase it either", falls into the same catagory of "if the sheep did not try to run away they would not get bit"...but that's a whole 'nother deal...

Deb

"What a beautiful dog! Do you do agility with your Border Collie?"

"Nope, I do herding with my Border Collie."

I find myself saying this and cringe afterwords. Sounds like nails on a chalkboard even when it's coming out of my mouth. I find I have a hard time finding the proper term for it, as I feel like I'm still a 'hobby herder' or 'weekend warrior' though I try to get to my lessons twice a week... So I'm wondering, what's the proper term or phrase that would be better to use and not sound so ridiculous? "I work my dog on sheep?" I feel like an idiot/noob when I say 'herding' or 'herding sheep,' but can't figure out what else to say.

What do you say when you're in this situation?

"She is in training for the Bolshoi Ballet."

How about "I'm learning to work stock with my dog"?

If your questioner is someone you are not likely to meet again, you can say," She just won the USBCHA Finals, Both Open AND Nursery! and has been accepted into Harvard. She has a shelf full of Oscars, and a Pulitzer (for her compositions about the many textures of goat turds).

She plans an eventual career in politics."

Heres what I tell stangers who are interested in my dog: "She's a good girl."

For me, that sezienough.

I get that as well. even when he's wearing his SD vest. My answer is usually something flip. In his red/white/blue LED collar. "He's a police dog, see black and white with lights" When out for a walk playing 4-ball* he a goalie for the local soccer team.

Of course often I just answer he's a sheepdog with no other explanation. Let them think about it.

I tell people we are going to start on sheep in the fall,

or,

She's a farm collie, She and I are going to learn how to herd sheep soon. That's all, usually no more time then for that much.