BC Boards

Odd question....

When Brody gets angry, and goes into protective mode in the house or the truck I have just realized he omits an odd odder, I can't really describe but I have smelt it before and wondered what he had got into. He has not peed on himself.

Any ideas what is happening?

None of my other dogs smelled when they were in guard mode.

Anal glands are what we call "stinky fishbutt" at my house. But that's not what Solo smells like when he gets protective. I can't really explain it other than it's his normal smell, just intensified. Solo's odor intensifies, for example, when we go to the gas station and he is protecting the car. I would think it was excess testosterone, except that Solo doesn't have testicles.

He still has some testosterone from his adrenal glands I believe.

Anal glands are what we call "stinky fishbutt" at my house. But that's not what Solo smells like when he gets protective. I can't really explain it other than it's his normal smell, just intensified. Solo's odor intensifies, for example, when we go to the gas station and he is protecting the car. I would think it was excess testosterone, except that Solo doesn't have testicles.

Just one more thing to thank my dog for.

Thank you, Buddy, for not expressing your anal glands every time you get fearful and protective.

Love, Mary

Yes, I don't believe I have ever been so utterly thrilled not to have the SLIGHTEST IDEA what the heck a thread is talking about!

It might be his annal glands, but I am not sure as it is unpleasant but not out right gross like when my female dog had problems with said glands. It also dissapates and does not linger on him like Jesters annal gland issues did. I was just curious if anyone else had had this experience.

I agree about the fear/angry it is just angry describes his behavior better, guarding your house is serious business and when my husband travels for work all our dogs have felt the need to raise their guard dog duties in his absence. On a selfish level makes me feel more secure you would have to be nuts to break in to my house.

FYI for those of you whose dogs do express their anal glands now and then. Years ago a vet told me that you can get rid of most or all of the small if you saturate cotton balls with rubbing alcohol and clean the affected area. It will still stink if you don't get all the hair, but I found it quite successful.

Kathy Robbins

Once you start paying attention, you find that everything has a smell - most obviously the stress emotions of fear, pain, anger, even insanity.

Nurses, vet techs, animal control people, prison guards, public dog trainers, and in some cases here owners of dogs that they've learned to "read" in detail....some of the groups that are probably more aware of it than anyone because their safety depends on it during first contact with unknown or verbally uncommunicative individuals.

They may not define it as "smell" as its just a part of a whole package. I remember working with student once, who though remarkably unaware of the powderkeg we working with, did comment that "boy that room smelled bad, like electricity burning". :rolleyes: out of the mouths of babes...