BC Boards

I thought I would share

Debbie Meier

The other day our latest issue of America's Horse came in the mail, it is a publication from the American Quarter Horse Assoc., probably others here receive it. Anyway, there was an article called "Becoming a Horseman". I know that some do not agree that how we handle horses can relate to how we relate and train our dogs, but I thought I would share some paragraphs that really stuck with me, there are bits and pieces of advice that I have heard from both horse trainers and dog trainers in it:

"As we progress in our journey, the way we perceive horsemanship changes. It no longer appears to us as a discipline, but rather a way of living and being with horses in harmony with how they learn, act and react."

"The first habit you must change is the way we try to understand the horse. You must try to understand things from the horse's point of view, which is easier said then done. A true horseman stands out from the crowd by his way of doing everything--from the way he tacks and leads a horse, to the way he behaves at all times."

"If we don't really feel the need to change, the horse will constantly be forced to fill the gap left by our incompetence, which results from our ignorance. A rider can compensate for this by riding well and may not feel the need to change, but the lack of understanding remains. Basic foundations have been neglected, and the rider feels he can cope without them. But the gap is there, the problems will eventually become apparent if the rider doesn't realize that only a change in habit will enable him to progress."

"Be sufficiently flexible to adapt each situation, having first made sure you really understand it. Always try to make progress; do not remain stuck on one exercise. Concentrate on improvement, not perfection. You must, however, know how to find the root of your problems and come back to it. Do not be tempted to skip certain steps; it is all a question of finding the right balance between consistency and variety."

"It is imperative to work with the horse at his own level, not where you would like them to be. By making an exercise interesting, you will give him a reason and a motive to do what you ask. Never forget that during this learning period, we have very little to offer the horse, but he has a great deal to offer us. If you can listen to his needs, you will be able to see and feel things as he does."

It's kinda funny, as I understand more about training my dogs and how to work through training situations, I find that we are handling our horses differently, they are training faster and easier, just like the dogs. Over the course of the week I keep going back to that article so I thought someone might enjoy having it shared (or rather bits of it).

Deb

Dead on!!!! :rolleyes:

And so many read it and so few get it.

You know, it's funny....a few years ago I didn't get it (though I thought I did), it went over my head, and I'm sure there is alot of information that others have tried to share with me that still would go over my head. It is almost like you won't get it until your ready, I've been lucky and have found some teachers that have helped to prepare me to see more, and blessed to have worked with some talented, though trying young dogs, and older ones to that have made me learn more. It's always interesting to see what I'm going to learn today and sorta strange as to how much learning goes on away from the livestock.

When we first got going we read Glyn Jones' book and thought we understood it, but we really didn't, we only saw the exercises not all the little things that go into the exercises and what things should look like as we went, only thing I can figure is that we really did not understand what it was we were trying to teach. We read it now and realize that the answers were right there, we just didn't know what we were looking at, though we thought we did. Did that make sense?

Talk about taking the quote "You don't know what you don't know" to a new level.

This is something that applies to all animal training and something I realiszed years ago. Some people never get it despite how long they work with animals. My family is amazed that I can train the cats to do a few things. Strangers are amazed than I can get their dogs to sit and down. Gotta think like a dog and look at the world through their noses.

Thanks for sharing that Debbie - was there an author?

Susan

This is the lead in to the article: "Editor's Note: AQHA's "Fundamentals of Horsemenship" steps 1 and 2 were produced in partnership with La Cense Montana, and Step 3 is now in the works. (Watch for an announcement soon.) All of these materials lay out step-by-step, easy to follow exercises that will improve the relationship between you and your horse; the exercises and the philosophies help you find a common language. This excerpt from Step 1 expounds on the philosophy, the journey toward becoming a true horseman.

Before your horse makes any changes, you'll have to make some first."

There is a link at the end of the article www.aqha.com/fundamentals

Debbie, I look back over the last 20 years (plus growing up) and certainly know that every person I studied under, everyone I competed against, everyone I watched, shaped my training. Some obviously much more than others. :rolleyes:

But the article is called, as I am sure I don't have to point out, "BECOMING a Horseman!"

It is after all, a journey.

Along those lines, a video that was sent around and we can certainly turn around and apply to our horses.

Heaven knows, I just lost my biggest fourlegged partner in my journey! And I can never express just how much he taught me.

The other day our latest issue of America's Horse came in the mail, it is a publication from the American Quarter Horse Assoc., probably others here receive it. Anyway, there was an article called "Becoming a Horseman". I know that some do not agree that how we handle horses can relate to how we relate and train our dogs, but I thought I would share some paragraphs that really stuck with me, there are bits and pieces of advice that I have heard from both horse trainers and dog trainers in it:

"As we progress in our journey, the way we perceive horsemanship changes. It no longer appears to us as a discipline, but rather a way of living and being with horses in harmony with how they learn, act and react."

"The first habit you must change is the way we try to understand the horse. You must try to understand things from the horse's point of view, which is easier said then done. A true horseman stands out from the crowd by his way of doing everything--from the way he tacks and leads a horse, to the way he behaves at all times."

"If we don't really feel the need to change, the horse will constantly be forced to fill the gap left by our incompetence, which results from our ignorance. A rider can compensate for this by riding well and may not feel the need to change, but the lack of understanding remains. Basic foundations have been neglected, and the rider feels he can cope without them. But the gap is there, the problems will eventually become apparent if the rider doesn't realize that only a change in habit will enable him to progress."

"Be sufficiently flexible to adapt each situation, having first made sure you really understand it. Always try to make progress; do not remain stuck on one exercise. Concentrate on improvement, not perfection. You must, however, know how to find the root of your problems and come back to it. Do not be tempted to skip certain steps; it is all a question of finding the right balance between consistency and variety."

"It is imperative to work with the horse at his own level, not where you would like them to be. By making an exercise interesting, you will give him a reason and a motive to do what you ask. Never forget that during this learning period, we have very little to offer the horse, but he has a great deal to offer us. If you can listen to his needs, you will be able to see and feel things as he does."

It's kinda funny, as I understand more about training my dogs and how to work through training situations, I find that we are handling our horses differently, they are training faster and easier, just like the dogs. Over the course of the week I keep going back to that article so I thought someone might enjoy having it shared (or rather bits of it).

Deb

Good article Deb. Learn to "read" your dog. It's a two way communication out there...Bob

I don't work horses, but honestly, all that advice is the same kind I'd give to fellow schoolteachers. I spent the first few years with eighth graders sort of doing what I thought I should, and begrudging the kids when they didn't respond the way I expected. After a while, I figured out, "Oh, this is the way kids ARE..." and then I was finally able to start working with them so that they could respond. Once you begin to learn your charges, you can begin to really plan work that works with them, rather than against them.

Mary

I don't work horses, but honestly, all that advice is the same kind I'd give to fellow schoolteachers. I spent the first few years with eighth graders sort of doing what I thought I should, and begrudging the kids when they didn't respond the way I expected. After a while, I figured out, "Oh, this is the way kids ARE..." and then I was finally able to start working with them so that they could respond. Once you begin to learn your charges, you can begin to really plan work that works with them, rather than against them.

Mary

Funny, well not funny... there was a 4 paragraph section of the article I quoted that gave the example of a teacher in a math class making adjustments to help one student learn.