BC Boards

Late night stupid question

So, I am still awake because Kip is pacing around, restless. He's normally crated/in bed by now, but DH was up late installing the washer. Turns out DH knocked over the sugar bowl on his way thru the kitchen after installing the washer (the bulk, Tupperware container into which the 5lb sugar bag goes) and Kip greedily gobbled from what was spilled, in between 'attacking' the shop vac (which he still hates) that DH was using to clean up the mess. DH does not know exactly how much sugar Kip ate...we just know it was enough to make him throw up in the middle of our bed just now. (Thanks, Kip! We'll be testing that new washer out pronto! :rolleyes: )

Has anyone ever had a more seriously ill/ more than just temporarily queasy dog from eating table sugar?

that suck! My dogs got sick after gorging themselves on kibble. We use kibble in a treat mixture but we feed raw. So we had sick dogs for 2 days. :D

on the side note: My sisters dogs like eating flour :rolleyes: . I was trying to make bread and had just purchase a couple lbs of flour and had gone to grab the rest of the grocery when I came back in he was eating the flour.

Well.

I can now speak with a little bit of authority as to What Happens Next when a border collie eats, oh, say, 3-4 cups of granulated table sugar in a hot hurry.

At least, I am well informed up to the 24 hr-post-ingestion mark.

You can file it under "The Hallmarks of Acute Gastrointestinal Upset in Dogs" or "Best Products for Cleaning Hardwood Floors". :rolleyes:

Yikes! I was lurking today just waiting for someone to respond... :rolleyes: Poor pup, you apparently have the first experience! Take lots of notes for the rest of us. :D

Reader's Digest version: Vomiting at approx 20-30 mins post-ingestion. (Overnight= calm before the storm.) Diarrhea in crate. Diarrhea in other crate he's in while you're cleaning crate #1. Diarrhea in crate #1 again. Takes extra water offered from bath tap. Pees on carpet in front of bath. Diarrhea>>>slightly bloody diarrhea from crate area in dining room to living room to sunroom. Absolutely mortified collie retreats from the scene of his shame in the living room to the bedroom, jumps up on the bed to huddle and look miserable, thereby allowing his exquisite tailfeathers/hula skirt to spread, um, evidence of the "crime" on the human's bedcovers. Humans get to test out that FABULOUS new washmachine again! Rinse, repeat.

I had to laugh through this one! I feel bad Kip is sick, but your rendition is priceless!

Hopefully better things to come.

Yeah, the description of the poor dog on the bed... definitely a priceless rendition!

Hope Kip is feeling a little better by now!

I was just wondering, other than the obvious unfortunate side effects, if there might be some actual damage done with that much sugar being ingested at one time.

Kip is much better this evening.

As to being concerned whether more than a distressed gut might be afoot...I kept thinking of my oral glucose tolerance test when I was pregnant with my kids. (You know the godawful "soda" that tastes like Karo syrup with sugar added?) :rolleyes: I am sure he'll be fine in the end.

And the new washer is FABULOUS.