BC Boards

I love this dog!

Scooter and I were sitting in our favorite recliner last night. He dozed off, then woke, scooching around trying to get comfy. I placed my hand on the arm of the chair and whispered to him to go back to sleep. He put his paw over my arm, rested his head on my hand, sighed and was out. I sat there for a long time, watching his slow, easy breathing, my arm beginning to tire, but unwilling to move. It was too pure a moment. Total contentment for both of us. God, I love this dog. :rolleyes:

Every night, Annie goes to bed with me, until DW comes to bed. (I get up early every morning to go to work, so I have to go to bed early; we senior citizens need our sleep.) I settle in, and Annie lies down next to me making full contact between her back and my body. She relaxes so completely that she drifts into REM sleep; her legs twitch (as if she is dreaming of running), and on occasion she will let out a soft "woof" (barking in her sleep). I take it as a compliment that she trusts me enough to relax her guard to that extent. Sometimes, she is so sound asleep that when DW calls her to go out and relieve herself for the last time at night, she doesn't move until I nudge her. Of course, when DW walks into the room, THEN Annie becomes alert; after all, she knows that the last thing in the day is Cookie Time!

I go through the night ritual to and I know how you feel. When my youngest dog Dave was a puppy he would curl up in the belly of his dad Pete and sleep. I would watch them and it struck me that Dave was very secure curled up with his dad and Pete was almost proud I am sure. Often times Pete would remain awake but still allow Dave to curl up with him. Dave would push himself into Pete's belly as far as he could go and enjoy his sleep. I have been told so many times that male dogs do not recognize their own and they have no feeling for them. I don't buy that after watching Pete and Dave for so long and I will argue the point. Now that Dave is full grown he will still lie with Pete but not in the same fashion. But every night we go through the same bed ritual. Dave will jump up with me and snuggle in close to my chest. Pete will jump up and snuggle in just below Dave. My oldest dog Mac generally curls up behind my legs. All three make close contact. They will keep this up sometimes only for a couple of minutes and other times for ten minutes or so and then they will all jump off the bed and go to there sleeping place which is usually in my office. I have always enjoyed their night ritual but I wish I understood it better. It almost seems important to them to have very close contact at the end of the day if only for a few minutes. Since we are on this subject if anyone can explain to me what this behavior is I would love to know.

I am glad so hear that others are as nuts as me. About a week ago-around 9:30pm - my husband called me out to the livingroom because he thought Cody was going to get sick. He had been sitting with him about 15 min. I carried the big boy into our room and held him - he would look up at me with the most worried eyes. He did loss his dinner. After that he just wanted to lie in my arms. I held him for hours - he fell asleep . He would wake up with dry heaves - I was really worried. We both fell asleep late- with him in my arms. I had been feeding him ice chips- which he took and was able to keep down. I was convinced that the next morning I should run him to the vet. Guess what. He woke up the next morning - looked over my shoulder and saw my husband. Did his commando crawl up over the pillows to bat my husband with the "It is time to get up" This dog that I was concerned was really sick - other than being a little tired - wanted to go out and play with his jollyball all day. I don't know what made him sick - but it was a quickly passing thing. Just embarrassed to admit I cradled the dog in my arms all night with my hand on his heart - just to make sure he was okay. Yeah - I know - what a nut case but boy do I love that dog. :rolleyes:

I am glad so hear that others are as nuts as me. About a week ago-around 9:30pm - my husband called me out to the livingroom because he thought Cody was going to get sick. He had been sitting with him about 15 min. I carried the big boy into our room and held him - he would look up at me with the most worried eyes. He did loss his dinner. After that he just wanted to lie in my arms. I held him for hours - he fell asleep . He would wake up with dry heaves - I was really worried. We both fell asleep late- with him in my arms. I had been feeding him ice chips- which he took and was able to keep down. I was convinced that the next morning I should run him to the vet. Guess what. He woke up the next morning - looked over my shoulder and saw my husband. Did his commando crawl up over the pillows to bat my husband with the "It is time to get up" This dog that I was concerned was really sick - other than being a little tired - wanted to go out and play with his jollyball all day. I don't know what made him sick - but it was a quickly passing thing. Just embarrassed to admit I cradled the dog in my arms all night with my hand on his heart - just to make sure he was okay. Yeah - I know - what a nut case but boy do I love that dog. :rolleyes:

I don't think you are alone and you would be very surprised how many folks on this board can tell a similar sorry, if they would admit it. I have seem some of the toughest men I have ever known almost brought to tears over a very sick dog. Ranger where are you. I have spent many nights up with one or the other of my dogs doing anything a could to help make him better. I refuse to sleep when one of my dogs is in trouble especially in a situation where I cannot get to the Vet such as a remote camp or even just the middle of the night. My dogs have been sick any number of times and they appeared very ill with no obvious reason and the next morning after some sleep and care they seem to be back to normal.

It almost seems important to them to have very close contact at the end of the day if only for a few minutes.

Daisy does this, too. I usually spend half an hour or so reading in bed before I go to sleep. Daisy will curl up close during that time, but as soon as the lights go out, she usually gets up and leaves. She also comes back in early in the morning (usually between 5 and 6) to curl up for an hour or so before I wake up. Then we spend 10-15 minutes cuddling before I drag myself out of bed to start the day. It's funny how ritualistic the whole process is.

As I type these words, lying on my bed and with my laptop on my legs, Francisca is all curled up next to me, trying to have as much contact as possible with my body. She also places her head between my tummy and the keyboard, which makes typing way slow, but I just love the way she breathes and one in a while opens her eyes and checks on me.

Same goes when reading or grading exams. She just wants to be part of it, of all, and she definitely is! Love her soooo much!!! :rolleyes:

Contrary to what a certain controversial person (with the initials CM) says, petting is not just for the human, it's also for the dog. I believe it's part of a very basic need to touch and be touched, for humans and animals. A way of connecting. Certainly, as in some humans who prefer not to be touched, there are dogs who shy away from it too. But, for the most part, it seems to be something they enjoy. I've had my share of sleepless nights, sitting up with a sick puppy, talking quietly and caressing him till he fell asleep. During those times, I could actually see his little body relaxing as I stroked his fur. It's just "humane" nature. :rolleyes:

Daisy does this, too. I usually spend half an hour or so reading in bed before I go to sleep. Daisy will curl up close during that time, but as soon as the lights go out, she usually gets up and leaves. She also comes back in early in the morning (usually between 5 and 6) to curl up for an hour or so before I wake up. Then we spend 10-15 minutes cuddling before I drag myself out of bed to start the day. It's funny how ritualistic the whole process is.

Exactly what Colt does with me. I could have written this whole post. I must say that we were just on vacation for the past month and took him to the cottage where the whole family was around all the time and he cuddled much more than usual with my DH, DD and DS on a regular basis, but he still kept his schedule with me.

And yes, I especially love the way he sometimes snuggles his head into the nape of my neck like he did when he was a seven week old pup. I slept with him for the first two weeks so I could set an alarm twice a night for him to go out and do his business. I also wanted him to bond as he was a bit of a shy guy.