BC Boards

Shoshone has worms

urge to herd

So I'm picking up The Quirky One's morning deposit and there are at least 4 worms that I can see. These little babies are so big that I was sure they were some kind of grass seed, until one stood up and sniffed around.

So, is there anything over the counter that will do it? Or do I get to call my vet for the, let's see, 4th time in under 2 weeks?

Ruth

I would go to the vet. You want to make sure you nuke those little bastards. (See how much I love worms?) Do you have any clue as to what type of worms ? Poke's digestive system and appetite are crap and I really think it has to do with the tape worm he had, for doG knows how long, when we first got him. If the worm stood up, I doubt it is tapeworm, (I belive only the segments come out the back end) but no matter what they are they cannot be helping. (Unless anyone is a fan of Fry's worms from his gas station egg sandwich on Futurama)

Didn't stop to ask the little bugger's brand. It did look distinctly worm-y, though, a taper at both ends instead of grain of rice looking.

Ah well, I'm glad I know what's been making her scoot her boot and gnaw on her behind, poor thing.

Thanks for the input, I'll be putting in the call.

Ruth

Thanks, Eileen and Kim, but the doc will probably just prescribe the meds without even the stool sample. We've been with this vet for close to 14 yrs, and we've got some good will and trust built up.

Eileen, I just haven't seen worms that big, when I did find them before, they were much smaller. Yuck.

Ruth

Ewww they move!???!!! If it is a tapeworm be prepared for uber nasty-ness. -Blech- They will tell you it will most likely come out the back end, but Poke projectile vomited his tapeworm in the back seat of our car. It was so nasty I had to look, but it made me want to hurl. Hee hee, if you are feeling like toturing yourself I posted a picture of the results on this board in the past... I bet you could find the picture.

Thanks, Eileen and Kim, but the doc will probably just prescribe the meds without even the stool sample. We've been with this vet for close to 14 yrs, and we've got some good will and trust built up.

Eileen, I just haven't seen worms that big, when I did find them before, they were much smaller. Yuck.

Ruth

If I were you, for my own peace of mind, I would submit a stool sample. If tapeworms are there and you hadn't been aware before, there may be other unpleasant "tenants". JMO. Your results may vary :rolleyes:

Based on my experience with having 2 dogs wormed recently, the stool sample was not helpful. My foster had roundworms, and Jedi had tapeworms. I saw them as big as day in their stools. Both stool samples came out negative! They gave me Drontal anyway which covers several different types.

For parasites to be picked up on a stool sample they do need to be at a certain stage of the life cycle where they are shedding eggs. If you don't get the stool sample at the point that eggs are being shed, then they won't pick up on the parasite. Typically you cannot detect tapeworms with a stool sample. You need to keep an eye out for the segments.

Kathy

What kind of heartworm preventative do you use? I know that Interceptor takes care of all worms except tapeworm. When I found the worms in the stool I just called the vet and they gave me some wormer. They figured it had to be tapes because they are on Interceptor.

tapeworms can and do "stand up". I was surprised at this too, but my vet was like "oh yeah, they are like mini cobras" :rolleyes::D

I've seen them up to the size of an earthworm - coming from both ends of the dog. I've also seen horses (poor old college school horses) pass them up to a foot in length....

Fecals are a waste of time and money. They only work IF the worms are the right stage of life cycle, the right part of the colon...the animal can be dying of internal parasites and come up fecal negative. Then you deworm them and blugh...proof.

Intraceptor is a low dose dewormer that is only breeding parasite resistance to the dewormer use. You cannot depend on it, and its a shame you can get the heartworm portion of it by itself. It would make much more sense from a scientific standpoint to deworm with the proper amount of deworming once or twice a year according to the dogs age and risk factors.