BC Boards

Dog Boxes

Hello!

I am looking to purchase a three hole dog box. I've been searching all the hunting dog websites and forums for one, but haven't been able to find what we're looking for. I can't believe there are no classifieds or anything for the Border Collies, other than going to each individual stockdog association's website and searching. If anyone knows of a source for stockdog classifieds, that'd be wonderful! Also, opinions on boxes most suitable for Border Collies would be appreciated. We have both smooth and rough coated dogs. We live in TX, so heat is a factor. We're currently considering three hole crossover boxes in stainless steel, insulated with fans. Looking at the following boxes: Deerskin, Bitter Creek, Mountaintop, Crow River and Jones. Thoughts? Thank you!

Hello!

I am looking to purchase a three hole dog box. I've been searching all the hunting dog websites and forums for one, but haven't been able to find what we're looking for. I can't believe there are no classifieds or anything for the Border Collies, other than going to each individual stockdog association's website and searching. If anyone knows of a source for stockdog classifieds, that'd be wonderful! Also, opinions on boxes most suitable for Border Collies would be appreciated. We have both smooth and rough coated dogs. We live in TX, so heat is a factor. We're currently considering three hole crossover boxes in stainless steel, insulated with fans. Looking at the following boxes: Deerskin, Bitter Creek, Mountaintop, Crow River and Jones. Thoughts? Thank you!

I have a Crow River trailer and it is really nice and has good ventilation even w/o the fan. I was given 2 different aluminum boxes, one a large 2 hole with good ventilation, but rather poor insulation-a plastic cardboard stuff that the dogs took out in no time. The other is an olf small 4 hole that is basic but stays pretty cool in the sumer if moving.

Watch insulations. The kind that is sandwiched between metal works, the plastic stuff doesn't. a very open door is good, but if hands go inside, might have a problem at some time when parked. The CR trailer has screen sandwiched between the bars on the doors and that is nice. Also, good locks are great

I have a Crow River trailer and it is really nice and has good ventilation even w/o the fan. I was given 2 different aluminum boxes, one a large 2 hole with good ventilation, but rather poor insulation-a plastic cardboard stuff that the dogs took out in no time. The other is an olf small 4 hole that is basic but stays pretty cool in the sumer if moving.

Watch insulations. The kind that is sandwiched between metal works, the plastic stuff doesn't. a very open door is good, but if hands go inside, might have a problem at some time when parked. The CR trailer has screen sandwiched between the bars on the doors and that is nice. Also, good locks are great

Thank you. I did forget to add Crow River to my list. Unfortunately, they are out of business now and that is a bit of a concern for me in case we need repairs or anything done.

Hello all. I cannot recommend these guys highly enough: http://www.creativesportssupply.com/

They sell boxes and trailers. You can buy one of theirs, they will build one custom or you can customize on of the theirs. I bought a 3-hole dog box from them years ago and it's still going strong and looks great. I did add insulation, but I live and trial where it is unusally hot. I had them customize it slightly to accomodate my 5th wheel, and I needed to make some corrections after it was shipped to me. They had hinged the oustide doors the wrong way and my wheel wells prevented them from opening fully. Not only did they immediately send me the parts I needed to make the changes, but immediately paid the bill that I submitted from the guy who made the alterations. They were great to work with. Friendly, efficient and concientious.

A word of caution. It doesn't matter where you buy the box or trailer from, do not rely on the door handles and locks. They can and do come open, and I know of 2 incredible dogs that have been lost and died as a result. I put chains with self-locking snaps on all 3 of the kennel doors. There is no way anything can jiggle or bump loose and come open. Also, my dog box is bolted to the bed of my truck, so, God forbid we are ever in a wreck, the dogs are pretty much as safe as I will be in the cab.

Cheers all

Amelia is quite right on latches. While the ones I have are in very good shape and design, I am glad to have safety latches on the trailer. top storage is great and sevrves as insulation as has been said. drain holes in the bottom are also great if it rains alot, but a drill can fix that.

Do some research, compare types and features, decide what you need, make a list and go from there

Amelia is quite right on latches. While the ones I have are in very good shape and design, I am glad to have safety latches on the trailer. top storage is great and sevrves as insulation as has been said. drain holes in the bottom are also great if it rains alot, but a drill can fix that.

Do some research, compare types and features, decide what you need, make a list and go from there

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm not having much luck finding a nice used box as I'm sure folks are hanging on to the really good ones. Might have to bite the bullet and order a new one.

Here are two retriever web pages that are really popular and almost always have dog boxes posted on them under the equipment pages.

Working Retriever Central - http://www.working-retriever.com/Classified.php?category=14

Retriever Training Forum - http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/fo...isplay.php?f=30

I'm so sorry to hear that Crow River went out of business. I have a 6 hole topper from them and I really love it. It's almost 10 years old and in really wonderful shape.

Dana

Ainley also has nice dog boxes: Ainley and here's a list of other manufacturers

Here are two retriever web pages that are really popular and almost always have dog boxes posted on them under the equipment pages.

Working Retriever Central - http://www.working-retriever.com/Classified.php?category=14

Retriever Training Forum - http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/fo...isplay.php?f=30

I'm so sorry to hear that Crow River went out of business. I have a 6 hole topper from them and I really love it. It's almost 10 years old and in really wonderful shape.

Dana

Ainley also has nice dog boxes: Ainley and here's a list of other manufacturers

Thank you! I've been checking RTF daily, but hadn't checked the working-retreiver site.

I found a very nice two dog Jones box on Craigslist.

Suki

I have been checking Craigslist periodically. Unfortunately, it's quite time consuming because I have to go to each major city and search. I'm sure we'll find something soon. I'm really fond of Bitter Creek's boxes (they used to build high end horse trailers) but they haven't been around long enough to find a used one. We may have to go ahead and invest over $3000 in a new box. http://www.bittercreekhunting.com

I don't know if the ones used by mushers would be suitable, as they're intended more for winter use (though ventilation would certainly be a consideration for anyone running dryland events, they just wouldn't be doing it in the heat of summer). If you want to check them out go to Sled Dog Central and browse the classifieds (link at the top of the page), and also check the list of links on the left side for "Equipment and Supplies"

Looking at the following boxes: Deerskin, Bitter Creek, Mountaintop, Crow River and Jones. Thoughts? Thank you!

1995 Jones 8 hole trailer

40"x29"x32" dog holes

heavy rubber matts

louvered doors

two super fans

pop up roof vents

20gl water tank

large center storage

luggage rack

new tires

contact Thad Flemming

660-909-2067

Leeton MO

Not sure if you wanted new or broke in!

I have an 8-hole Shamrock topper and love it! Got it used(1 yr. old) from CPH Sales in Ontario,CA http://www.cphsales.com/ when a retriever guy traded it in on a chassis mount. Each 'hole' is 22" wide and 36' deep. My red dog is very big and he is quite comfortable in it. Well insulated and ventilated to keep the dogs cool in summer and warm in winter. It also has 3 fans in the roof that I have never needed to use.