BC Boards

That was a close one!

Something else to worry about. This morning while walking Bandit in neighborhood we came upon a large turtle crossing the road. It stopped in the middle when it saw us. I didn't want it to get run over so I thought to either pick it up by shell and move it. Or nudge it along. Lucky for me my common sense was not to get too close to it. A couple of years back when I had my Great Dane, my next door neighbor had told me that when he was a kid still living in the house next door, he and a friend saw a dog get it's nose bitten off by a snapping turtle a few blocks further down behind the school..

Sure enough when another walker came by a few minutes later he picked it up by grabbing it by it's long tail to get it out of the road. He said it was an Aligator Snapping Turtle, which has a long neck that will come out fast and grab onto it's prey never letting go or snapping off peice of it.

Anyone else have a close call with a turtle or other animal? Maybe a scary Rabit? hehe

Havent had any close calls.

I moved a big ole snapping turtle out of the road not to long ago. I picked it up from behind. All it did was flap its feet and try to pry my fingers off. I had a hard time holding on to it, but did manage to get it safely across. Guess I dont have much common sense. LOL

A few years ago I stopped 2 lanes of one way traffic while I tried to get up the nerve to pick up a snapping turtle. When I finally picked it up by its tail, some guy in a pickup truck said I (a woman) was a braver man than he was.

We used to have three of those little red-cheeked swamp turtles in an aquarium. Those guys could bite!! My father took them along when he moved out so I wonder what has become of the little criminals :rolleyes: ...

When they got about hand-sized they actually bit pieces out of fingers (my father's :D ) so yes I would respect a real snapping turtle! :eek:

You could see it coming though, they didn't bite out of the blue. They'd hiss and give you that look first.

Many moons ago when we lived in New Mexico we had a couple of box turtles that lived in our back yard. Every day they would come out for us to feed them. They do have a certain amount of intelligence.

One day I heard my wife yelling from the backyard while I was working on my truck in the front. My son, 5 at the time, had found one of the turtles and stuck it up to her face so she could kiss it. Instead, the turtle did the kissing and locked on to her cheek. I was able to pry it off with my thumb nail but it left a nice red spot perfectly shaped like his mouth for a couple of days. My wife still doesn't find that amusing.

I don't know what this has to do with Border Collies.