BC Boards

Izzy's Hyperactivity...

So Izzy turned 3 months last week, still very young! Here's what happens. She is crated while we are at work, but she is never alone for more than 5 hours during they day. She'll make it about 7 hours at night, I don't let her go longer but she doesn't cry to go out for a potty break. Also, what I am about to explain happens when she is out of her crate all day! The first lady is off Thursday's and we're both here with her Sat/Sun. Here's the rub:

I come home from work, she goes out plays for a bit does her business. I do a bit of work and unwind for about 30 minutes, she'll usually grab a chew time and chill next to me. We go for a long walk, about an hours worth sometimes a bit less. We come back, she's pooped, grabs a big drink and will nap for 20 minutes. Eats dinner, back outside to race around the yard at mach 4 for a good 30 minutes. She'll wear herself out again. No nap this time. Now the first lady and I will have dinner and she'll play with her toys. When the clock strikes either 7:30 or 8:00pm it's like cinderella turning to a pumpkin! It's the witching hour for sure. She turns into an utter menace, barking running around, chewing evertyhing she's not supposed to. This lasts for exactly one hour then she turns back into a sweetheart for the rest of the night. I have never seen a dog act this on a regular schedule before, I swear you could set your watch by it.

Thoughts? Am I being crazy and she's is testing the waters with her being a puppy?

When Tommy was about that age she would get kind of crazy if she got too tired. She would start acting like a maniac. I would put her in her crate and she would just crash.

Now she just sleeps with me at night. And she normally wakes up about 3 am and plays with Ellie for a while and then goes back to sleep.

When Jack was a puppy (he's a BC/something mix), he had such a regular case of wildness every night that we named it The Nine O'Clock Zoomies. He would get so wound up, he'd be doing NASCAR turns off the back of the sofa if we let him! :rolleyes: And I swear, it was right around 9:00 every night, almost like clockwork. Sometimes I think he was just over stimulated or over tired, and if he didn't settle down in short order, he'd get a little crate time out. Or we'd just let him run crazy for a while (Lilly was always willing to chase him around) and then, like Izzy, he'd settle down shortly.

When Jack was a puppy (he's a BC/something mix), he had such a regular case of wildness every night that we named it The Nine O'Clock Zoomies. He would get so wound up, he'd be doing NASCAR turns off the back of the sofa if we let him! :rolleyes: And I swear, it was right around 9:00 every night, almost like clockwork. Sometimes I think he was just over stimulated or over tired, and if he didn't settle down in short order, he'd get a little crate time out. Or we'd just let him run crazy for a while (Lilly was always willing to chase him around) and then, like Izzy, he'd settle down shortly.

Tommy gets the zoomies at least one a day. I haven't figured out just what triggers it.

Zoomies? Oh a dog drag. All dogs do that. Jin comes up on the bed and likes to pay games for 10-15 mins after I get into bed. I would give him something constructive to do. At 3 months Izzy should be in puppy obedience class and be given something to do or play with like a squeaky toy. Jin loves those and when he wakes up in the middle of the night to play that's what he heads for.

We start class next week, as this week was postponed. Tonight she was very good! I always give her a chew toy of some sort. Ice cubes really help because on our hardwood floor it slides so easily I think to her it looks alive, like she's chasing a bug. In her crate she has several toys to choose from, so she's not lacking in things to do. It's just that one hour or so when she acts like Cybil that's really strange. One thought of mine was that her teeth/gums bug her so she's trying to find relief because not only is she running, but she's putting everything in her mouth. That's when I introduce a chew toy/ice cube and that helps a bit.

Tim

Tim, do you have a Kong for her? I swear I wouldn't have made it through Jack's puppyhood without them! Perfect for stuffing full of food/treats and giving it to her to keep her occupied for a while. Also, those treat ball thingies that the dog can roll around? Those would keep her busy and give her a little more to do. Other than that, enjoy her puppy zoomies...she'll be grown up way too soon.

Tim, do you have a Kong for her? I swear I wouldn't have made it through Jack's puppyhood without them! Perfect for stuffing full of food/treats and giving it to her to keep her occupied for a while. Also, those treat ball thingies that the dog can roll around? Those would keep her busy and give her a little more to do. Other than that, enjoy her puppy zoomies...she'll be grown up way too soon.

Scooter turned his nose up at the Kong and the Buster Cube, no matter what we put in it. He definitely wasn't food motivated. I think I ended up selling both in a garage sale! :rolleyes:

Since you are interested in doing agility with Izzy, that might be a good time to introduce her to tugging, teach her to tug and release and go right back to tugging. My dog (3) still has a period of time each evening when she is the most playful and it is right about 8-9pm she loves to tug and wrestle around, if we were outside she totally gets the zoomies (no room to zoom in the house anymore).

Dave does the exact same thing, I don't care if we just came back from an hour long walk,

he gets this look in his eyes and there is nothing we can do to stop it from happening.

He goes completely berserk, bouncing off the couches, the kids, the baby gates. But as soon

as we put him in his crate, he's asleep in minutes. It's crazy to watch and sometimes I

swear he's gonna hurt himself because he just goes nuts. I've never had a dog that will

throw himself into a forward somersault into the couch. I know he'll grow out of it, but I've gotta

get it on video before he does.

Three months is quite young and the zoomies are unavoidable. Enjoy them because once they are gone you may miss them. One thing that we did (almost by accident) and i am so grateful for is that we taught our pup Orbit to relax at home. We very seldom played with him indoors (mostly in the yard) and he has no toys lying around. When we do play, we give him the toy, we play and then we take the toy away. This way he does not associate being in the house with being crazy. It has been a god send in creating an off switch in our very intense puppy.