BC Boards

Sami continues to get older . . .

So Samantha just turned 14 at the beginning of April, and her physical activity level has slid slowly downward over the years. Yesterday afternoon, for the first time, her butt slid out from under her and she couldn't get up from it. She wasn't hurt, just didn't have the strength to lift her hind end on her own. Then this morning, she lost her hind end footing on the steps coming into the house. I'll get a couple slings to have at the front and back doors, just to be on the safe side.

Anything else to do to keep her safe and comfortable?

Ruth

So Samantha just turned 14 at the beginning of April, and her physical activity level has slid slowly downward over the years. Yesterday afternoon, for the first time, her butt slid out from under her and she couldn't get up from it. She wasn't hurt, just didn't have the strength to lift her hind end on her own. Then this morning, she lost her hind end footing on the steps coming into the house. I'll get a couple slings to have at the front and back doors, just to be on the safe side.

Ruth

Oh shoot. I am so sorry. Boy have I been there, done that. I just love old dogs. They just fit so well.

How about a ramp(s) for negotiating the stairs? I'm trying to get my act together and get one built for my 14-year-old man just to make it easier on him going in and out of the house (he's lame on the front and has trouble with stairs, though he can make it up and down still).

J.

Ruth

My Simon is 16 and has alot of problems with stairs. Sometimes I put a towel around his waist to help keep his legs upright. The other ones run past him so fast sometimes, it almost knocks him over, but if I hold the towel it steadies him. One thing he can still do well is swim. We watch him carefully when he is in the water but he loves the feeling of moving. When he gets tired we wrap him in a towel and put him on a sunny section of the lawn and watch the others go nuts! He was always a great swimmer and dock diver.

Our stairs from the first to second floor are wood, not carpet. A year or so ago, our older daughter was visiting and noticed that Fergie was acting very cautious about those stairs. She suggested the carpet tread we'd had years ago when she was a kid. They make a big difference.

I've noticed that Ferg seems to prefer our front steps and garage steps to the back ones. The first two are brick; the last, wood. Then, last week when I was taking laundry out to the line, I slid on the back steps. Any dampness makes them dangerous. I plan to find some kind of tread to put there.

So there may be an interim solution before a ramp. Hey, a ramp won't work to get Ferg up to the bedrooms. I've been considering one of those stair lifts. Heck, pretty soon, I can use one.

Ferg, 13-1/2, has had a couple of episodes when she has sort of lost use of her back right leg. The vet says he thinks it's the arthritis plus having it fall asleep because she sleeps on that side. We've learned that, if we don't act worried and just ease her along, she gets over it quickly. Plus a half tablet of Rimadyl if she seems really uncomfortable. The vet says that our worry makes her panic.

That darn back end weakness - I swear that bothers Sara more than anything else. Like the other dogs, she doesn't manage steps too well or curbs on walks so we find ways to avoid them and she has a ramp from the backyard. But more than anything, it's just getting to a standing position from a laying down position that's the hardest.

Our Jake , who passed away a year ago March - was a beautiful sheltie without a single mean bone in his body. I got him comfortable being picked up - I carried him in and out ( 45#) everytime to avoid the stairs. One thing I also added - gates. He one time tried to go down the stairs to be with us and did not do well. From then on, if I was going downstairs for more than a moment I carried him down. Shorter period of time - told him I would be right back. Sometimes he would forget his age and chase a rabbit - man did that make me hold my breath. Funny story - his hearing also went. I tested this by clapping - no response. So you had to have him looking at you when you called him and use arm motions. One thing I never got though - he always could hear when you were opening the cookie jar....

This post brings back Memories.

Before I adopted Bandit from shelter, I had an 11 yr old Greatdane who was dying of heart failure. I used a sheet as a sling when taking her to potty in yard. Also used a door as a ramp for garage stairs.

I would even carry her. 132lbs. Broke my heart when she passed.

Lance

We used one of these for over 2 years to get our 55 lb dog (with a VERY arthritic back) up and down a flight of stairs 3 or 4 times a day. Worked great! Easy to put on and it helps to steady the dog as well as lift him. You can let the dog do as much work as he/she wants to. THe handles are great, we used to call it our doggie suitcase.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753794

Oh! Did I mention inexpensive (read cheap)?

We used one of these for over 2 years to get our 55 lb dog (with a VERY arthritic back) up and down a flight of stairs 3 or 4 times a day. Worked great!

AncientDog, that is a great suggestion. I'm going to pass it along to a friend with an older dog. Heck, maybe I'll buy it for her as an early birthday gift.