BC Boards

Glycogen products

While we are on the topic of heat, heat stress and working dogs dealing with the heat I would like to know if there is a glycogen product folks have tried and liked. Is there one the dogs eat/drink better than others? I would like to have some on hand this summer. Not looking forward to our hot humid summer.

Thanks,

Denice

I've used Energy Edge for several years now, not often, like for regular work or a regular run at a trial, but when my dogs are working ALL DAY in the heat, like when we do setout in 90+ heat with 90+ humidity. I do believe it works, and the dogs seem to like the taste, as they drink it readily.

A

I use Energy Edge too. Lucia thinks it tastes awesome! Smells like vanilla cream :rolleyes:

www.9kenergyedge.com

I emailed the folks about the dose for agility and they suggested a 1/2 dose after every run. Since I've started using it, she can go an entire 3 day weekend and finishes as strong as she a started. It comes in bones and powder form. Powder is a bit messy, but a lot cheaper. The bones are pressed powder and given 1 per 20#.

I use Energy Edge too. Lucia thinks it tastes awesome! Smells like vanilla cream :D

www.9kenergyedge.com

I emailed the folks about the dose for agility and they suggested a 1/2 dose after every run. Since I've started using it, she can go an entire 3 day weekend and finishes as strong as she a started. It comes in bones and powder form. Powder is a bit messy, but a lot cheaper. The bones are pressed powder and given 1 per 20#.

IN2..................you seem as dyslexic as I am. I had a hard time with your link until I looked at it closely. Please don't take offence at my pointing it out. I am glad to see someone else has a typing problem beside myself :rolleyes: My mind works faster than my fingers. And thank you for your help on this. I believe I will go broke trying all these new things that are recomended on this site!

http://www.k9energyedge.com/

First I've heard of sports supplements for dogs. Would sports drinks fopr people work just as well as long as the sugar and caffeine content is kept down? Jin blows and goes and it's not hot yet so I am concerned about his crashing from the heat and giving him something to recover like the electrolytes I carry in my pack.

I'm not 100% on this, but I was told their electrolite balance is different than ours. I was also told that in a pinch, Gatorade type drinks were OK in an emergency, but the sugar is too high and not safe for long term. neither of mine will drink flavored type drinks, like Go-Dog, so that's why I use the glyco-gen powder/bones.

Maybe you could carry the bones in your pack and give them as a treat. This would save having to mix the powder.

Dogs don't use, and don't need electrolytes unless they have diarrhea, or are vomiting. Energy edge only has glycogen and a small amount of flavor. Sugar is a carb, but it draws water into the gut which is not ideal.

Dr Untisz DVM developed the product after her working dog began to "tie up"

Basically, "tying up" (exertional rhabdomyolysis - ER) occurs when the dog runs out of conventional sources of energy and starts breaking down it's muscle to provide energy. What we see is a dog "hitting the wall", weakness, staggering, extreme panting and loss of cognitive function. If enough muscle tissue breaks down, myoglobin (the oxygen carrying molecule in muscle tissue) builds up in the blood and excreted in the urine, turning the urine a reddish brown color. Severe cases can lead to death... just like overheating.

DR Angie then began to make the product only for herself and close friends, but was asked about it so much at trials that she started to make it available on line.

Energy edge is a must have for me when working dogs all day on the range. The dog has to keep working and water can be scarce. A use a very small amount of water( in a ziplock bag for easy carrying) and the energy edge, and i am quite sure it saved my Deacon dogs life on one grueling 14 hour day. I also like it for my older dog at 3 day trials, replacing the glycogen into the muscles results in my dog not being as sore at long trials. Lana

This is from the energy edge web site

Energy and the Working Dog

Angie Untisz DVM

Working dogs are truly premier canine athletes. As such, one should pay close attention to

meeting their energy needs. There are 3 sources of energy… fats, carbohydrates and proteins.

Understanding how the working dog utilizes energy and how best to balance these energy

stores can result in a more responsive partner that is less prone to physical injury.

Fats are the most energy dense of all the sources providing 70-90% of the energy needed for

muscle contraction (primarily fueling slow twitch fibers). In the working dog, 50-65% of

total energy in a diet should come from fats. (This translates to 25-32.5% fat on a dry matter

basis.) When fed a high fat diet, the working dog will develop pathways that promote

aerobic oxidation of free fatty acids (fat adaptation). In addition, adding an anti-oxidant

such as Vitamin E and the amino acid l-carnitine can improve the muscle’s use of fat.

Aerobic oxidation of free fatty acids leads to less lactic acid build up in the muscle and better

endurance.

Carbohydrates are stored in muscle as glycogen. Muscle uses glycogen during the initial

moments of activity and for bursts of speed and power (primarily fueling fast twitch fibers).

Glycogen stores are relatively small and can be rapidly depleted leading to muscle weakness

and fatigue. However, diets high in carbohydrates can lead to deconditioning (poor

endurance, obesity, muscle injury). For a working dog, carbohydrates should be limited to

10-15% of the total energy in the diet. To improve the working dog’s use of carbohydrates,

one should focus on replenishing glycogen stores and slowing glycogen depletion.

Replenishing glycogen stores is accomplished by providing a “good carbohydrate” at an

appropriate time. Muscle cells have GLUT4 pathways that are active during exercise and for

up to 30 minutes after exercise. These pathways allow for the uptake of carbohydrate into the

muscle without the release of insulin. Simple sugars (glucose, dextrose, fructose, corn

syrup) cause an insulin release that leads to subsequent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

Complex starches (bread, rice, grains) take too long to be digested and absorbed. Both cause

fluid imbalances that can contribute to diarrhea and dehydration. Maltodextrin is a small

complex carbohydrate and is the ideal carbohydrate for this purpose. Maltodextrin is rapidly

absorbed without an insulin release or fluid imbalance and is readily utilized by the GLUT4

pathway. When a maltodextrin supplement is given within 30 minutes of exercise, up to 85%

of pre-exercise glycogen levels are restored. Without this targeted approach, only 40% of pre-

exercise levels are restored.

Slowing depletion of glycogen stores is accomplished in two ways. First, when enough fat is

fed, slow twitch fibers will use free fatty acids as their energy source (fat adaptation) sparing

glycogen for use by fast twitch fibers. Second, supplementing prior to activity with a “good

carbohydrate” such as maltodextrin will give the working dog a little carbohydrate “to burn”

before starting on the glycogen stores. It is very important to avoid simple sugars and

starches to avoid insulin spikes and fluid imbalances.

Proteins are the building blocks of muscle and should not be a major source of energy.

Animal source proteins (chicken, beef, lamb, egg, etc.) are preferred and often offer increased

digestibility with a good amino acid balance. Diets low in protein have been associated with

increased injuries. A working dog diet should have a minimum 26% protein. For hard

working dogs, diets containing 30-40% protein are even better. The goal is to spare the use of

protein as an energy source so it can be used to build muscle mass and repair muscle

damage.

In summary, working dogs should be fed a diet high in fat to optimize energy availability

and high in protein to protect against injury. Carbohydrates should be supplemented at

appropriate times to improve their storage. Remember, feed for energy and you will have

energetic dogs.

We use Superfuel and Go Dog. It seems to help our dogs. But I have known some dogs to have blowouts on this, mine don't.

www.an-nat.com

I started using superfuel with Kipp a few weeks ago as he doesn't have the stamina I'd like him to. It really seems to be making a difference. Last week he did a 25-30 acre search where most of the grass was as tall or taller than him. He was tired at the end, but not exhausted. And then he got out and was more than ready to do another a 1/2 hour later.

I have the go dog to try when the weather gets hot.

I use Energy Edge.

I see a big difference in Tess. On the second day of a trial, she was slower before she went on energy edge. Now the fricking monster doesn't stop and is fast as a bullet train. With Nan on the second day, her tongue would hang out and she would start to wobble. Now, she doesn't wobble but is like a frieght train and right on with her responses. Before, her brain would fizz out and she would run on autopilot

So in a nutshell. one old dog (11 yrs- Tess) who was tired/sore on the second day is fast and keeps up with the younrg dogs. The 6 yr old (Nan) is no longer is wobbly and tongue to the ground but as responsive as she is on the first day.

I just ran Nan in a 2 day trial then on the third day in a double lift (25 minutes?) and then a 30 minute lesson with Jack Knox a couple of hrs after her double lift. The Energy Edge made a huge difference in that.

I am really glad that Angie developed the product.

I follow the protocol of Dr. Untisz that Lana describes above, and I am very pleased with the results.

None of my dogs is what one could consider hard-working, but they are active, and their activities require them to be active during the heat of the day sometimes. I use both the powdered mix and the bones, though my dogs prefer the powder mixed in a bit of water. Lou especially seemed prone to tying up if he had to run during the heat of the day on a longish course. After switching him to a high protein, high fat diet, and giving him the Energy Edge after strenuous work (and sometimes before), he has yet to tie up. He might appear quite bagged after a run, but 10 minutes later, he is bouncing around, ready to go again.

I've tried some of the other "endurance" products that we get as free samples at agility trials, but my dogs pee like crazy after drinking the stuff, and I'd rather they keep whatever water I can trick them into drinking! The Energy Edge product only needs to be mixed into a paste (though mine like it a little more liquidy) and it doesn't seem to make them pee.

Sorry if this sounds like an infomercial - honestly, I have no stake in the company! - but I am that pleased with the product. :rolleyes: