BC Boards

Costs of Training/Trialing?

Bryna

Over da badlands, you mean through Lamb Canyon? (sic) to Hemet? Or through Anza and Aguanja to Valley Center?

Hehe. The closest sheep are through Lamb Canyon; the closest sheep and cattle are in Valley Center :rolleyes:

A

I never responded to this.

• why get the herding dog if you don't do any herding?
  • I would think that anyone who is a former Border Collie breeder and long-time owner such as yourself, DR, would believe the same.

Then you are sadly mistaken. In the 35+ years I have owned BCs only 2 of them worked sheep regularly and that was when I was in college.

• I have worked BCs as supervisors for other dogs, hearding geese and ducks, Search and SAR, pack and drayage animals, messengers, I've used them to haul rescue lines up a rock face so we can set an extraction, run to the off license to get me a beer, carry and fetch my medical kit and one time to comfort a child who almost died. A BC may be bred for herding, only if you think that sheep are the limiting factor in owning a BC I think you need to reassess the breed.

Jin is currently in service dog training. Dors that mean he's doomed to the life of a service dog. No!

• I would no more limit a smart dog to doing one thing than I would myself. Jin plays soccer, on th Jungle Jin, fetch and retrieve with several balls at once, herds the cats and my nieces and nephews around the yard when they are here. The job if a BC owner is to keep your dog busy. That doens't necessarily mean herding sheep.

Hehe. The closest sheep are through Lamb Canyon; the closest sheep and cattle are in Valley Center :rolleyes:

A

I know about those kinds of sheep in Hemet. They live where the turkeys used to.

Addemdum: I forgot, Bas and Fuzzer were both used as patrol dogs when I was a ranger. Fuzzer is credited with 17 lost hiker finds, Baz with 11.

Possibly the second silliest thing I've read here ever.

Hi Brad:

I was adressing DR, who has stated in another thread that he was formerly a breeder of Border Collies. Since I think (again, only my opinion) that reputable breeders of herding dogs breed for herding ability (not for all of the other uses mentioned), I would think that he would agree with that statement.

I am sorry if you thought it was silly, or if that statement offended you.

ETA: You know what, Brad? You are right...that was pretty silly of me to say. I was letting my own opinions get in the way, and I apologize. Of course there are other reasons for getting a herding dog, as outlined nicely by DR.

Dracina I'll have a chance to take Jin to meet sheep in late July when my schedule frees up somewhat. It is something I like would very much like to see. As for the litters we bred. As a responsible breeder all homes were checked before we placed a pup. We also told those we sold pups to that we would take back any pup they were having problems with. Out of the 4 litters we bred for sale only 1 pup came back and we kept him.

The thread is on the cost of trialing and training. I found a place with what seems to be good prices for sheep lessons about a 90 min drive from here. The outfit I use here for training gets $120 per 5 week class and $50 per hour. Classes are a bit cheaper but private lessons are a lot more.

Dracina I'll have a chance to take Jin to meet sheep in late July when my schedule frees up somewhat. It is something I like would very much like to see. As for the litters we bred. As a responsible breeder all homes were checked before we placed a pup. We also told those we sold pups to that we would take back any pup they were having problems with. Out of the 4 litters we bred for sale only 1 pup came back and we kept him.

The thread is on the cost of trialing and training. I found a place with what seems to be good prices for sheep lessons about a 90 min drive from here. The outfit I use here for training gets $120 per 5 week class and $50 per hour. Classes are a bit cheaper but private lessons are a lot more.

If you are interested, Robin French (a member here-Shoofly) has some very good articles about starting your dog on sheep that I found to be really helpful. She is very knowledgeable, and knows what she is talking about. The articles are on her blog HERE.

Best of luck to you an Jin!

Karrin

Last night at class we were wondering how much you could teach a BC. Something I've never been able to answer. There seems to be no limit as to knowledge or vocabulary although some people have tagged it at 500 words or so. Jin is becoming a long term living experiment for intelligence; how much he can learn and how long he can retain some that training. I would imagine that in ten years or so I might have enough knowledge and data to write a book.