BC Boards

Canine Good Citizen Designation - what does that really mean?

Hi, I have been taking Cody to some "fun" classes that are focused on him getting tested for his Canine Good Citizen designation. Now I got into the testing session for May 31. What does it mean exactly if the dog has his CGC? Can he get more pay? Better benefits? A bigger company car? :rolleyes:

Hi, I have been taking Cody to some "fun" classes that are focused on him getting tested for his Canine Good Citizen designation. Now I got into the testing session for May 31. What does it mean exactly if the dog has his CGC? Can he get more pay? Better benefits? A bigger company car? :D

Not much since my crazy, psycho little Ben passed his CGC. It pretty much means that they have some basic obedience and won't immediately try to bite a strange person greeting them :rolleyes: . That said, it can sometimes help - like if you are trying to rent or get homeowner's insurance or something like that. Mostly I think it is a way for ACK to get more $$ out of people.

Lisa

My husband has used the fact that all of our dogs have passed the CGC test to try to convince people to let us take all of our dogs places where technically so many are not allowed! Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.

There are some training centers that require that a dog be able to pass a CGC test before the dog can move into more advanced classes, but most don't.

Generally it's not officially good for a whole lot, but it is a very nice first goal for a dog that you plan to do a lot of training and/or competition with. I'm the type who likes to have specific goals that I'm working toward, so I use CGC training as a way to solidify my dog's basic manner/obedience behaviors.

You don't have to send the AKC any money to take the CGC test - only if you want the certificate. The money that you pay for the test goes either to the tester or to the group hosting the testing. If you want the certificate, you have to send the paper that you get when you pass the test in to AKC. But if you don't do that, you still have the paper to prove that you passed if you ever need documentation.

Mostly I think it is a way for ACK to get more $$ out of people.

Crap! I forgot about that! I guess I did give ACK $$ a few years ago.

JJ is our 1st border collie so after he graduated from Advanced Obedience I had him tested for CGC. Back then, because JJ is so laid back, I was thinking of training him for a therapy dog. Turned out he wasn't laid back enough.

After Jake graduated from his Advanced class, the testing location was changed. I wasn't willing to drive the extra miles so he never got tested. I'm not sorry Jake's not CGC certified. He's still a good boy and we have his certificates from his obedience classes if anyone ever questions us. (And I hardly ever mention anything about JJ being CGC'd nowadays.)

There are some training centers that require that a dog be able to pass a CGC test before the dog can move into more advanced classes, but most don't.

Annie's training center required CGC certification before she could enter therapy dog training classes.

Hi, I have been taking Cody to some "fun" classes that are focused on him getting tested for his Canine Good Citizen designation. Now I got into the testing session for May 31. What does it mean exactly if the dog has his CGC?

What the actual CGC means will vary depending on who does the testing. Some examiners seem to go to pretty far lengths to "help" the dog pass. As far as having a class focused on the CGC requirements, I think it makes great sense for dog owners, especially those who just want some basic obedience in their dogs and aren't interested in obedience competition. A dog who could truly pass a CGC is a nicely trained dog. For some dogs -- such as reactive or very shy dogs --- the CGC is a good deal harder to earn than a Companion Dog title, because there is much more interaction with the examiner than with an obedience judge.

I knew a trainer who taught all of her obedience classes as if the dogs were going to take the CGC at the end. In addition to obedience she worked on accepting attention from strangers, being brushed and handled, greeting people and other dogs politely, staying calm if left with a stranger, etc. She did a great job of going beyond commands and helping people make their dogs into well rounded family pets. A lot of what I know about raising a puppy I learned from her.

As far as the actual exam goes, I would agree it depends a lot on the examiner.