BC Boards

Have I mentioned that I love this breed?

And here I thought Psyche and I were having some 'issues' training the down command... Turns out she wasn't having issues - I was. I couldn't seem to find a way I wanted to teach her that I thought she'd catch onto, and today, she was up on my bed, and I had popcorn, and she was sitting, then she layed down, I said "Good down!" and gave her popcorn. Put her back in a sit, waiting for her to lay down, said "Good down!"; we did this three times total. Then I said "Down" while she was in a sit, and pop, down she does! Just need to work on it a little more with me standing, sitting, etc., and I'm sure she'll have it!

:rolleyes: If I do say so myself, I've got a pretty smart dog on my hands!

Watch her face when you give her a command. Especially if it's a new one. You can see them processing the request. You'll also be able to tell when they know waht you want but won't do it for whatever reason.

Cheyenne is learning quickly. I have a good sit from her now and so everytime I give her a treat, I have her sit. She was jumping up from the sit to get the treat, so now I have her doing a several second stay until she gets it. I'm working on down, but thats coming a little more slowly. Often, when I get her down, she proceeds to do a roll and go on her back.

Desertranger, I noticed that too. She has a look in her eyes, because it's such a new command, that she's like "I thiiiink it's this - I'll try!"

I've also noticed that she's ALL ABOUT offering behaviours. If a touch doesn't work, why not try a high five, or paw, lol.

Laurie, I found down hard with Psyche because she really doens't lay down often. And usually when she is, she's flaked out. She has three settings: GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!, Sit and wait for a treat, and DONE. :rolleyes:

Watch her face when you give her a command. Especially if it's a new one. You can see them processing the request. You'll also be able to tell when they know waht you want but won't do it for whatever reason.

I'm so mean. Sometimes I say words to Dean that I know he doesn't know just to see the "That does not compute" look on his face!! :rolleyes::D :D

I've done it enough now, though, that he is amused by it.

Cheyenne is learning quickly. I have a good sit from her now and so everytime I give her a treat, I have her sit. She was jumping up from the sit to get the treat, so now I have her doing a several second stay until she gets it. I'm working on down, but thats coming a little more slowly. Often, when I get her down, she proceeds to do a roll and go on her back.

Capturing is by far the best way to teach anything. Catch her in a sit and say good sit. Catch her laying down and say good down. You can teach them anything real fast if you don't lead but simply "name" behaviors they are already doing. It's like you're naming the action with the free will, as opposed to naming the action with you leading besides. Do it a couple times and they quickly associate the behavior with the word and will comply because they learn by association/synchronism. At least that's what I've read. Clickers work really well for this if you load the clicker first.

P.S. Forgive me if I'm reciting things you already know. But I just learned this back in January or so...

Oh, the more help, the better! I've been reading as much as I can, but I'll take all the advice I can get. She's a very smart girl but has that little devil inside of her at times--typical border collie combined with only being two years old. Now that she's learned the doggie door is hers, she's using it to stick her head outside to see what is happening. Since it's 100 degrees out and the a/c is on, I've been "explaining" to her that we don't do things like that, either in or out. :rolleyes:

Oh, the more help, the better! I've been reading as much as I can, but I'll take all the advice I can get. She's a very smart girl but has that little devil inside of her at times--typical border collie combined with only being two years old. Now that she's learned the doggie door is hers, she's using it to stick her head outside to see what is happening. Since it's 100 degrees out and the a/c is on, I've been "explaining" to her that we don't do things like that, either in or out. :D

As smart as BC's are they don't underswtand utility bills. :rolleyes:

The room I am in right now has a sliding glass and screen doors. Right now the glass is open and the screens closed. Or I should say was. A few minutes ago Jin walked up to the screen door and opened it to go outside.

Pleh!!

Capturing is by far the best way to teach anything. Catch her in a sit and say good sit. Catch her laying down and say good down. You can teach them anything real fast if you don't lead but simply "name" behaviors they are already doing. It's like you're naming the action with the free will, as opposed to naming the action with you leading besides. Do it a couple times and they quickly associate the behavior with the word and will comply because they learn by association/synchronism. At least that's what I've read. Clickers work really well for this if you load the clicker first.

P.S. Forgive me if I'm reciting things you already know. But I just learned this back in January or so...

Nothing wrong with repeating - there may be people reading who are not familiar with the idea, it allows you to process it again in your mind, and you might be saying something that's been said before but in a different way, so that someone may understand it better.

I appreciated your comment and it's given me some thought.

I worked with Psyche again today on her down - in a group setting. By group setting I mean 4 dogs and one handle. :rolleyes: She now recgonizes the verbal command and the hand signal (hand raised above head), and does the command about 80% of the time.

She also has THE CUTEST down EVER! I'm used to my dogs putting the back end down first, then the front end. Psyche, the oddball, does it opposite. Front down first, then Bum. :D

And here I thought Psyche and I were having some 'issues' training the down command... Turns out she wasn't having issues - I was.

That's what I found out most of the time, too. It's usually not the dog, it's ME not 'getting it' or doing something right. :rolleyes:

Lizmo, mhmm, that's what it often is, with a lot of training, I find. However, usually when I do start training a dog something 'correctly', it takes them more then 2 days worth of 15 min training sessions to really 'get it'. :rolleyes:

She also has THE CUTEST down EVER! I'm used to my dogs putting the back end down first, then the front end. Psyche, the oddball, does it opposite. Front down first, then Bum. :rolleyes:

Pan does that too. All downs start with a VERY ENTHUSIASTIC play bow. She dives into her downs, with zest. It's very cute.

However, usually when I do start training a dog something 'correctly', it takes them more then 2 days worth of 15 min training sessions to really 'get it'. :D

Then you really aren't used to BCs! :D I find with Odin there are exactly 2 training scenarios: I am on MY game, teach him something or even just capture/name a behavior, and within 1 or 2 days of 5 to 15 minute sessions, it's good. Further sessions just re-enforce and maybe polish, although he's quite the military-style drillee and "snaps" into positions with flourish pretty quickly. OR there's something a little more challenging involved, and then I think it takes longer, possibly WAY longer, than with a normal dog. It's all 2 steps forward, 1 step back, and a lot of steps to the side. If I am not totally consistent on these types of skills, or if something is too self rewarding, he takes note of each inconsistency and either thinks it's ok to ignore that command, do it differently, or will suddenly interpret my hand signals all funny! It's so obvious he just plain overthinks way more than my family's husky did!

Things I've taught by capturing or that he had down pat the 1st or 2nd training session:

touch, high 5, give me some skin, sit, down, stand, take [it], bring [it], target, over and under my outstretched leg, head down, speak, toy names, a really good recall, to lay down at the curb when the ball goes into the road, leg weaves, spins, walk behind me, stop, wait, a "flashy" stay where I can jump over him, etc.

Things that I've had take forever!

a *perfect* recall all the time no matter what, a dependable and long-term stay that continues when I'm *not* paying attention, consistent good manners meeting people, heeling, retrieve and reliably *hold* until I say, roll over (for some bizarre reason). Plus, I don't know if we'll really ever do agility because the only thing he'll come near at the park we go to are the jumps and *maybe* the tunnel. It's so funny to see typical pet people lead their basset hounds, pugs, dumb-a$$ labs, etc. over the A-frames with no problem and I still can't get him to set foot # 1 on it for treat or ball! I think I've embarrassed him more than once climbing up there myself and going, come on, kid! Let's go! He then hides under the frame. Some border collie :rolleyes:

I've no doubt the second categories are my faults, not his! Very glad Psyche and you are having fun figuring out what she can do!