BC Boards

Anyone do UKC agility?

This is my first venture into UKC as the sports club I joined focuses on UKC. I have to ask, why are there so many unusual obstacles in UKC agility? I have only really been around AKC and TDAA previous t this so it's a new experience. Do any other venues have obstacles like the swing plank, hoop tunnel, crawl tunnel, etc?

I don't know why they use different things, but I do think that their hoop tunnel is really cool.

No other venues that I know of use those. In NADAC there are single hoops that are placed in the course like jumps, but the hoop tunnel, sway bridge, and crawl tunnel are, as far as I know, unique to UKC.

As I understand it, UKC fashions it's agility along the lines of rescue work. Hence the number of obstacles and the slower times. Kansas 4H adopted UKC style agility, which is too bad for the kids since few have any access to any agility in the first place and finding ALL the UKC obstacles is even more difficult.

Gin is now old enough so I can start him on agility. I thought about weave poles first since I can make them cheaply enough. Any ideas for the next step?

DR, you may want to rethink WP first. They are hard on a dog - the shoulders especially. Try a ladder for learning where "your feet" are or ground cavaletti's in diffferent directions for beg. sequencing, a plank on a cinder block to teach contacts, etc.....just not WP first!

I don't know why they use different things, but I do think that their hoop tunnel is really cool.

No other venues that I know of use those. In NADAC there are single hoops that are placed in the course like jumps, but the hoop tunnel, sway bridge, and crawl tunnel are, as far as I know, unique to UKC.

As I understand it, UKC fashions it's agility along the lines of rescue work. Hence the number of obstacles and the slower times. Kansas 4H adopted UKC style agility, which is too bad for the kids since few have any access to any agility in the first place and finding ALL the UKC obstacles is even more difficult.

That's interesting. I just wasn't sure why it was o incredibly different. It is fun though and we're having a good time training. When I move I want to find something more geared towards 'normal' agility.

DR, what I have at home (all hand made) are a dog walk, chute, 8 jumps, an A frame, teeter, and a tire. It was a nice start for us. I should probably get some weaves. When we first started I was working with a broom handle and some chairs until someone gave me their old equipment thankfully. Have you looked into classes? A foundations class would be what I go with first just to get the dog used to walking on planks and such.

ETA: How old is Jin? I know the collie in our class isn't allowed to weave yet and he's 8 months. He just goes through the bars that are spaced quite a bit apart. He also can't jump full height and runs the courses we set up for Summer and the JRT.