BC Boards

Legal stockcane for USBCHA trials

Hi, Everyone -

I recently underwent extensive knee surgery and will be trialing in about 10 days. The doctor said I can do anything I want, and this falls under that category (PLEASE, no flaming...) I still can't get around the field without some assistance, and my fiberglass stock cane does not support me well. What are the parameters for a "legal" stockcane for use on the field? If I have a normal cane like one would use to assist in walking, and it has a crook, is it still legal? Should I get a big wooden dowel and cut it down to size so there is no crook? I won't pull out of the trial for this, and would never ask someone else to run my dog, so those aren't options.

Any suggestions before I run to the drugstore and buy a cane? Thanks in advance -

Liz Klenk

I looked at the USBCHA rules and the ISDS rules and I could not find any mention of a crook.

This surprised me. Did I miss something?

Maybe someone will come up with something.

But, even if there is something in the rules, unless you are running in open/nursery, what is allowed

is completely up to the specific trial organizers and/or judge and/or course director.

Having said all that, I would be very surprised if you were not allowed to use a regular walking cane.

(I found a blind person's cane at a thrift store; I use it a lot in Open trials. Nobody ever seems surprised.

I guess it seems appropriate.)

charlie

Thanks, Charlie -

I checked the USBCHA rules last night and could not find anything either, but it was really late and I'm just a novice - this is my second USBCHA trial. The last one was Bluegrass last year, and we are coming back for more! Maybe some numbers instead of letters this time, and maybe a dog that doesn't help the sheep grow wings and fly over the fence, too! LOL!!!

I completely understand about the blind person's cane reference. My fiberglass one is white with an orange tip. I guess I could email the judge, explain my situation, and see what he will let me use. That way, I'm not caught unprepared beforehand. And I LOVE the idea of going to a thrift shop - you just saved me some $$ if I can find a cane at one of the many thrift shops in the area. Thank you!!

Liz

Many if not most handlers use a 'fancy' shepherd's crook for trialing, often with carved handles and such. The 'crook' part would not be something that is disallowed. Other venues do have restrictions on length, I believe. I can imagine a course director or judge forbidding something like a rattle paddle, or a rake, at the post.

Amy

Thanks, Amy!

I can feel more confident that I can walk on the course with an assistive device that doubles as a stockcane now! Stability is important...but feeling hobbled and not completely recovered is a real bummer.

Liz

I believe Becca on these boards has used a walking cane as a de facto stock stick after she was in an accident and needed a cane to walk. I can't imagine any trial forbidding any sort of cane that resembled a crook, since many of us carry crooks to the post, as Amy said.

J.

The rules state:

SECTION 8: CONTESTANTS

P. A contestant shall not enter the trial field at any time with any kind of training device. The trial management, representative, or judge must disqualify a contestant if he enters the trial field with any such equipment, and all entry fees and/or premiums pertaining to said contestant shall be forfeited. Such devices include, but are not limited to, electronic collars, dummy or weighted collars, a leash or rope that is not detached before the dog is sent, or any device used to distract or cause pain to a dog while it is working. The judge has the right to inspect the dog for any violation to this rule.

I consider a training device a rake, rattle paddle, pvc pipe or flag. I do not consider a walking cane as a training device.

I do remember at one trial that I judged that a person had a thin pvc pipe. I told them it was a training device and made that person borrow a proper crook. I considered the pvc pipe as a training device as there is a training center near me that uses them to train the dogs with and as a mean to hit the dog or as they say, push the dog out!!

I remember my very first trial. In a driving rain in Hickory Tavern, SC, at the handler's meeting for novice I was a nervous nellie. The venerable judge, Jimmy Langston, gave his instructions and added that no training aids were allowed. I nodded and thought, "What kind of bonehead would compete with a training aid - must be a real lout." Well, the judge, kind man repeated the prohibition and sort of looked at me. Duh, there I was with the only stick I had ever used - a tassel-less lunge whip. I threw it down like it was a snake.

Trialing - no place for the easily embarassed.

Good luck.

bill

I still use that old cane - $10 wooden one I got at Wal-Mart - as a stock stick. It's just the right height for me and yes, when I was in an accident I relied heavily on it for about a year to get around and no one had a problem with my taking it out to the post.

Hi, Everyone -

I recently underwent extensive knee surgery and will be trialing in about 10 days. The doctor said I can do anything I want, and this falls under that category (PLEASE, no flaming...) I still can't get around the field without some assistance, and my fiberglass stock cane does not support me well. What are the parameters for a "legal" stockcane for use on the field? If I have a normal cane like one would use to assist in walking, and it has a crook, is it still legal? Should I get a big wooden dowel and cut it down to size so there is no crook? I won't pull out of the trial for this, and would never ask someone else to run my dog, so those aren't options.

Any suggestions before I run to the drugstore and buy a cane? Thanks in advance -

Liz Klenk

You just go ahead and use your regular walking cane or a pair of crutches if you like. No different than using binoculars if you are vision impaired. Neither one would come under the guidline of a training aid in any Judge's opinion. Bob Stephens