BC Boards

Name Question

I was just wondering, how easy is it to change a dog's name? And, what is the best way to do it so they learn to respond to the new name? This would be for a two-year-old bc, although one has already had one name change.

A simple way would be to use the new name, immediately followed by the old name. She will be soon anticipating the old name when she hears the new name. As soon as she is responding to the new name, then use only the new name.

Good luck!

I've changed dogs names even after they've been used to me calling them by another for months (fosters turned adopted dogs lol). I generally just go cold turkey with the new name and reward any attention they give me after I say their name. Usually they start to respond to the new name very quickly. :rolleyes: IMO it's always a good idea to change a dog's name when it's a name associated with less than stellar environments, so I'd def change names on shelter or stray pups but would consider keeping a name given by a foster parent if I liked it.

I went cold turkey with both of the names I changed and both dogs learned their names extremely quickly. Harley, the Pomeranian, came to me as "Muffie" (really, and with an "ie" not a "y" at the end). Solo went through a number of name changes; his first owner called him "Franklin" (ugh and double ugh), I don't know what the next three or four called him, and the last one before I got him called him "Rip."

Cold turkey, agreed.

Have yummy treats in hand. Say dog's new name, feed treat. Dog doesn't have to do anything. Name, treat, pause, name, treat, pause etc. About 10 times. About twice a day will take only about a day or two for dog to figure it out.

I trained my cats' names this way and they come when I call them - they are outside only cats :rolleyes:

Diesel was originally Bandit for his first year, then Basil for about 3 wks from his foster then was Diesel by the day after I named him at 15mos old.

Ya, I don't think it's pretty hard. Our foster had no name recognition when I got her. I'm not really to sure the first foster home was so super hot, they had her for 3 weeks. I've had Kya for a month and she picked it up in about 4 or 5 days. (she's kinda slow compared to bc's) I would say her name and make a kissy sound, encouraging her to come close. Now, you say her name and either her head whips around or (if she's napping) her tail starts wagging.

What types of treats would you recommend for training like this?

Sorry about so many basic questions but I want to learn and be ready.

Why change his name at all. Jin responds to Blue, fluffy head, flupidy, and dogs. Abby also responds to Mookie and Mookness and dogs. It's kind of having a pet name for your kids.

What types of treats would you recommend for training like this?

My dogs go nuts for Bil Jac liver treats. When they see me get the treat jar, their butts hit the floor in anticipation of the first "sit" command. (I do tend to cut them in half, though. Makes the bag last a little longer.)

I was just wondering, how easy is it to change a dog's name? And, what is the best way to do it so they learn to respond to the new name? This would be for a two-year-old bc, although one has already had one name change.

Our female came with her name, Senneca, and although it wasn't a name that I would have thought of for a dog, I saw that she responded well to it and kept it. As a stray, she had picked up that new name in the almost two months she was in the shelter.

My current foster, Rhys, showed no absolutely no name recognition of his previous name, even though it was his name from a puppy (he's about 4yrs old, now). It took a month for him to accept me and respond to his new name. That's more because his attitude was "who the heck are you?" than not actually learning his new name. Once we had bonded, the name was no issue at all.

I will join to "cold turkey" group. If you do decide to change the name, just use the new name from the start.It helps to associate the name with something positive. Food is positive. Shake the food bowl as you call his/her name at each and every feeding time. Rattle the leash and call the name when you go out for walks. Your dog will start to think "that funny sound" means she is calling me for something good. I would use treats for training a recall, but not name recognition as such. BTW, I believe that names with high energy consonants (sibilants and plosives) are easier for a dog to hear and distinguish than softer consonants (labiles). Your choice of name may affect how long it takes the dog to learn it.

"sibilants, plosives, and labiles"--woohoo--you've impressed this linguist! :rolleyes:

A

Great, I always have string cheese in the fridge. I'll pick up some of the liver treats, too.

I made up a name list when I first started the adoption process and, being an archaeologist, decided on "Chaco." I wanted a strong two-syllable name with the sounds like mentioned above (linguistic background, too). :rolleyes: Thanks!

We were going to change Cobi's name (the name his first owner gave him was Korbin and rescue changed it to Kobe) because my husband (a sailor) wanted something with a nautical ring to it. But after he was with us a couple of days, we couldn't come up with anything that suited him as well as the name he already had. We changed the spelling, but so far, he can't tell. :rolleyes:

"sibilants, plosives, and labiles"--woohoo--you've impressed this linguist! :rolleyes:

Blush; mostly because I really do know how to spell Labials -- I shouldn't get carried away before my morning coffee. Yes, despite graduating in Chemistry (Theoretical Organic), I managed to figure out enough of phonetics to recognize a lateral fricative when I hear one, and design an algorithm to rank search items by pronunciation. Weird folks, these border collie people, right?