BC Boards

A couple of small victories!

One of the most difficult, remaining issues that we've been working on with Scooter is his herding of people when they start to leave our home, circling and barking at them as they go out the door. The last few days, he's done his circle, kitchen to dining room to foyer to kitchen, etc., but then stops, taking himself upstairs till they're gone and I tell him he's free. All by himself! YESSSS!!!!!!! Hoping soon he'll even stop the circling!

We've also been trying to teach him to put his toys in the toy basket by the fireplace. This morning I noticed out of the corner of my eye that he was standing very still next to the basket. When I looked, he had put his squirrel in the basket. It was like he was saying, "Hey! Look what I did!" We both did "the happy dance" and gave him lots of praise. He seemed really proud of himself. A few minutes later, he put something else in the basket. I think he's finally getting the idea! :rolleyes:

Always a learning experience, for us and him! :D

We've also been trying to teach him to put his toys in the toy basket by the fireplace. This morning I noticed out of the corner of my eye that he was standing very still next to the basket. When I looked, he had put his squirrel in the basket. It was like he was saying, "Hey! Look what I did!" We both did "the happy dance" and gave him lots of praise. He seemed really proud of himself. A few minutes later, he put something else in the basket. I think he's finally getting the idea! :rolleyes:

Always a learning experience, for us and him! :D

Ohhhhhhh that is fabulous! Love the description of her standing there like that. She must have been so proud. How did you teach her?

That is really great news, congratulations!

I began trying to teach Bonnie to put her toys away, she seemed to be understanding it, but then we moved interstate and I haven't kept up with that part of her training - you've motivated me to start it again. Hopefully I can post on here soon with news that Bon's putting her toys away too!

Ohhhhhhh that is fabulous! Love the description of her standing there like that. She must have been so proud. How did you teach her?

Well, first we started to praise him whenever he even accidentally put one of his toys away. Then when he had a toy in his mouth, I'd walk up to him, then to the basket, point at the basket and say, "In the basket." Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Apparently, something clicked. He just put his bone in the basket on command! :D Maybe we didn't need "..the basket" part, maybe "in" would have worked just fine, but we talk to him in sentences most of the time any way! :rolleyes:

Pam it's been a learning experience for over 35 years.

Well, first we started to praise him whenever he even accidentally put one of his toys away. Then when he had a toy in his mouth, I'd walk up to him, then to the basket, point at the basket and say, "In the basket." Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Apparently, something clicked. He just put his bone in the basket on command! :D Maybe we didn't need "..the basket" part, maybe "in" would have worked just fine, but we talk to him in sentences most of the time any way! :rolleyes:

Something always clicks eventually. Thx for the method I'm going to try it.

Pam it's been a learning experience for over 35 years.

Something always clicks eventually. Thx for the method I'm going to try it.

Me too... Right now! :rolleyes:

I've tried to teach Birdie to put her toys away. You've given me insentive to try harder.

Beautiful dog you have.

Thank you. :DWe think so, but we're a bit partial. :rolleyes: