BC Boards

Eating charcoal

desertranger

At last I get to ask a stupid question too.

Jin's been eating charcoal from the BBQ. Is this a sign of a dietary deficiensy or does he just like charcoal? Will it have any effect on him other than gifts in the form of tarry black piles left in the yard.

Also a question about corn products in dog food since I see a lot of it in dog food and read don't feed it to dogs. I just can't find out why because CORN is a 4 letter word and is rejected by the search function. I am surmising that dogs just don't digest it and it's used as filler. I would also like to know why it's used if it doesn't do the dogs any good.

My dogs like to go after the charcoal that's been used and "dripped on" by meat juices. Pretty tempting to any food hound. I don't know about any side effects, but I'd restrict the dog's access to it regardless. Can't be that healthy for the dog.

My dogs like to go after the charcoal that's been used and "dripped on" by meat juices. Pretty tempting to any food hound. I don't know about any side effects, but I'd restrict the dog's access to it regardless. Can't be that healthy for the dog.

It won't harm the dog - a common cure for flatulence is to feed the dog a charcoal supplement.

If you saw what our dogs eat . . . (yeuuuk)

Almost all charcoal purchased through retailers for use in home BBQs have additional chemicals added to help them burn more efficiently. Many have accelerants (like Kingsford Matchess" for example) which could be toxic. I'm not sure how much of the additional chemicals are left in spent charcoal but I personally wouldn't assume it is 100% safe. BTW, It is only "Activated Charcoal" that is used medicinally in the treatment of ingested poisons, etc.

My dogs will stand under the bbq pit and lick the drippings. THey don't care if hot stuff is drippin on their heads either. They of course long time ago stole the drip catcher. It's a big no at our place but if I leave it unattended the temptation is to much. IT's also been the place of heated arguments with each other trying to get the drip licks.

Is this used charcol Jin is snarfing?