BC Boards

AKC Weave Poles

I'm planning to buy my first set of 12 weave poles this weekend and am trying to decide which type to get (the kind with the extra base support now required by AKC or the old style). I don't know if I will be entering in any AKC trials (I would have to ILP Yoshi first), so I don't know if I really need the new kind (they cost 30$ more), but I was thinking it might be good to get Yoshi used to both types just in case. Any thoughts on this issue? Does it make much difference?

I don't think it will matter. I would go for the cheaper ones. Once my dogs knows weaves they don't care what they are weaving thru.

:rolleyes: What part of PA are you in? I live in the northwestern part of the state and compete in AKC agility...

If your dogs has ABCA papers you can get a full registration.

Thanks! Yeah, I was wondering if it would matter much to the dogs. Do you think the AKC type might be more stable since they have the extra base supports?

What are 1/2 bamboo poles?

To answer your question, I'm in south central PA near Lancaster. I've only been to one agility trial with Yoshi so far. It was a DOCNA trial, which has a nice, friendly atmosphere. Yoshi is from a shelter, so I don't have any kind of papers. I also suspect that he's a mix, but he probably looks BC enough for an ILP.

Thanks! Yeah, I was wondering if it would matter much to the dogs. Do you think the AKC type might be more stable since they have the extra base supports?

What are 1/2 bamboo poles?

1/2" diameter x 6ft long garden stakes made of bamboo. I've got tons of them I use for all kind of projects and in my classes. They are mostly used for teaching how to setup various types of temporary shelter in my classes. I thought that if I cut down half a dozen of them they would make good weave poles either stuck in the ground or in a base of some sort.

I would say Yoshi could definitely be ILP'd if you wanted to do AKC.

I'm not sure what the price of steel is at the moment but a few months ago it was outrageous - so hopefully your weave pole vendor will let you know if it is a wise time to purchase a full set of weaves or to wait a bit:)

I really don't think it will make a difference, my dogs adjust to whatever poles are available as we trial.

One thought - if you are considering getting another dog/pup to start at some point, maybe look at the nice adjustable channel weaves so you have that training option available to you as well. When pushed together they are pretty close to the "real thing" - maybe a little more cost but they can do "double duty" with training a new dog - just a thought!

Good luck, it is exciting getting your own real equipment isn't it!!!

Kathy

I made weave poles out of PVC w/ a PVC base. Easy to make, easy to move around, easy to take apart and put together. The only thing you should watch is the spacing. The venues are using 20", 21" and 22" spacing. I went with 21" spacing to compromise. Once the dog learns to weave, it doesn't matter what type of weaves they use, just the spacing. It doesn't effect TOO much in performance, but if they train on 22" and then compete on 20", they could bobble a little.

If you're looking at a nice metal base type, Max200 has great stuff. I got my 2x2's from them and they will out last every piece of gear I've got :rolleyes: Having weaves at home REALLY makes it so much better to train. 5 min a day is way better than a long class.

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting the AKC poles because she was out of the other type at the trial today. I got them from M.A.D. agility. Their prices seem pretty reasonable to me. Of course we practiced right away when we got home. Yoshi's been pretty inconsistent on them in class (sometimes he does 12 perfectly and other times he pops out of the last couple poles), so I'm hoping this will help. Any ideas on how often to practice, so that I don't over do it?

One thought - if you are considering getting another dog/pup to start at some point, maybe look at the nice adjustable channel weaves so you have that training option available to you as well. When pushed together they are pretty close to the "real thing" - maybe a little more cost but they can do "double duty" with training a new dog - just a thought!

Good luck, it is exciting getting your own real equipment isn't it!!!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy! Yes, it's very exciting to be getting my own equipment finally. I'm building up slowly but surely. I bought a teeter last fall because Yoshi was deathly afraid of them. He now goes over them very confidently and isn't afraid at all. It really makes a difference being able to practice at home.

I also picked up a couple 2x2 poles today for training (for that second dog I hope to get some day). I've tried the channels and the weave-o-matics, but became totally sold on the 2x2 method with Yoshi. I spent months trying the other ways and then borrowed a friend's 2x2 set and Yoshi was weaving within the week. It was amazing.

I also picked up a couple 2x2 poles today for training (for that second dog I hope to get some day). I've tried the channels and the weave-o-matics, but became totally sold on the 2x2 method with Yoshi. I spent months trying the other ways and then borrowed a friend's 2x2 set and Yoshi was weaving within the week. It was amazing.

That was going to be my suggestion!

For a dog who pops out of the last couple of poles, you can set up the 2 X 2's so the last couple of sets are "open" a bit and gradually close them up. That's what Susan does on the DVD. The nice thing about that is that you can pinpoint the trouble area exactly. Make sure you have something fantastic to throw as your reward on those. You will want to "jackpot" correct performance when working on trouble spots.

That was going to be my suggestion!

For a dog who pops out of the last couple of poles, you can set up the 2 X 2's so the last couple of sets are "open" a bit and gradually close them up. That's what Susan does on the DVD. The nice thing about that is that you can pinpoint the trouble area exactly. Make sure you have something fantastic to throw as your reward on those. You will want to "jackpot" correct performance when working on trouble spots.

Thanks for the tip Kristine! I hadn't thought about using the 2x2's just to open up those last few poles. I'll have to try that.

You might want to join the Yahoo group agility swap, people sell used equipement there as buying new can be frightenly expensive. I got my weave poles from another competitor on there. Im not to far from you Im live near Quakertown in Eastern Pa.