BC Boards

Transporting a BC to the UK

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this. I will be moving to England for a year in about a year and taking my 5-yr old bc with me. She is shy, so I'd like to make this as easy for her as possible.

I think I understand the forms, paperwork etc that will need to be completed for customs--that information is pretty clear on the website. But information about the actual transport is a little harder to come by.

Airline recommendations? We will be moving in the summer, so (as I think I understand it) she cannot go as checked baggage but must go on a special plane.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting clear information from any of the airlines (Delta in particular was a nightmare).

Obviously, starting to figure this out early is a good idea.

Wow, if they have special planes for shipping pets tot he UK, can I fly on one? Then we could take Fergie with us on our visits. As she is upset - seriously - by low pressure and loud noises, and she is 13 now, we are afraid to have her come with us. But if we could go with her....

here's a link for some of the info u are looking for!

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/index.htm

as for the airlines.. you'd have to ask.. usually there is a winter restriciton on travel due to the cargo compartments not being adequetly heated, but that depends on the aircraft type and specific airline policies

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this. I will be moving to England for a year in about a year and taking my 5-yr old bc with me. She is shy, so I'd like to make this as easy for her as possible.

I think I understand the forms, paperwork etc that will need to be completed for customs--that information is pretty clear on the website. But information about the actual transport is a little harder to come by.

Airline recommendations? We will be moving in the summer, so (as I think I understand it) she cannot go as checked baggage but must go on a special plane.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting clear information from any of the airlines (Delta in particular was a nightmare).

Obviously, starting to figure this out early is a good idea.

If you haven't already started you are probably too late for travelling in the summer. You have a 7 month process to go through before you are allowed to travel beginning with having your dog microchipped and vaccinated for rabies. Go to the Defra site and read the whole Pet Travel Scheme from front to back and understand completely what is needed. There are quite a few folks in the States who have done this and if you are near anyone who has travelled to the World trials they will be able to help you immensely. Everything must be done absolutely correctly, no mistakes, or you will be flying your dog back pretty quick. I would recommend highly the use of a travel broker who is up to date on the whole process and knows the ins and outs. I have been three times now and was the first to take pups to Scotland on the new scheme and it was not a nice experience the first time. Worked out but with some problems which were costly. I have used a broker each time going over but not always coming back as some airlines will fly back to North America with the pet as excess baggage. You cannot go into the UK other than cargo which is expensive. Download all the info from the Defra Web site to do with the Pet Travel Scheme and try and contact someone close to you that has been. If that doesn't work well for you get back to me and I'll help all I can........Bob

If you haven't already started you are probably too late for travelling in the summer. You have a 7 month process to go through before you are allowed to travel beginning with having your dog microchipped and vaccinated for rabies. Go to the Defra site and read the whole Pet Travel Scheme from front to back and understand completely what is needed. There are quite a few folks in the States who have done this and if you are near anyone who has travelled to the World trials they will be able to help you immensely. Everything must be done absolutely correctly, no mistakes, or you will be flying your dog back pretty quick. I would recommend highly the use of a travel broker who is up to date on the whole process and knows the ins and outs. I have been three times now and was the first to take pups to Scotland on the new scheme and it was not a nice experience the first time. Worked out but with some problems which were costly. I have used a broker each time going over but not always coming back as some airlines will fly back to North America with the pet as excess baggage. You cannot go into the UK other than cargo which is expensive. Download all the info from the Defra Web site to do with the Pet Travel Scheme and try and contact someone close to you that has been. If that doesn't work well for you get back to me and I'll help all I can........Bob

I'm sorry. I thought you said you were travelling this summer but it looks like you meant next summer. So you have plenty of time yet.

I'm sorry. I thought you said you were travelling this summer but it looks like you meant next summer. So you have plenty of time yet.

Yes, that's right -- and why I'm starting early. I lived in the UK a few years ago & the paperwork for me (my visa)invoked a tangled web of misinformation. YOu say 'broker,' but I don't know what that means-- could you name some specific companies? We would likely be going in July or August.

(I have read--even studied--the Defra site, which is why I'm starting so early on this). I was just quoted a 1000 POUNDS cost, which seems high.

It can be a complicated system but if you follow things step by step you should be ok. I have not transported from the USA but did repatriate my pets from Belgium back to the UK through the Passport for Pets Scheme.

You will see on the DEFRA website the list of approved carriers (AA, US Airways, British Airways, Delta to name a few). Pets have to travel as cargo and are not permitted to travel in the cabin with you on long haul flights. At least six months prior to travel (and up to one year I believe) the pet must be vaccinated against rabies regardless of whether they are due to be revaccinated or not. They then have to have a blood test and the blood must be sent to a lab in the USA approved by DEFRA to be tested for rabies anitbodies (these approved labs are also listed on their website). If the bloods are good then SIX MONTHS LATER the pets are free to travel. There are other procedures to be done close to departure but they are much less hassle - flea and tick treatments and health certifications 48 hours before travel etc. Pets have to travel crated in an airline approved crate with sufficient water/food for the duration of the flight and must be certified fit to fly by a veterinarian prior to flying. The dog must also be microchipped with an approved microchip - one that can be read by the microchip readers used in the UK.

If you are not traveling with your pet you will have to have arrangements in place for someone to meet the flight on its arrival at the airport in the UK.

Hope this helps a little! :rolleyes:

You are SO lucky. I took 2 dogs with me to England in '89. $5000 for 6 months quarantine, and the younger dog died a month after getting out. The vet did an autopsy (she died 8 hours after getting visibly sick) and said it was a rare blood disease. He also said it PROBABLY was caught in quarantine, but there would be no way to PROVE it.

Also, when I returned, the vet at the airport said the kennel my dog had used for 12 years was too small, and I had to buy a huge kennel the airport just happened to have in stock - or leave the dog (Chris, my BC mix) behind. The crate was nearly 6' long, and 4.5' high. I asked if I could use the kennel and let Chris take my seat...