BC Boards

`Can your dog bark silently?

It can be funny to see. If Meg is having an over excited barking outbreak I tell her'no' and wag my finger at her. She can then manage to bark but without any noise! All the mouth and head motions are of a full blown bark but only the tiniest squeak is heard. Is this unusual or do most dogs have this ability?

We have "indoor voices" too! It is funny...if only they'd choose that option by default, I'd be all set! :rolleyes:

My Jun does! She is deaf, so sometimes I'm not sure she knows the difference between a loud bark and a silent bark--she can definitely bark very loudly too! She usually does her silent barks when I have her in a down-stay too long and she thinks it's time for me to release her. Her silent barks are usually accompanied by a stomping of a front paw--pretty funny! Like a kid throwing a tantrum!

I don't know how unusual it is, but "whisper" is one of Quinn's tricks. It is usually silent and often involves snapping. He does this when he is happy and wants to play or thinks it's time for dinner. I thought it made a good trick so put it on cue. The snapping cracks me up. The clacking of his teeth reminds me of a puppet that used to be on TV when I was a kid -- Garfield Goose who communicated by snapping his beak and tapping it against things. The last time the house sitter watched him, she asked on one of our calls "What does it means when Quinn snaps at me?" Which she then clarified to say he wasn't being threatening. I told her he was looking for some sort of interaction with her -- either play or food.

Sophie does it, too. We call it "snappyface," and she does it when she wants something and is getting a little frustrated or when she is tired of watching me at the computer and wants me to turn it off and go have fun outside...

Both girls know speak and whisper. Desertranger, I first captured it with Sam and reinforced/rewarded when ever she'd give a small woof. Shonie learned it from Sam. Be warned, though, Shonie has developed quite a vocabulary and will woof under her breath when I tell her to be quiet. It's actually kind of cute to watch her cheeks puff out.

Ruth

My Jun does! She is deaf, so sometimes I'm not sure she knows the difference between a loud bark and a silent bark--she can definitely bark very loudly too! She usually does her silent barks when I have her in a down-stay too long and she thinks it's time for me to release her. Her silent barks are usually accompanied by a stomping of a front paw--pretty funny! Like a kid throwing a tantrum!

LOL!

Daisy is not deaf, but does the same thing! Daisy mostly does it when she is trying to get our attention, like, HEY! Toss that toy! or PAYATTENTIONTOME! and they are also accompanied by a jab at you with her front paw. Too funny! It looks like a bark, but all you can hear are her teeth clacking together.

I have thought about putting it on cue to be cute. She will kind of growl under her breath when she is really excited and I've put that on cue, so this one shouldn't be so hard!

Our Meg also has a whisper, her bark is very loud and she's very enthusiastic about it. Whisper usually consists of a soft bark, and lots of jaw clacking which she usually does when she feels she needs our immediate attention.

Be warned, though, Shonie has developed quite a vocabulary and will woof under her breath when I tell her to be quiet. It's actually kind of cute to watch her cheeks puff out.

We get the same response with both Boots (bc) and Smudge (Toller). First we get the quiet woof witht he puffy cheeks. Then Boots will give an eye roll and low grumble, not growl, but grumble, I've never heard something quite like it. And Smudge will give a high pitch but quiet squeaky noise. It's real great when the get going together. Then Renoir starts this nervous, vocal yawning that is just adorable. I swear I get told off more often by them then I ever did from my mother.