BC Boards

Hello again

Hello BC Boards. Its taken me a few years to get over Spanky's early death. We have recently gone out and gotten a new BC puppy that we will be getting in 2 weeks. We were thinking about getting two of them but were interested in knowing how they may interact with each other. Any of you out there have two same aged dogs (siblings) that were raised together. I think it maybe good for them to have a play mate other than the cat? The cat is good with dogs as she was raised with spanky from a kitten. Our yard is large and fenced in as it was for spanky and the in/out door is still there and operational. Maybe now after gettin a BC again, maybe i can enjoy some of the pears off of my tree since the squirrels always eat them. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

I would recommend that you get one, and when that pup is well trained and settled in, you get a second one of the opposite sex. I am sure that Beth G. will contribute to this thread, as her two are only three weeks apart in age. For one thing, you never know for sure which pup did the dirty or destructive deed that you discover, so don't know which one needs more watching or more confinement. As I am fostering a puppy now, I am reminded that puppy raising is a full time job, and that is ONE puppy! I understand that if you get siblings, there can be a LOT of jostling for position as they mature. I think this may be the case for non-siblings close in age. The other option is to adopt an adult or young adult dog, and when then dog is settled, which will be sooner than a pup, you can then get a puppy. I understand your thoughts about getting two, as I am obviously one of those who couldn't just have one! But I wouldn't get two puppies together!!!!

Kathy Robbins

I have two very closely aged pups, from different parents and from different states... and while they are a handfull (MAJOR HANDFULl :rolleyes: ) they are great together! they have to eat and sleep and play and get loves together! and I know alot of people I have meet along the way of life have told me that sometimes, two is eaiser then one :D

dogs073.jpg

Yup Popcorn is only 2 weeks younger than Pepper.

They do EVERYTHING together. I am just a nutty person who seems to love to take on animal challenges. But being disabled and home all day helps and training them gives me something to do that I really enjoy.

We already had Popcorn two weeks, when I called a BC Puppy AD possibly looking for a BC for my husband who had fallen in love with the breed after meeting Popcorn.

The woman begged me to take TWO pups! Said her husband was going to shoot them all(the adults as well)!!

So we took Pepper. And tried not to think of the fate of the others...

Pepper was so sickly(she had a major roundworm infestation that had gone into a dangerous bowel infection needing antibiotics!)

And she was malnourished and full of fleas and other worms as well.

But we got her fixed up and then over a bladder infection and major allergies (to wheat and corn)that made her go bald twice. Now she is so gorgeous!

She finally has a gorgeous full coat, and vigor, and is now in good health.

Her and Poppy, are just the best of buds. Both full of vingar. Still working out their little dominance issues- but now much calmed down

Also we fixed them at the same time. It is the way to go because that way they are both out of commision at the same time. Easier than having one crying to play with the other and the other driving you nuts coz one can't play...lol.

They take alot of work and attention and outside time no matter the weather. (But it really does unwind me to toss that ball for them).

Most of all make sure that you do split them up for awhile each day,so that they bond to you and not just each other.

But their having each other does help them work off some of that energy too for the time of day, when you can't play ball...lol.

But make sure you also play with them everyday. And train them separately. That works best.

The only problem that I have had with the two is some dominance marking in the house. Which actually seems like it might be fixed now...

But anyhow- Good luck!

I'd say no. Personally, I want my dogs to be bonded with me before they are bonded with each other. It's harder for that to happen when you have two pups the same age. The other pup is often more exciting than you are, so that's who they want to spend their time with. This can make training harder also.

I would get one pup, and then add a second pup or dog in a year or two when dog number one is pretty well trained. Two young dogs will enjoy playing with each other, and you will be glad that at least one of them has had a bit of training!

Yes that does seem to be the consensus on the way to go.

It would definately be alot less work for you that way, to just get one pup at a time.

Honestly, the only reason that I think that it worked out for me is because I am home so much and I have the time to do all that stuff with them. I don't think I would reccomend having two pups at once though.

Maralynn,

you make a valid point!

although in my case, putting the second dog in the picture, has strengthend Shelb's and my bond. before, i was just the person who fed, played and trained her,as well as MAYBEEE being mommy and wanting my attn. sometimes. Since Pete is in the picture. she listens better, wants more love and is happier!

But I agree... at least bring them home a few days apart. but THEN again, a breeder who keeps a few from a litter... hmmm... its up to you!

You know I thought it was just me but it seems Poppy is closer to me too now that we have Pepper.

He also has some days where he is way more possesive over me in front of her too. We are working on that though...

Shelb's mum -

I do see how that could happen - I think my Miss is a bit more of an attention hog now that Kipp is in the picture. But I think it also has to do with the fact that you had Shelby a few months before you added Peter - Sibling Rivalry :rolleyes: , they love each other, but compete for mom's attention!

I think littermates are already bonded to each other. Take them into a new situation together, and they come with a security blanket and playmate, and don't fell the need for human interaction as much.

Now, that said, I know it can work - you've just gotta be very well prepared for it!

If I were to get two pups (which I personally wouldn't) I would get a male and a female. I have two females (1 year apart) and they were fine together (wonderful, actually) until they were about 4ish (long enough for us to love them both equally etc) when they began inter-dog aggression. You see they are equally dominant, sized, ranked etc so they are always testing one another and it takes very little for an escalation and an out and out fight, which will NOT be resolved and may eventually lead to a death or fatal injuries.

I would personally, get one, have it for quite a awhile and ensure that it was trained and amenable to other dogs etc and then consider the second... getting two for company doesn't always work and the result can be heart breaking. Two people don't always get along, I don't understand why I assumed two dogs would?

Sara

Maralynn makes a really good point - you want each pup to bond with you individually and that is difficult when the pups are the same age and raised together - they will most likely be bonded really strongly to each other.

Another point to consider is that if you get two pups together, years down the road you will have two old(er) dogs at the same time. This means potentially twice the vets bills as older dogs start to need the twice yearly blood work and any other additional vet needs that may crop up. And though it is sad to consider, the possibility of two dogs going to the Bridge around the same time.

I don't mean to be a downer, but this is something that I have had to face this past month as I have 3 cats (2 that are littermates and one that is a half sibling and 11 months younger); one which has recently been diagnosed with severe heart disease and a second one which looks like he might have the beginnings of heart failure as well.

Nothing in life is certain, of course, but I personally would wait a few years between pups.

everybody has made valid points :rolleyes:

and I do have to add, that I didn't plan on having two of the same age. it just sort of happend, I don't that I would have made this choice, but Shelby and Pete have bonded so much already, and he fits so well into our family, I feel as if the choice to have two of near the same age was made for me.

My girlfriend wants another dog. I got Lance and he is our only dog but she has been hinting, well actually she is pretty blatant about it, that she wants a dog to call her own too. She wants a female siberian husky and wants to raise it from puppyhood. I don't know what to say. I don't think it's a bad idea really. I know Lance would love to have another dog around the house.

She has always wanted a husky and I want her to have what she wants. She is home a lot though, so I think we could handle the two pups. And I know Lance has already bonded strongly to me in the last 6 weeks. I think we are probably going to get a second dog.

AWESOME and thanks for the responses!!!

I had pretty much made up MY mind concerning getting two pups but was under pressure from the family. I/we will go with the one dog for now as he will not only have us to train but will also have the Ella the cat as a play mate. Thanks to all who responded. I will post his pic here soon.

Thanks

Honestly, what I would recommend is either what everyone else has said (get a puppy now, wait, and add another later), or, let the new puppy settle in and then maybe add another dog that is already 1 - 2 years old.

We did that. The puppy was 10 months old and the new girl was about 2 years old. They became great playmates and we didn't have the challenges that come with having a baby puppy twice.